Fiesta Faction banner

EU Projector headlights?

28K views 59 replies 31 participants last post by  MasterFocus 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Anyone know if the European projector headlights would fit on our American Fiestas? This site has them for ~500 USD:

European-Parts

They really do make the car look spiffier, and since they're projectors, they probably won't blind oncoming traffic if retrofitted with HIDs.

And here's a link on how to remove the headlight from a European Fiesta:

The Mk7 Fiesta Bulb Change Guide ! - Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums

The openings appear to be the same shape or size, but you never know. Maybe it'll be easier just to black them out, like seen in some of the LAIAS concept Fiestas. Next up would be trying to retrofit a European front bumper and hood. :D (Doubtful, there are probably some beams in the way...)

- Michael

#2 ·
A stay away from European Parts. B its unknown if they're different from US spec Fiestas. Bryan did you ever look at the connection on your Euro Fiesta to see if it was the usual Euro Single Plug or dual plug.

#3 ·
I did not get a chance to compare plugs, but from somebody who put US headlamps on an EU car for the LA show, I can tell you this.
1) The mounting pattern is the same, or pretty much the same. There may be one fastener that is not used when the housings are swapped.
2) Some wiring modifications are needed to get everything to work. That makes sense since the EU housings have extra light bulbs which are called City Lights or some other name that Golf called them. Either way, they are small bulbs in the housings that come on with the parking lamps. The EU projectors also have motors to move the lense up and down, those can't be used.

So, yes they will bolt in, but some modifications may be needed for the wiring. I put E-Code headlamps in my Mustang, so I am used to having to make a new harness for European lights. I have not ruled out going to the base model EU lights with the black housings since there is no factory projector housing that is black.

#4 ·
Just talk to Trevor at Fordpartsuk.com and don't mess with European Parts website. Enough of us here will tell you how horrible the owner is. But thank you for the analysis Bryan. I had assumed most likely that there will be wiring modifications as usual.

#8 ·
Ford Accessories made a number of blacked out housings for the "tuner" show cars. H&R, FSWerks/3DCarbon, Steeda/FRPP, and the Ford Licensed Accessory cars all had the dark headlamp housings. The last I had heard from somebody at Ford is that there are no plans to sell the black housings. As for the painting mod, it can be done. I did it to a set of Focus headlamps with good results.

#22 · (Edited)
First - here is a link: UK headlight in US Fiesta

Its basically a link that says what problems he ran into and how he got past them. The basic answer is that they will 90% fit.

Second - Mike says to put 'em in an oven... unless you have access to a bakery, they do not fit into a normal household oven. I have tried three different ovens. Also, I have tried a heat gun, but it doesn't work. If you want to know why the heat gun doesn't work, PM me and i'll fill you in. My next option was to cut and re-seal, but I don't want to be the first one to do this.

Third - Im just going to wait for someone (ford, aftermarket) to start making them and then i'll just purchase.

#24 ·
the difference in the fitment between the UK and US headlights has to do with the slight elongation that Ford had to do to the bumper and hood to keep the car up to US crash standards.

In answer to the question above - the fitment would be the same whether it was on a US sedan or hatch. Both US models use all the same fender, bumper and hood panels.

#28 ·
if it wont fit in an oven get a HUGE pot and fill with water, bring to a slow boil and lay the headlight in there for a short while until the glue loosens. I prefer boiling to baking because sometimes when baked the headlight gets this weird rainbow effect on the clear plastic that just bugs the hell out of me. boiling is a safer alternative. then paint and glue back together. done.

#31 · (Edited)
There have got to be some tax credits and incetives out there for starting your own business right now. :p
I'm not good enough at ANYTHING to start up my own business.... Let alone a successful one!! lol

It just kills me that this hasn't been seen as a potential goldmine in the U.S. market by someone.... It's not like there is a shortage of aftermarket parts suppliers. How much more could it have actually cost Ford to just supply them in the first place - if not as standard on certain models, then as an option? UGH!!!

#34 ·
Couldn't SOME supplier SOMEWHERE in N. America fashion some with projectors that just plug into our cars, so to speak? Could it really be that difficult?? I see all kinds of cars on the road all the time with what are obviously aftermarket projector beam headlights. Why should it be so hard to get some for our cars??

#35 ·
Of course it could be done.
Why don't you do the research on all the costs of manufacturing and DOT licensing. How many units you might sell. Figure the cost per unit and start your own business.

Dave

#37 ·
See my earlier post above...:rolleyes: There are so many established companies who already do all that sort of thing daily, that the mind boggles that it hasn't already been done. That's all.

This post has been deleted
#43 ·
I thought about buying a set to take apart and paint black. I did that with my ZX3 and it was super simple. Heat gun, hairdryer, and an exacto knife made for a quick job to take the lamps apart. The replacement OE lamps are still pricey in black, so I hope either FRPP or Ford Accessories offer a set at a more reasonable price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.