Fiesta Faction banner

Turning Off Traction Control *UPDATE with Scoop*

182K views 651 replies 113 participants last post by  Hammering hank 
#1 ·
I just downloaded the 3rd printing of the owner's manual and discovered something quite interesting. Apparently some Fiesta owners are capable of turning off the traction control system via the Vehicle menu in the center display. I say some owners because I do not have this selection available in my Vehicle menu.

This sounds like one of those on-going enhancements that is applied to a model throughout the production cycle. Question: Can this enhancement be applied via a software patch or upgrade to owners of older Fiestas?

And on a side note, the new owner's guide mentions an indicator light on the engine start/stop push button when the engine is on. My button has no separate indicator light. Does anyone else who has the push button start/stop have this indicator light?

#3 ·
quoted from the 3rd Printing:

Switching off AdvanceTrac
-If the vehicle is stuck in snow, mud or sand, and seems to lose engine
power, switching off certain features of the AdvanceTrac system may be
beneficial because the wheels are allowed to spin. This will restore full
engine power and will enhance momentum through the obstacle.
-To switch off the AdvanceTrac system, select traction control off
through the vehicle setting menu in the multi-function display. Full
features of the AdvanceTrac system can be restored by selecting TCS
again or by turning off and restarting the engine.
-If you switch off the AdvanceTrac system, the traction control system
will be de-selected in the multi-function display and the stability control
off light will illuminate steadily. Selecting the AdvanceTrac system again
will turn off the stability control off light.

I'll have to check for this when I get home tonight....

#6 ·
somewhere I read about having your systems updated... maybe on the Ford owners website. I know that there was some Sync program I could download to check the version of software on the Fiesta.

#8 ·
I'm hoping this feature can be added just by downloading a firmware patch. It's not like Ford added a physical button on the instrument panel to turn off the traction control. This is a feature that was programmed into the car's existing vehicle menu structure.

I'm hoping one of our Faction service techs will shed some light on this.

#9 ·
#10 ·
It would be great if there is a way for us with the early production cars to get a reflash that would add that option to our menu. The traction control system is horrible on ice, even with Blizzaks. The car won't let the wheel spin, so you sit with your foot stuffed to the floor and the car just sits still at idle. If you can find some snow off the road to drive on, you can get out of the ice. I ran into this last year on Christmas morning after a snow/ice storm. If anyone finds out more about a possible reflash, please let us know!

#14 ·
I brought my car in today and the only modules that have a reprogram feature ,at this time, is the PCM/TCM (Powertrain Control Module),APIM (Audio Protocal Module) and GPSM (Global Postion Satellite Module). This is after I updated my IDS to the latest level.

Ok I guess I need to explain a little further how the IDS system works for programming and reprogramming. There are four different choices in the module programming section.

PMI (Programmable Module Installation) which is used when installing a new module. This selection has pretty much all the modules in the car and it reads the data and setup in the old module and transfer it to the new module.

Module reprogramming is the selection that is used when there is a module update from Ford and right now only includes the PCM/TCM,APIM,GPSM as stated above. If Ford comes out with an update for another module that isn't included in this section then they just add it to the update for the IDS tool. That is why I updated my IDS first before even trying this.

Programable Parameters selection is used for things like the DRL feature,Tire size, IVD (Interactive Vehicle Dynamics) reset, Yes I looked in there also but no luck, Lane change flash and something else I don't remember at this time but had nothing to do with brakes.

The last choice is the As Built Data program selection. This is used if the old module is damaged/not available to use the PMI feature. The tech gets the As Built Data from the Ford tech website using the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) for the car that is being worked on.
Since I wasn't able to use any of the other sections to program the ABS/TCS off feature I would think that this is the only section that I would be able to use. In order to do that though I would need the VIN for a car that already has the disable feature and then use that As Built Data for the PCM/TCM, ABS/TCS module,IPM (Instrument Panel Module) and possibly the MC (Message Center) to enable the feature.
If anyone has a Fiesta that has the ability to turn off the ABS/TCS system and is willing to share then PM me your VIN and I will use the AS Built Data and try it again. If this works then I can give the ones that want to do this the As Built Data so that you can take it to your dealer and have it done. I am not promising that this will work but I won't know unless I try it first.

If this works and you go to the dealer to have it done they may or may not do it because it actually is making a functional change to a safety feature that wasn't originally installed in your particular car. As you might be able to guess some dealers ,and to some degree techs, don't like to open themselves up to that kind of liability in this day and age where lawyers would jump all over them if something goes wrong.

As final caution also if Ford ever does come out with this as a module update reprogram then it would be a warranty covered item. The best way to get this to happen is to get with your dealer and if this feature is available on later cars then have them contact Ford and get the data and approval to add into your particular car then the lawyers wouldn't be able to say anything or atleast it would be harder for them.

Sorry for the disappointment at this time but don't give up hope yet and if nothing else you learned more about part of the equipment features that I own/use to work on modern day vehicles.

#15 ·
Thanks for taking the time to research this, LMTech! I'm going to wait and see if Ford makes this a warranty related update. If not, no big deal (at least for me). I knew that being one of the early buyers of a Fiesta would possibly preclude me from getting enhancements that are made available at a later date.

#18 ·
Winter tires are only part of the equation ;) A lot of time it's the driver that makes a difference between staying on the road and into a snow bank.

cosmicrhino said:
The manual seems to indicate (if I am not misunderstanding the manual) that only TCS can be disabled, but not the ESC, isn't this kinda strange ?
NHTSA required ESC on all vehicles under 10,000 lbs starting in 2009. To the best of my understanding, TCS isn't yet mandated on vehicles, so that part you can turn on/off. In some ways, it's a bit redundant to allow this because they both use the same systems, and the way I understand them you could have a situation where ESC can override the disabled TCS.

LMTech said:
As final caution also if Ford ever does come out with this as a module update reprogram then it would be a warranty covered item. The best way to get this to happen is to get with your dealer and if this feature is available on later cars then have them contact Ford and get the data and approval to add into your particular car then the lawyers wouldn't be able to say anything or atleast it would be harder for them.
Usually the techs have some form of direct communication to the engineers. Maybe it's worth it to do what LMTech is suggesting and have your dealership technicians bring that message forward to the engineers and see if a module update is possible.

#17 ·
This is one of the reasons WHY I like waiting to buy until a model has been out for at least one year.

I was really surprised that there was no option to disable this system on the car, especially since with the manual tranny you have a lot more control over the car and increased safety with the electronic aids OFF.

I wonder if the omission of the ability to disable the ESC and TC was an oversight or intentional.

That is why I brought this issue up before the car even hit the street in the USA.

#20 ·
I had mentioned back in January why the TC/ESC did not get an on/off switch on the dash. I talked to the people who actually engineered the Fiesta and they simply ran out of room on the dash for an extra switch. The Fiesta I was driving got stuck on the highway going to the NAIAS due to ice and the TC would not allow the car to move. Steve Pintar and I had a long talk about the system and the recalibration that went on for the US version. We talked about using the menu as a possible option to get the system to turn on and off, along with using a switch mounted to the handbrake to turn it off with one click of the hand brake. Seth Beck and I also talked about the hand brake defeat back in LA during the auto show. The lack of a button was not an oversight by any means, the car simply did not have room for an extra button. By January, the design was locked in for anything that was molded or stamped. An electronic menu would have been the only option available, and that is what they ended up doing. I just hope the system can be updated on earlier cars.

#22 ·
BRGT350, what about the space on the IP center stack where the heated seat and "mood" lighting buttons are located. Is there one there?
Yeah...I have a "blank" button next to the driver's heated seat button. They could have put a traction control switch there.

#23 ·
that button may not be blank on all models. Along with Steve, I talked to somebody who worked on the interiors and they said they just ran out of room for everything. I think at one time the button next to the heated seat button was for something related to the PowerShift transmission. I spoke to some of the agents that filmed the web video's with the US spec cars, and the buttons were all active.

#24 ·
I'd like to know if the EU model has this "button" ?

I'm not buying that they ran out of room on this car, but more likely the lawyers were very influential in this case. Not that I would blame Ford unfortunately the US consumer will sue at the drop of a hat. While often times results in manufacturers doing whatever they can to limit liability or potential costs from legal action.

#26 ·
Golf, I have spoke directly with people who worked on the project and I am telling what I was told. None of the Fiesta Movement cars had any buttons, but I have seen one EU model with a TC deactivate button. It was located in the card holding slots under the HVAC controller. I think the US consumer along with the lack of space is why it did not come with a button. If you asked 100 consumers if they would value a TC off button, I would bet 95 would say they don't want one. The 5 who would want it are on here trying to figure out how to update our cars. :)

I do product design for a living, and sometimes it comes down to if the customer wants it, needs it, or is willing to pay more for it. If I was working on adding something for a small percentage of the buyers would want and I was tight on space, I would leave it off. In the case of the TC on/off button, the customer probably doesn't want it since they don't know what it would be for, they surely would not pay more for it, and an extremely small percentage actually need it. In 20000 miles and 1 year of driving the Fiesta, there were only a few times where I really needed it off. Both were during ice storms trying to go up hill. The US cars have a completely different calibration since the engineers found the same issue I had. How does the new calibration do in the ice? Not sure, but I will know soon. :(

#27 ·
... sometimes it comes down to if the customer wants it, needs it, or is willing to pay more for it. If I was working on adding something for a small percentage of the buyers would want and I was tight on space, I would leave it off.
I suspect that happened a lot in the EU-US conversion process. While Ford knew we wanted a "premium" small car, they also knew we wanted it to be affordable. If you look at similarly equipped Fiestas to the right of the Atlantic, they also cost more. To bring the cost down, we lost things along the way such as engine choices, heated windscreens, projector headlamps, automatic headlamps, a TSC button, automatic climate control, etc. These were probably considered "inconsequential" to the target American buyer. We did gain in other areas, though. We get blind spot mirrors, carpeting on the backs of the fold-down seats, ambient lighting, a more robust Sync™ system... and probably a few other things I'm forgetting...

#31 ·
Lets keep this thread on topic and avoid the usual US vs EU with no supporting data posting. At this point, most of what is being talked about has been gone over many times in the past months and has little to do with the traction control system.

#189 ·
Just read through this entire thread (again) and came up with a few questions...

This was the last week of October, right? Has anyone received a Fiesta that comes with a factory printed version of the 3rd edition manual? And if so has it had the TCS on/off setting?

Went to my car dealer yesterday and had a R. O. started.The sales person that sold me the car came out and checked the car per the,
quoted from the 3rd Printing:

Switching off AdvanceTrac
-To switch off the AdvanceTrac system, select traction control off
through the vehicle setting menu in the multi-function display. Full
features of the AdvanceTrac system can be restored by selecting TCS
again or by turning off and restarting the engine.
<snipped>
He found out that feature is not thier.So he got the shop teck to come out and he also checked and found out the same thing.The shop teck contacted Ford motor company and is waiting for a reply.

Dwight.
Did you get a 3rd edition manual with your car, or just have a printout of the one available online?

Hi everyone,

Just bought my daughter a 2011 magenta metallic Fiesta, and it is a great little car! We were going to get the lime squeeze, but I had a similar color in a VW Beetle, and after awhile, we both got tired of it. The magenta color is so unusual, it grows on me more each time I look at it. There certainly are no other cars that color on the road!
Yours seems to be one of the latest purchased Fiestas (although it may have been on the lot for a while?), so just curious what edition of the manual you have and whether you have the TCS option or not.

If you find one then send me the VIN in a PM so I can try it. I don't need the as built data I can get that myself using the VIN.
I didn't see any mention of anyone actually saying they have a 3rd edition manual that came with the car, or the actual option of turning TCS off. If they have but just haven't posted it, has anyone got a hold of you with the VIN number to let you try the build data from their Fiesta?

#34 ·
so on the newer models when the 2012's or whatever come out and say they have this button, how hard would it be to wire that into the old computer, i mean unless they completely change the computers hardwiring then there would be way woulnt there? just throwing the crazy idea here :p

#38 ·
A few random points. Not news for everyone, I know, but worth restating...

- AdvanceTrac is an suite of functions that work together to provide vehicle stability but that can also be calibrated to work ala carte as appropriate for a given vehicle platform. Functions of most interest in the suite include anti-lock braking, stability control (yaw), roll stability control (for roll over), traction control [both braking (symmetric and differential) and engine)]

-FMVSS regulations now require all vehicles to include abs and stability control

-It is legal for the OEM to provide a means to disable stability control. It is not legal for an OEM to provide a means to disable ABS. Traction control can be disabled

-It is legal for stability, traction and abs calibrations to have alternate calibrations for the customer to choose from (e.g. "Sport" or "Track" modes).

-To fully disable the system (except for ABS which must remain functional if so equipped), a physical button displaying the mandated stability control icon must be used. This is the icon that is a silouhette of a vehicle with the squiggly lines under the tires. Same as the slippery when wet road signs. The gauge cluster must also have an amber light of the same icon that lights up when the system has been disabled or an alternate calibration has been selected

-You cannot disable stability control from a soft menu screen selection in the cluster. it has to be a hard button with the appropriate graphic.

-Traction control ONLY disable features are often times included in menus inside the cluster

-Typically, when a 'get unstuck' Traction control only disable feature is included, it reverts to standard function above a certain vehicle speed (25-35mph range). There is usually no indication to the driver that this revert to full control has occured.

- Ford lawyers allow AdvanceTrac to be fully disabled on the GT500 which has 4.5 times the fiesta's horsepower, is rear wheel drive and equipped with summer only tires. Cost, package and perceived value for the target customer are likely responsible for the lack of a disable button on the fiesta

- The FoE guys aren't typically fans of allowing the customer to disable AdvanceTrac completely but rather give a sportier calibration. Do the FoE fiestas now have a physical disable/sport mode button? The one I drove a long time ago didn't. I was on a race track and was looking for it

My point in all this is that if an AdvanceTrac reflash does become available, it likely won't include a full disable mode unless a physical button is somehow integrated into the package. Additionally, if it includes a traction control disable, there is a good chance it will only work at speeds that aren't of much interest to performance drivers (e.g. for getting in an icy driveway). Hopefully there will be sportier packages available in the future that include sport and full disable modes.

#39 ·
that touches on a few points I have said in this thread, and in other threads in the past. I did not know about the physical button, but it makes complete sense.

The EU Fiesta's don't have an on/off button. I have seen one in a picture, but that has been the only one. That car may not have even been an actual production car. None of the Fiesta Movement cars had anything to turn the ESC/TA off. Nor did any of the EU cars being shown on the show circuit. Funny about the sportier calibration, as the US car actually allows for way more "fun" than the EU car. I used to get traction control and ESC to activate on dry pavement, on the street! It would be constantly on if I drove around a corner with some wet leaves. I hated the EU calibration. I could still get the back to snap out in the snow, but it took a lot of work.

#41 ·
On the EU Fiesta only the Zetec S has the on/off button for the ESP
If you look at the below picture, the button is just below the A/C controls

for some reason on the Titanium spec there is not the an option of disabling the ESP. That said, some Titanium owners have retro fitted the same on/off ESP switch as the wiring is there.

#42 ·
So it looks like they all have the wiring because the zetec needs it. I assume we would be less likely have the same ability. Does any one know what is behind there for sure? Also did any one find a car that has tcs off in the vehicle menu? My car does not have it either. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow soon and I'll see if i can find any thing new. This is the only thread I can find on the option in the 3rd printing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.