Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Please help support Fiesta Faction by clicking this banner!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Car has trouble starting when it is cold

Very Sad. I had to take my Fiesta to the dealership today for service. It has been a little cold here the past week or 2 and in the mornings when I turn the key the car has had trouble starting. It does eventually start, but I have to turn the key and hold it longer. I had a maintenance appointment scheduled on Friday already for an oil change so I figured I would just have them take care of it then. But, today was a very cold morning and I cranked it about 4 times before it actually started. Once it finally started, I flipped the car into reverse and hit the gas, and the car wouldn't move. I put it back in park, restarted the car. I tried to back out of my spot again, and the car wouldn't move. I flipped it to park and pumped the gas 2-3 times, flipped it back to reverse and still the car wouldn't move. I turned the engine off, and restarted the car, then miraculously it decided to work and I drove to work. Anyway, it only seems to be a problem in the mornings because I was able to start my car just fine this afternoon since it had warmed up and I park in a garage at work.

Has anyone else noticed this problem at all with their Fiesta? I called the dealership today to change my appointment to today. The guy on the phone was really defensive, saying that "The fiesta is a really good car and I am sure there's nothing wrong with it" and he said my problem was normal. Really? Normal? I could understand if it maybe took an extra second to start up, but cranking it 4 times and the car not moving once it is on...that is a problem to me! Also keep in mind, I'm in Dallas, and "cold" here is like 30 degrees! I don't think it should have trouble starting in 30 degree weather unless something is wrong.
    2011 Fiesta SE MAGENTA with SYNC
    Picked up at the Dealer 7.26.2010 (ditched my pre-order)

Quote Originally Posted by littlekeri View Post
    Very Sad. I had to take my Fiesta to the dealership today for service. It has been a little cold here the past week or 2 and in the mornings when I turn the key the car has had trouble starting. It does eventually start, but I have to turn the key and hold it longer. I had a maintenance appointment scheduled on Friday already for an oil change so I figured I would just have them take care of it then. But, today was a very cold morning and I cranked it about 4 times before it actually started. Once it finally started, I flipped the car into reverse and hit the gas, and the car wouldn't move. I put it back in park, restarted the car. I tried to back out of my spot again, and the car wouldn't move. I flipped it to park and pumped the gas 2-3 times, flipped it back to reverse and still the car wouldn't move. I turned the engine off, and restarted the car, then miraculously it decided to work and I drove to work. Anyway, it only seems to be a problem in the mornings because I was able to start my car just fine this afternoon since it had warmed up and I park in a garage at work.

Has anyone else noticed this problem at all with their Fiesta? I called the dealership today to change my appointment to today. The guy on the phone was really defensive, saying that "The fiesta is a really good car and I am sure there's nothing wrong with it" and he said my problem was normal. Really? Normal? I could understand if it maybe took an extra second to start up, but cranking it 4 times and the car not moving once it is on...that is a problem to me! Also keep in mind, I'm in Dallas, and "cold" here is like 30 degrees! I don't think it should have trouble starting in 30 degree weather unless something is wrong.
    If that was the service manager you talked to, then run, don't walk to another dealership!
    2011 Blue Flame Metallic SE Fiesta Pwr Shift 6 Spd Auto Charcoal Black w/ blue cloth and armrest.

Deleted

Sounds like you might have a grounding problem that some others have reported. What your Fiesta is doing is not normal and like Norm201 said, stay the heck away from that dealership. I'm sure one of the techs on this site will post more for you shortly.

Here in Minnesota I'd guess minus 10, started normal and ran normal. (flawless) I have had a few strange underhood noises, but it was covered with snow. Also the manual shifted really hard, but I think that had more to do with snow melting and the water freezing. Today it was fine. There is something wrong with your car. I hope it tripped a fault code in the computer or you dealer may not may not have a clue.
    Dan

65 Corvair convertible Not Hibernating
    11 Fiesta SE Sedan, 5 speed, white

I live in SW Iowa where it was zero this morning. Got my Fiesta to start without any problem after I brushed off all the snow. My car has to live outside in the cold weather so I was pleased it started and it ran very well on our snowy city streets. I would get a second opinion from another dealer just to be sure what the problem is.
    SE Hatchback Red Candy w/ Sync & Sport Pkg (203A), Sirius Pkg, Keyless Entry & Winter pkg.

17 with wind chill in the -5 to -8 range. started fine (2300 miles on it) and it is an "outside" car.
    Larry (ol' coot #2)
    Punch:
    Storm Grey, hwy 41.46
    Judy:
    Ruby Red, hwy 44.88 <==
    -- '14 SE sdns, PS

It does sound like the grounding TSB may be the fix,

TSB 10-19-6

FORD: 2011 Fiesta

ISSUE:
    Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles may exhibit a hard start, no start, intermittent start, noise from bellhousing during start and/or various automatic transmission engagement concerns such as no engagement or intermittent no engagement in Drive or Reverse when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse, grinding noise during engagement and/or a check engine light with transmission control module (TCM) diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P06B8 or P0884.

ACTION:
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove attaching bolts for the G100 battery ground and G106 powertrain control module (PCM) ground. Remove the paint under the ground eyelet mounting locations. Apply Motorcraft® Electrical Grease to the bolts to prevent corrosion and reinstall. Torque bolts to 115 lb-in (13 Nm). (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 10-19-6

Using digital volt ohm meter (DVOM), measure battery voltage. Battery voltage must be between 12.5 and 14 volts. If below, charge and retest. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-01.

Using DVOM, with key on engine off (KOEO), measure voltage from battery positive terminal to G106 PCM ground bolt. Compare to battery voltage measurement in step 2. Voltage drop must be less than 0.5 volt difference. Refer to WSM, Section 414-00.

Using IDS, verify VPWR and B positive are between 12.5 and 14 volts. If not, refer to WSM for low voltage diagnostics.

Verify vehicle transmission:
    Manual Transmission.
    Do not continue with this procedure.

Automatic Transmission.
    Proceed to Step 6.
    Reprogram the TCM by reprogramming the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 69.02 and higher. The PCM and TCM are a matched set. The TCM can only be updated by updating the PCM. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

Perform all three TCM clutch adaptive learning routines (TRS, Shift Drum and Clutch). Refer to TCM Adaptive Learning in WSM, Section 307-11.
    NOTE: IF A DRIVE CYCLE IS NOT COMPLETED, THE CUSTOMER MAY FEEL ERRATIC SHIFTS AND DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS.
    AUTONATION FORD, WHITE BEAR LAKE

Offering employee pricing on OEM and Ford Racing parts to all forum members.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...?siteid=214771

You can also find us here http://fiestast.net/

lol is this a case where a grounding kit may actually prevent a major issue like this? $50 isn't bad for peace of mind lol

You don't have pictures of where these grounds are located if we wanted to run our own kit or just scrape some paint ourselves so we don't have to worry about it?
    2011 Ford Fiesta S Sedan
    Oxford White, 6SPD AT

Quote Originally Posted by rsfiesta7 View Post
    lol is this a case where a grounding kit may actually prevent a major issue like this? $50 isn't bad for peace of mind lol

You don't have pictures of where these grounds are located if we wanted to run our own kit or just scrape some paint ourselves so we don't have to worry about it?
    I wouldn't spend $50,....just do it yourself. I ran a jumper cable from the battery ground to the engine block as a tempory ground so as not to have to lose all my radio station presets. Then I loosened the main ground, verified the threads were not painted, sprayed in some 2-26 cleaner and torqued it back down.