Fiesta Faction banner

Clutch Noise

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  shleets 
#1 ·
When I'm starting the engine with the clutch fully depressed, there's a high pitch whining noise until I let off of the clutch. It's not very loud, but I'm curious. Is this normal? I'm new to stick :)

#4 ·
Been driving sticks a long time. Last time I had that kind of noise it was on a 65 Corvair and it was a worn throwout bearing. (Kinda' like a distant sewing machine set to warp speed whine but no vibration and only when the clutch pedal is depressed.)

Doesn't make much sense for a new car to have that issue...

#5 ·
Is it just when you start the engine?

When you're starting the engine, depressing the clutch prevents the gears from engaging, while turning the engine over....think of it this way, the engine is beginning to turn over, and then there's the clutch which stops all that at the point where the engine meets the tranny, which also wants to move in synch with the engine. I think hearing the clutch doing it's job and springing to life is fairly normal, esp. if you're unaccustomed to it. The chances of a throw out bearing being the culprit here on a new car is nitch in nitch nitchy. It's also true that the clutch plates need to be worn in to each other for the first few hundred miles, and you might hear or feel something different, it's part of the 'break in' process.

If you continue to hear this when the car is underway and after break in, then there might be another issue.

#7 ·
I got the noise today after I started the car and put it in neutral to warm up for a minute. I then pressed in the clutch to goto reverse and I heard the distant whinning of the clutch. I let off the clutch and went away pressed it again and there it was. I guess I'll wait after 1000 milles and see if it is still there. Funny I've had the car a week and did not hear it till today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.