Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Tire Rack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Hill Start Assist

Anyone have this option on their car? Do you like it?

Thanks
    Clark

Default hsa

Im pretty sure all the dct(auto.) fiestas have this standard. it just holds the car from rolling back when you move your foot from brake to gas pedal when on a incline..so far havent noticed anything bad,just saw it light up once on info panel...

Yes, Hill Start Assist is standard on all Fiestas with an automatic transmission. As Krnac says, it is activated on hills to prevent the car from rolling backwards when moving your foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal.

Subaru has something similar, but for their manual transmission cars only. Not sure why Ford did not incorporate it with the manual transmission Fiesta. I think it could be a positive incentive to get more people to buy a car with a manual transmission, especially newbies who haven't yet mastered the art of moving a car forward on an incline from a dead stop. I know I've killed the engine too many times on my brother's old VW when stopped on a hill.
    2011 Fiesta SES
    Yellow Blaze - Charcoal Leather - 301A - PowerShift - Moonroof

Thanks for letting me know this.

I can't believe this feature is on their automatic. Who has trouble moving an automatic? It's supposed to be a manual transmission assist. Bewildering.

Oh well, there is always the handbrake. Or did they reserve the handbrake for just the automatics too? :P

Clark

Smile

I needed this feature on the auto recently. I was on an incline parked and when I put it in gear it started rolling backwards pretty easily. Almost like a stick shift with the clutch put in. I pressed the button and it held like the brake was on. Useful.

Quote Originally Posted by clark_dragon View Post
    Thanks for letting me know this.

I can't believe this feature is on their automatic. Who has trouble moving an automatic? It's supposed to be a manual transmission assist. Bewildering.

Oh well, there is always the handbrake. Or did they reserve the handbrake for just the automatics too? :P

Clark
    Don't forget that the Fiesta's automatic is not really a true automatic. It is a dual clutch automated transmission that is like a manual trans, with no torque converter. When the Fiesta is stopped the transmission is in neutral. If you are on an incline and release the brake, the car WILL roll backwards just like a manual transmission car. Hence the need for Hill Start Assist. People who drive a regular automatic are not used to their car rolling backwards when releasing the brake on a hill. Hill Start Assist maintains the brake pressure for a couple of seconds, just enough time for you to press on the gas pedal to get the engine RPMs up and the transmission into gear.
    2011 Fiesta SES

Default What about driving with it on???

I drive with mine on. When I want it to hold a gear longer like when I want to climb a hill. Its a lot more fun to drive with it in that mode but not to good for fuel economy.
    Blue Flame Hatch SES, Power Shift DCT, rapid spec 301A, Black Leather and moonroof

Quote Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post
    I drive with mine on. When I want it to hold a gear longer like when I want to climb a hill. Its a lot more fun to drive with it in that mode but not to good for fuel economy.
    Are you referring to the overdrive lockout button on the gear shift lever? That's not Hill Start Assist.

Hill Start Assist has no button to turn it on or off. It is activated automatically whenever the Fiesta stops on an incline. It maintains brake pressure for up to 3 seconds while you move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal, preventing the Fiesta from rolling backwards.
    2011 Fiesta SES

Default one button 3 names

One button has 3 names. Overdrive/Grade assist and hill start assist!
    The hill start assist only comes on automatically if stoped on a slope grater than 4 degrees. Other wise you have to press the brake and then press the HSA and it will stay on for a few seconds.
    Its also cancels out the overdrive and extends the lower gears.
    Blue Flame Hatch SES, Power Shift DCT, rapid spec 301A, Black Leather and moonroof

Quote Originally Posted by PappaWheelie View Post
    One button has 3 names. Overdrive/Grade assist and hill start assist!
    The hill start assist only comes on automatically if stoped on a slope grater than 4 degrees. Other wise you have to press the brake and then press the HSA and it will stay on for a few seconds.
    Its also cancels out the overdrive and extends the lower gears.
    Where did you get your information from? According to the 2nd edition of the owner's guide the overdrive cancel/grade assist button has nothing to do with the hill start assist feature. They are completely separate functions.
    2011 Fiesta SES