Fiesta Faction banner

Milage Comparison

8K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  pseow 
#1 · (Edited)
Mileage Comparison

When I was shopping for a new car back in 2012, my number one criteria was that it has good mileage. I didn't have a big enough budget for a hybrid sedan/compact, so I focused on the subcompact market. When I found out that the Fiesta got better mileage as an automatic than a manual, it piqued my interest. Then I read a Autoblog review that said, "The Fiesta seeks out corners with the sort of ebullience normally reserved for kittens pursuing open boxes." That review sold me on the Fiesta.

However, the Prius C was coming out in March of that year and I found out it was rated to get 50 mpg! I was immediately interested in giving it a test drive until I read a Car & Driver review that said, "...the car always seems to want to stop moving, like a fat guy who labors through each day motivated by the thought of his next opportunity to sit." That review, and the fact it was going to cost $2,000 more, put me off on getting the Prius C.

Now, fast forward to 2013, and I still think the Fiesta beats out the competition when it comes to gas mileage. Below is a list of automatic transmission subcompacts and their mileages (city/highway)*:

• Chevy Sonic: 26/35
  • Chevy Spark: 28/37
  • Fiat 500: 27/34
  • Ford Fiesta: 29/39 (SFE: 30/41)
  • Honda Fit: 28/35
  • Hyundai Accent: 28/37
  • Kia Rio: 28/36
  • Mazda 2: 28/34
  • Mini Cooper: 28/36
  • Nissan Versa Note: 31/40
  • Scion xD: 27/33
  • Toyota Yaris: 30/36
  • VW Golf: 23/33

When I was researching the different subcompacts mileages, I was surprised to find out that the new Versa Note gets a better EPA rating than the non-SFE Fiesta. Personally, I get 30/47 with my Fiesta, so it still beats the Nissan from my perspective.

*The list does not include hybrid, electric, diesel, or turbo and supercharged subcompacts. Data obtained from www.FuelEconomy.gov and mileages are official EPA estimates.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice city mileages :D That's the thing I noticed from reading the different threads on this forum is that most Fiesta owners get better mileages than the EPA estimates (unlike the Fusion Hybrid from what I heard).

I'm hoping I can join the exclusive 50+ MPG Owners club one day with my Fiesta...

#5 ·
I still can't figure out how I can never get higher than 36... period, no cruise maybe?? I live in country, 43 miles to work, I hit 2 stoplights, rest is straight rural, oh well, have a nice evening!!

#7 ·
Yeah, most of us here can beat the EPA stuff easily. My brother is bettering the EPA on his Fusion Hybrid (well ... his first hybrid) - by 1 MPG. Dunno how he's doing on the new one. His first was wiped out by a texting driver. <shrug>

#9 ·
The EPA tests are done by the manufacturer!:eek: They follow the test procedures that the EPA has given them. Hyundia got into trouble for cheating. I think even there mid size car got 40 on the highway. I'd like to think because I can often beat the highway number on mine, I would beat the highway numbers on everything else. I know I wouldn't with the automatics.

#12 · (Edited)
I was curious to see how my list of subcompacts performed in real life. So I researched the information provided on Fuelly.com and compiled the following ranked list of the overall average mpg people achieved with their 2013 subcompacts*:

1. Chevy Spark: 37.8 (27)
  2. Ford Fiesta: 36.3 (39)
  3. Mini Cooper: 35.3 (10)
  4. Toyota Yaris: 35.2 (7)
  5. Nissan Versa: 34.7 (4)
  6. Honda Fit: 33.9 (75)
  7. Hyundai Accent: 32.7 (40)
  8. Chevy Sonic: 32.1 (50)
  9. Fiat 500: 31.6 (11)
  10. Mazda 2: 31.1 (9)
  11. Kia Rio5: 30.0 (28)
  12. VW Golf: 26.2 (11)
  13. Scion xD: N/A
I'm not surprise to see the Spark at the top since it's the smallest subcompact on the list. As for the Golf having the least mileage, I guess that's what happens when you have 170 HP :p

*Value is parentheses in the sample size. Mileage data for gas engines only. Includes automatic and manual transmission data.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.