Fiesta Faction banner

Free 2-year Maintenance

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Bobby 
#1 ·
I've gotten a flyer in the mail that "reminds" me that the car came with 2 year maintenance, including free oil changes every 6 months. The funny thing is that I wasn't aware of this when buying the car, nor did anyone mention it at the dealership. Is this standard for all Fiestas?

#6 ·
It's probably just with your dealer. Ontop of that, it shouldn't be expensive to service the Fiesta for 2 years assuming you drive it 12k a year, it's only 2 oil changes and tire rotations. Shouldn't cost them more than $100 to do all of that for the 2 years.

#7 ·
Free is nice. But they don't offer that kind of thing without a very high expectation of getting you to part with money. I will almost guaranty you will be advised to "fix" something the first time you get you free oil change. And they will make it sound very critical. And if you're a female I will bet the "fix" will be much more involved with a much higher price tag attached. Am I cynical? You bet. I've seen it in action as I stood in the service desk waiting to be "serviced".

My daughter brings her car to be serviced (just an oil change). They tell her she needs all kinds of repair work. I show up as ask about it. Repairs are not really that important and are not necessary at this time.

#8 ·
OK it's definitely a flyer from the dealer, but I was hoping that it's a deal for everyone, just like many manufacturers have new car free maintenance periods. However Chan is right, it's not really that huge of a deal, since the MFR recommended oil changes are fairly far apart these days.

Norm, you make a good point and I'll have to watch for the "bait and switch" when taking the car in for oil changes. If it wasn't for this promo I'd probably take it to a place that only does oil changes, since the dealer is kind of out of my way anyway.

#10 ·
Dealerships are trying to make money!

Offering 'free' anything is a good way to develop a long term relationship (dependency?) with the customer. Key term: Long term. Other key term: very good judgement.

Very intelligent marketing and wise use of resources ($$) for a dealer to offer something that everyone needs (like oil changes) for free, to get you accustomed to the service dept. Once that comfort (habit?) develops, the other, normal maintenance issues are more likely to be addressed at that dealership. That's profit for him, which results from nurturing and maintaining a long term relationship, which, as we know, is good for both parties.

Only a truly foolish dealer would use free oil changes as a ploy to fleece the customer on work not really necessary. Typically, if someone in the back room has figured out that the customer is a valuable resource AND sees value in long term relationships, they're not going to use 'Free' as a way of stealing from you.

For those who have been victimized by shoddy, deceitful service practices, I'd recommend you not let the dealer touch your car, regardless of how 'free' that particular service is. Who'd want a scoundrel working on their car, even for free? Let them keep it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.