Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Please help support Fiesta Faction by clicking this banner!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    227

    Default I Use Fuel Injector Cleaner, Always Have

    And that's been a part of every oil change, for many years now. Every car we've owned that was fuel-injected, I put in a bottle of a name brand Fuel Injector Cleaner approximately every 5,000 miles or so. Now, on page 305 of the 2011 Fiesta Owner's Manual, it says I am not to add any aftermarket fuel additive products, on the grounds that doing so could result in damage to the engine's fuel system. It goes on to say that any repairs that might result from using such products may not be covered under the Fiesta's warranty.

    Is Ford serious about this? According to page 305, all I have to do to keep the fuel delivery system in excellent condition is to regularly use a "high quality" fuel, which, I presume, would include "The Hottest Brand Going," to use the old advertising slogan of the petroleum company whose gas I pump into the Fiesta's tank once or twice a week. But as we all know from experience, every once in a great while a tanker truck will deliver a less-than-perfect load of gas no matter whose brand it is. That's why I've always used injector cleaner. I operate on the theory that a $3 bottle of cleaner is slightly cheaper than paying a mechanic to replace one or more fouled/ruined injectors at $100 a pop + labor.

    And for those of us who live in climates where winter comes calling each year, many of us put a bottle of gas line antifreeze into the tank at least every other fill-up. Since this is also a "fuel additive" I guess this is taboo as well? Our car is not garaged, so using such a product is almost a necessity in places like MO in January, where we live.

    I'd like to know your thoughts on this. I've already added a bottle of injector cleaner to the Fiesta's tank after Tuesday's oil change, out of habit, before I discovered the bad news on page 305.

    Harry
    Last edited by Harry Ford; 11-18-2010 at 08:02 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Livonia, MI
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Today's fuels don't cause injector clogging like many years past.

    I would think that the additives in the cleaner may hurt some parts of the fuel system ... so I would follow the Ford warning!!!!
    Dennis

    11 Yellow SES, Auto, 301A, Blk Lther, Mnroof, Illum Plts, Armrest, Stripes, Grill, Spltr

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    279

    Default

    After you put some miles on your car try this.

    YouTube - BG Products Fuel Service Improves Gas Mileage

    I used this all the time when i worked in automotive.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Seneca, New York
    Posts
    4,371

    Default

    If you use any type of additive you're wasting your money and possibly causing damage. Think of it this way, if those products are so good, then why isn't the auto manufacturers using them and promoting them? After all it won't hurt their business and it might help them meet the Government mandate on mileage requirements. Ford, GM, Honda Toyota and all the other car makers are paying engineers and chemist big dollars to compete and design a car to give you the best engineered product possible. If these third party additives are so great why doesn't the gov't, ASME, the chemical industry and the independent like Good Housekeeping promote them?

    Gas at the pump is seasonally formulated to compensate for the change in weather and altitude. Unless you know specifically that you have heavey moisture in you tank you don't need dry gas. Too much dry can can corrode your lines, seals and pump.

    If you don't believe me, will you believe the The Car Talk Guys (Click and Clack, The Tappit Brothers)? If you're not familiar with them go to NPR Car Talk.

    And if you watch this video (YouTube - BG Products Fuel Service Improves Gas Mileage), it's very far from scientific. I bet they can't consistently repeat their results using many different drivers or cars. How did they do it the first time you ask? I willing to bet that they unconsciously drove much more conservatively. Although I can't site specifics I know that driver behavior changes when you think you have something that will improve your mileage. Until such time that you loose interest and revert back to one's old habits.

    However, on an old car that does in fact run rough and gets poor mileage then yes those products may help to some degree. But that's because the car was not maintained from the start. Like Tom & Ray said, "It won't help, but it can't hurt". But on a new car lets be safe and not stupid. Do what the manufacturer says.

    That's my two cents anyway. Just Say'n.
    Former 2011 Blue Flame Metallic SE Fiesta
    Now a 2014 Focus SE Hatch

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Ford View Post
    And that's been a part of every oil change, for many years now. Every car we've owned that was fuel-injected, I put in a bottle of a name brand Fuel Injector Cleaner approximately every 5,000 miles or so. Now, on page 305 of the 2011 Fiesta Owner's Manual, it says I am not to add any aftermarket fuel additive products, on the grounds that doing so could result in damage to the engine's fuel system. It goes on to say that any repairs that might result from using such products may not be covered under the Fiesta's warranty.

    Is Ford serious about this? According to page 305, all I have to do to keep the fuel delivery system in excellent condition is to regularly use a "high quality" fuel, which, I presume, would include "The Hottest Brand Going," to use the old advertising slogan of the petroleum company whose gas I pump into the Fiesta's tank once or twice a week. But as we all know from experience, every once in a great while a tanker truck will deliver a less-than-perfect load of gas no matter whose brand it is. That's why I've always used injector cleaner. I operate on the theory that a $3 bottle of cleaner is slightly cheaper than paying a mechanic to replace one or more fouled/ruined injectors at $100 a pop + labor.

    And for those of us who live in climates where winter comes calling each year, many of us put a bottle of gas line antifreeze into the tank at least every other fill-up. Since this is also a "fuel additive" I guess this is taboo as well? Our car is not garaged, so using such a product is almost a necessity in places like MO in January, where we live.

    I'd like to know your thoughts on this. I've already added a bottle of injector cleaner to the Fiesta's tank after Tuesday's oil change, out of habit, before I discovered the bad news on page 305.

    Harry
    98% of the time, "bad gas" from a from a gas station is going to be noticeable long before the next oil change. material water contaminations are far more quickly evident because the fuel stops being mixed gasoline/ethanol and starts being something closer to a lava lamp of ethanol and gasoline... diesel/gas contaminations are equally noticeable when material enough.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    340

    Default Gas has all the additives your baby needs...

    ..and, yes, all gas is the same. There are stds. that must be met, and it's not always like the old days when Sinclair was Sinclair, and Esso was Esso...there's a lot of mixing of brands from refinery to station, with some refineries cracking fuel for many brands.

    Fuel injector cleaner is best used when there is a specific problem that can be traced to a dirty fuel injector. Otherwise, it's just extra corrosives in there. And, the typical problems with 'bad' gas...H20 and dirt/sand..are impervious to fuel injector cleaner..which is a solvent to remove the gunk and deposits that can form under some severe conditions (like extended storage in warm conditions)...not evaporate H20 or unblock physical debris like sand.

    Bottom line: Treat any and all additives the same way you treat anything else that's 'corrective' you'd otherwise use in your car...as a remedy to a specific problem, rather than some mythical prophylactic remedy.
    ______________________

    Blue Flame, S sedan, 5 spd....Her name is Betty but we call her Lauren....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    227

    Default Thanks!

    After reading your thoughtful posts I have decided to forget about adding any more injector cleaner to the tank, from now on. It used to make for a good rule of thumb to use it after every oil change, but because the Fiesta is a new car line with a different engine I'm not going to tempt Fate (and the warranty) by going against the manual and your good advice.

    Harry

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    ..and, yes, all gas is the same. There are stds. that must be met, and it's not always like the old days when Sinclair was Sinclair, and Esso was Esso...there's a lot of mixing of brands from refinery to station, with some refineries cracking fuel for many brands.
    Branding these days is down to the additives that are added to the gasoline blendstock & ethanol. All of these additives, from generic gas to branded, are highly similar and most won't notice the difference between Sunoco, Exxon and that no-name gas station down the street.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PotiusMori View Post
    <snip>most won't notice the difference between Sunoco, Exxon and that no-name gas station down the street.
    This isn't a challenge, just a question: what's the point of the "top tier gasoline" designation, then?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,396

    Thumbs down It's a trap!

    My dad told me that stuff is a bad idea because it can cause damage, and I trust his opinion most highly. (: I think a person could probably find damning and praising articles of the stuff.
    Monterey Grey SES 2011 ♥
    Mrs. Telero
    FiestasWest Ambassador
    Professional Thread Drifter

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •