Fiesta Faction banner

Problem going into reverse (manual)

48K views 46 replies 28 participants last post by  FitnessJunkie10 
#1 ·
So I noticed that sometimes my reverse gear won't fully engage and will make the ugly scratching noise that it's not engaged. I've also had it pop out of reverse once on me. Do I just suck at driving manual or should I get it checked out?

#2 ·
Are you at a complete stop when shifting into reverse? Do you fully depress the clutch pedal? Make sure you are doing these two steps....however....

There definitely is something at issue with the stick popping out of reverse though...it's under warranty explain your issues and ask about any late TSBs that might have just been released.

Golfy.

#5 ·
OK...when you gate it into reverse you make use a moderate amount of force so as to make sure the shifter is actually gated all the way into R? Right?

IF you have done all the basics I've mentioned and the shifter is still grinding while you shift into R and or continues to pop out of gear there is something that needs attention...What you mention is NOT typical IMO.

I would set up an appointment with the dealer. It's worth it and its free to boot.

Make sure that you clearly communicate your issues and if need be have the tech and or service manager go with you in your car as you attempt to demonstrate the problems, if possible take a new Fiesta on the lot out for a drive and compare the two....are there significant differences? Likely you have an issue.

#6 ·
I used to get the scratchy noise you describe, but as mentioned in a previous thread it's due to the reverse gear not having a synchro.

I usually shift to 2nd without releasing the clutch (since I'm usually parked in 1st) before putting it in reverse and I no longer have any problems.

#7 ·
As I mentioned in an earlier post the Fiesta's reverse gear is of the non-synchro type. Thus you will get a little crunching when shifting into reverse unless you use a little-remembered technique from back in the day when all gears, even forward ones, were non-synchro called "double clutching".

Basically the technique is this:

- Push down the clutch
- Shift into neutral
- Let up the clutch
- Wait about a second
- Push down the clutch
- Shift into reverse
- Let up the clutch

if you do this you should be able to avoid the crunching sound.

#10 ·
mine does it too..its called not pulling the shifter into reverse hard enough lol. Although it is sometimes annoying i have noticed it takes a little more effort to shift into reverse then any of the other gears

#11 ·
It is true that generally in most stick boxes you need a bit more "positive" throw into reverse than the forward gears..that nature is normal..the other things the OP spoke of are generally not.

#14 ·
Same issue popped up during the Fiesta Movement. We had a special place for the agents to talk and tons of people had "going into R" complaints. I suggested going into 2nd, then putting the gearbox into R. That always seem to fix about 90% of the problem. You can also put the car in N, release the clutch, press the clutch back in, and then go into R. I have also noticed that if the clutch is not fully depressed, the gearbox doesn't like going into R. There is a nice feel to the gear lever when you are properly sitting in reverse, and be sure not to back up until you get the proper feel. If not, you will hear the horrid sound of gears grinding.

#15 ·
Before I started doing the 2nd to reverse thing I would notice that sometimes I couldn't get all the way into reverse. Everything felt like it was in gear except for the fact that it wasn't going as far back as it should. The first time it happened it popped out of gear. 2nd -> R and making sure that the clutch is all the way down should take care of it. I no longer have any problems going into reverse.

#16 ·
Drop it into another gear before engaging R...

...sometimes the synchronizers aren't, um, synched.....They stop the transmission gears from spinning at different speeds...so you can shift gears. Dropping into another gear first engages the synchronizers, so there's no crunching and no popping. It also helps the synchronizers last longer.

#17 ·
I always leave my car in 1st gear when I park it.
When I back out of the driveway in the morning I always shift
it directly from 1st into reverse and have not had any issues with
grinding or getting it into gear.

#18 ·
reviving this thread again. i do the 1st-Reverse method every time. about 50% of the time, it doesn't fully go into reverse. i can yank down on the shifter all day trying to put it into reverse. i'll get it as far down as it goes, let off the clutch, and get a HORRIBLE grind. i then put it in neutral. the car is slowly in motion at this point and the shifter will now fall into reverse. anyone else experience this?

#19 ·
From the manual

Reverse
Make sure that your vehicle is at a complete stop before you shift
into R (Reverse). Failure to do so may damage the transmission.

Hold the clutch pedal down and move the gearshift lever into the neutral
position. Wait at least three seconds before shifting into R (Reverse).

Note: The gearshift lever can only bemoved into R (Reverse) by moving
it from left of 3 (Third) and 4 (Fourth) before shifting into R (Reverse).
This is a lockout feature that protects the transmission from accidentally
being shifted into R (Reverse) from5 (Fifth).

If R (Reverse) is not fully engaged, press the clutch pedal down and
return the gearshift to the neutral position. Release the clutch pedal for
a moment, then press it down and shift to R (Reverse) again.
Basically what everyone else has said...wait a few seconds after going to neutral...double clutch...make sure the clutch is fully engaged.

The other part that probably isn't the issue, but is interesting, is the fact that you have to move the shifter to the far left before moving to the right and then into reverse.

#20 ·
From the manual

Basically what everyone else has said...wait a few seconds after going to neutral...double clutch...make sure the clutch is fully engaged.

The other part that probably isn't the issue, but is interesting, is the fact that you have to move the shifter to the far left before moving to the right and then into reverse.
By my own experience, every car I drove was hard to put in reverse sometimes. My Fiesta did pop out of gear once, but that was only because it wasn't fully inserted. Basically, if it doesn't work, go back to neutral and release the clutch pedal, press it again and try to go in reverse again. Works every time !

#22 ·
It is pretty typical for manual tranny cars today (ordinary ones) to NOT have a reverse syncro...

My last two VWs have not had them 84 Rabbit, 95 Golf GL...and as long as I depressed the clutch fully to the floor...only very rarely did either have a balking engagement into R..but it did happen though, just rarely...again make sure you wait the recommended 3 seconds after starting the car to engage reverse, making sure you fully depress the clutch.

Another tip.... make sure that when engaging R use a firm, rapid, positive movement into the gear. I did notice that with my VWs that when you moved the shift lever very slowly into R it would cause the occasional balk.

#24 ·
Difficult going into Reverse - Ford is aware of the issue.
Oasis Message from Ford:
Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles equipped with a manual trans may exhibit difficulty getting into reverse gear or grinds into reverse is caused by a non-synchronous reverse engagement inside the trans & is considered a normal characteristic. The difficulty has no effect on the performance or durability of the manual trans or the vehicle. For best results car must be at a complete stop before attempting to shift into reverse or engage a forward gear before reverse. Refer customers to the owner guide instructions to engage reverse.

#30 · (Edited)
i was told by my local dealer that what iam experiencing is a common problem and that the parts are on national backorder and have no arrival eta. anyone else experiencing this?
Hi whiteboyspooky,

I want to check into some additional assistance. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Did they tell you which parts where on backorder? I've changed my driving style a bit, when I go to put it in reverse, I somewhat double-clutch and it works 100% of the time now...

At my next dealer visit, will tell them about it, plus all the rattles I have.
Hi jproy12,

My offer extends to you, too. :)

Meagan

#29 ·
Did they tell you which parts where on backorder? I've changed my driving style a bit, when I go to put it in reverse, I somewhat double-clutch and it works 100% of the time now...

At my next dealer visit, will tell them about it, plus all the rattles I have.

#39 ·
Responding now! :)

I'm ignoring it for now, if they can't replicate it at the dealer, then there is no problem.
I'll be here if you need me.

Thanks, but I'd have to contact the Canadian Ford service Rep, which is l/was Brittany or Nikki? For now I'd leave it be, thanks for the offer though :)
Sounds good, and yep, Brittany or Kwasi. :)

Meagan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.