Fiesta Faction banner

Oil Catch can ?

7K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  f91 
#1 ·
One of the first things I did to my 2011 GT was install a Mishimoto catch can. The 11:1 compression tends to push a lot of oil into the crankcase and gets burned in the combustion chamber. The net result is a lowering of your octane rating and possibly, down the road, detonation or poor performance. To the skeptics, the catch can collects a couple of teaspoons of oil during a month of driving. Not just my car, but across the board.
My question: Is the 1.6 a different beast in that it doesn't need the catch can or could there be some benefits to installing one?

#3 ·
There is some oil vapor that enters the intake manifold from the PCV, so a catch can between the PCV and manifold would help. Be sure not to use one with dessicant as the dessicant particles can enter the engine. I have seen this on pneumatic systems where products downstream from the seperator/dryer have dessicant debris in them. Usually a catch can mounted low in the engine compartment that allows for filtering and draining would help reduce oil vapor entering the combustion chamber.

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
You aren't seeing the need is kind of why I posed the question in the first place. Has ANYONE actually ever looked? I'd be interested to know and on this engine, every little thing helps.

#8 ·
Dave- Thanks for stepping up. I actually ordered a new JLT catch can for my Mustang and I'm going to install the Mishimoto on the Fiesta. Let me know how it goes.

#11 ·
This car does not need a Catch Can as it already has a factory Oil Separator.

Item #2 is the separator.
However if you wanted to install an additional Catch Can, it should replace hose #3.

Dave

#12 ·
Nice work Dave. It answers the question "does it need one?". Yes and Ford put it in. I guess they engineered the 1.6 better than the 5.0!

#14 ·
Only made useless by the fact that Ford engineers saw fit to put an oil separator on a car that some people said didn't actually need one, right?:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.