Fiesta Faction banner

Focus ST vs. Fiesta ST

15K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  BRGT350 
#1 ·
The Oct. issue of MotorTrend had an article on the Focus ST. At first, I fell in love with the Focus ST, but then got to thinking... which features would crossover??

Here's a few features of the Focus ST that I hope transpire into the FiST (if we ever see it here):
-Overboost. I want. Gives the car it's 270 ft-lbs of torque for up to 15 seconds at a time.
-Gauge Cluster. Three gauges above the infotainment stack that includes water temperature, boost pressure, and oil pressure.
-Wide Tires. The Focus ST has 235/40R18's. I realize that might not be the most realistic, but perhaps some 215's or 225's on 17"??

This thread is really for two purposes.
1). Compare the features.
2). Hope for certain features.

Input is encouraged.

#2 ·
so i just looked up what this overboost thing is. it basically looks like a rpm specific boost controlled done through the computer. this is a common in cars using custom tunes. what this does tell me, and is much more interesting than the actual silly button, is that the motor and fuel system can handle more boost than what ford gives from the factory. i cannot find what turbo exactly is being used on the car, but i did find one article that claims it has a max boost of 18psi, but it didn't specify if it's the motor or the fuel system that maxes out at 18psi. if the turbo is at max efficiency at 18psi, this also says that it's a tiny little hairdryer. now that's to be expected, as smaller turbos have better throttle response due to a quicker spool time, especially if it's lean spooled (which i doubt that ford will do).

so even in the stock configuration, some minor tweaking like a safc, boost controller, probably an exhaust, and potentially fuel upgrades and that thing should push a lot more power than what it comes with.

but back to your three points that you would like to see, one and two are probably feasible. three....no way. the fiesta st is only coming stock with 177hp. anything over a 205 is going to end up slowing the car down in all likelihood.

#5 ·
button to turn off TC and ESC, like the Focus ST would be fantastic!

As for wide rubber, I doubt they will go any wider than 205mm wide tires the EU Fiesta uses. I run 215's without issue, but I don't see the factory opting for those since there are probably cases where the 215/40 17 with a certain offset would impact the inner fenders.

Overboost would not be a big deal, but if the Fiesta ST had it, I would be using it all the time. I would assume the ST will be untunable, just like the regular Fiesta, so the overboost option would take the place that a tune could do.

#16 ·
This thread is really for two purposes.
1). Compare the features.
2). Hope for certain features.

Input is encouraged.
I removed the Focus ST from my list after I saw the turning radius number. I'm hoping that they don't make the same mistake with the Fiesta ST. Hope that Ford is reading this.

#21 ·
I hope the Fiesta ST's figure is close to that of the standard Fiesta.
It's 39.4 ft on Focus ST. Someone suggested that this was due to the wider tires and lower suspension than the standard Focus. One Autoweek test driver said that trying to make a U turn in that car was like doing it in an Expedition.

#22 ·
Every performance oriented model that I'm aware of has a wider turning radius than it's base model sibling.

It's indirectly due to the wider tires and larger wheels, when they add the wider tires and wheels they have to use different steering stops in the rack to prevent those wide performance tires from rubbing on the frame or suspension arms.

My SVT has a ridiculous turning radius and guess what? I couldn't care less, the number of times I need to make a u-turn is pretty small but the fun factor of driving my SVT compared to a regular Focus is HUGE.

#23 ·
I have 2 sets of rims and tires only because I got the "Summer" rims from TireRack and decided the tires on them would be dry/wet (OEM Kumho or the like) types whereas the OEM alloys are Kelly Optima snow/ice rated.

I've yet to have actual SNOW tires on any of my cars and the snow here can be in feet very often. The Kellys do well. then again, this double-set thing was my choice as it seemed a pretty good idea at the time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

#29 ·
Here's the quote from the Focus ST article and the link to it. Maybe she never drove an Expedition:

" ... the car's turning radius is abominable. At one point during our drive, an otherwise routine U-turn required three back-and-forths to complete the 180, making the compact Focus ST feel as big as an Expedition. "

2013 Ford Focus ST: Drive review - Autoweek

#33 ·
I test drove a Focus ST this past weekend and about the only negative I noticed was the turning radius. Its huge, of course, compared to my Fiesta but I have also driven many different Focus trims and it is huge compared to them as well. I made a uturn thinking I would have no problem and ended up having to change into a three point turn about a third of the way through.

That being said, I would buy one right now if I could. Very very fun car. I have a big decision to make now. Wait for the Fiesta ST, which will likely get better gas mileage (this article says 40mpg for Fiesta st) and hope I don't go out of warranty on my 2011 Fiesta by then (I have over 80k miles on the 100k extended Ford bumper to bumper warranty), or loose the MPG and get a Focus St this month.

I've also been looking at a Veloster Turbo, it seems to bridge the gap between true sports car and those of us who want to have just a little fun, but also want really good MPG.

#34 ·
Just FYI - I was browsing the inventory of the dealer where I bought my Fiesta. They have a white Focus ST with the ST2 package listed for just over $26,000.

Just for some context - I'm in KC MO, and I've seen 500 Abarths listed for as high as $25,000 in the metro area.

#37 ·
The ST models are enthusiast oriented, so they come with " summer" tires which are "better" than the typical all- season.
Most American drivers use there car as an appliance and couldn't care less about traction, handling etc. as long as it gets them to where they are going.

#38 ·
playing around with some power to weight ratios, I discovered that the Focus ST has 12 pounds per horsepower and the stock Fiesta has 20 pounds per horsepower. In order for the Fiesta ST to have the same power to weight ratio, the 1.6L EB needs to crank out 217hp. Hmm, that is well above the 170hp that is thrown around for the Fiesta ST. The Fiesta ST would need to lose a ton of weight or gain some serious power to be closer to the Focus ST. The gearing and driving dynamics of the Fiesta ST may mask the power difference, since driving the stock Fiesta with its 20lbs/hp ratio is actually very enjoyable. I think the Fiesta ST will be a joy to drive, but will never come close to matching the shear amounts of thrust the Focus ST provides.

Given the better power to weight ratio, more advanced suspension geometry, massive binders at all 4 corners, and an aftermarket that already embraces the Focus ST, I think the Focus ST makes more sense for me. I would guess the Focus ST3 isn't going to be much higher priced than the top of the line Fiesta ST, and you get so much more of a car. The only drawback to the Focus ST is the larger size.

Of course, this assumes that there will be a Fiesta ST for the US market, which I still think is doubtful. The Focus ST may be where more of the performance orientated Fiesta owners turn to when we find out there is no Fiesta ST for the US market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.