Fiesta Faction banner

Car has trouble starting when it is cold

53K views 72 replies 34 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
Very Sad. I had to take my Fiesta to the dealership today for service. It has been a little cold here the past week or 2 and in the mornings when I turn the key the car has had trouble starting. It does eventually start, but I have to turn the key and hold it longer. I had a maintenance appointment scheduled on Friday already for an oil change so I figured I would just have them take care of it then. But, today was a very cold morning and I cranked it about 4 times before it actually started. Once it finally started, I flipped the car into reverse and hit the gas, and the car wouldn't move. I put it back in park, restarted the car. I tried to back out of my spot again, and the car wouldn't move. I flipped it to park and pumped the gas 2-3 times, flipped it back to reverse and still the car wouldn't move. I turned the engine off, and restarted the car, then miraculously it decided to work and I drove to work. Anyway, it only seems to be a problem in the mornings because I was able to start my car just fine this afternoon since it had warmed up and I park in a garage at work.

Has anyone else noticed this problem at all with their Fiesta? I called the dealership today to change my appointment to today. The guy on the phone was really defensive, saying that "The fiesta is a really good car and I am sure there's nothing wrong with it" and he said my problem was normal. Really? Normal? I could understand if it maybe took an extra second to start up, but cranking it 4 times and the car not moving once it is on...that is a problem to me! Also keep in mind, I'm in Dallas, and "cold" here is like 30 degrees! I don't think it should have trouble starting in 30 degree weather unless something is wrong. :(

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like you might have a grounding problem that some others have reported. What your Fiesta is doing is not normal and like Norm201 said, stay the heck away from that dealership. I'm sure one of the techs on this site will post more for you shortly.

#5 ·
Here in Minnesota I'd guess minus 10, started normal and ran normal. (flawless) I have had a few strange underhood noises, but it was covered with snow. Also the manual shifted really hard, but I think that had more to do with snow melting and the water freezing. Today it was fine. There is something wrong with your car. I hope it tripped a fault code in the computer or you dealer may not may not have a clue.

#6 ·
I live in SW Iowa where it was zero this morning. Got my Fiesta to start without any problem after I brushed off all the snow. My car has to live outside in the cold weather so I was pleased it started and it ran very well on our snowy city streets. I would get a second opinion from another dealer just to be sure what the problem is.

#8 ·
It does sound like the grounding TSB may be the fix,

TSB 10-19-6

FORD: 2011 Fiesta

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Fiesta vehicles may exhibit a hard start, no start, intermittent start, noise from bellhousing during start and/or various automatic transmission engagement concerns such as no engagement or intermittent no engagement in Drive or Reverse when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse, grinding noise during engagement and/or a check engine light with transmission control module (TCM) diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P06B8 or P0884.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove attaching bolts for the G100 battery ground and G106 powertrain control module (PCM) ground. Remove the paint under the ground eyelet mounting locations. Apply Motorcraft® Electrical Grease to the bolts to prevent corrosion and reinstall. Torque bolts to 115 lb-in (13 Nm). (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 10-19-6

Using digital volt ohm meter (DVOM), measure battery voltage. Battery voltage must be between 12.5 and 14 volts. If below, charge and retest. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-01.

Using DVOM, with key on engine off (KOEO), measure voltage from battery positive terminal to G106 PCM ground bolt. Compare to battery voltage measurement in step 2. Voltage drop must be less than 0.5 volt difference. Refer to WSM, Section 414-00.

Using IDS, verify VPWR and B positive are between 12.5 and 14 volts. If not, refer to WSM for low voltage diagnostics.

Verify vehicle transmission:
Manual Transmission.
Do not continue with this procedure.

Automatic Transmission.
Proceed to Step 6.
Reprogram the TCM by reprogramming the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 69.02 and higher. The PCM and TCM are a matched set. The TCM can only be updated by updating the PCM. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

Perform all three TCM clutch adaptive learning routines (TRS, Shift Drum and Clutch). Refer to TCM Adaptive Learning in WSM, Section 307-11.
NOTE: IF A DRIVE CYCLE IS NOT COMPLETED, THE CUSTOMER MAY FEEL ERRATIC SHIFTS AND DRIVEABILITY CONCERNS.

#9 ·
lol is this a case where a grounding kit may actually prevent a major issue like this? $50 isn't bad for peace of mind lol

You don't have pictures of where these grounds are located if we wanted to run our own kit or just scrape some paint ourselves so we don't have to worry about it?

#10 ·
I wouldn't spend $50,....just do it yourself. I ran a jumper cable from the battery ground to the engine block as a tempory ground so as not to have to lose all my radio station presets. Then I loosened the main ground, verified the threads were not painted, sprayed in some 2-26 cleaner and torqued it back down.

#11 ·
THANKS everyone. I wanted to hear your thoughts before they got back to me. I'm not good with knowing what is wrong, so I wanted to compare what they say to what you guys said.

They replaced the battery and referenced the grounding problems you guys were talking about. I guess it is good to know others have had a similar problem. I did leave it with that dealer because when I dropped it off it was a different guy than the one I talked to on the phone. I figured I would give them a chance to work on it before I took it somewhere else.

The guy I dropped it off with did agree that there was a problem so I guess the first guy I talked to just had an attitude problem. I'm glad that the dealer came through (well, sounds like it anyway...will find out when I pick it up), and now I know never to deal with that particular service guy! I'll pick it up later this afternoon, so hopefully that fixes it.

#13 ·
Add me to the list.

When I started my car this morning it was hard to start and had two loud hard clunks from the starter. When I put the car in Drive it would not move. I had the car towed to the dealer and had TSB 10-19-6 service work done. The car starts fine now and the transmission seems to shift smoother with the software update.

(See post #8, this thread for TSB 10-19-6 details)

#16 ·
I have had a very similar experience. Typically it takes two tries to start my car, but the first attempt doesn't seem like the electrical system is even giving the engine a chance to turn over.

A new symptom that just cropped up last night was the fan for the AC/heat just stop working. It was very cold here (0 Fahrenheit), but nothing was coming out of the vents regardless of what setting I put it on.

I'm going to take the car in soon, but needless to say 2 months of ownership and 2.5k miles doesn't seem to warrant such headaches.

#17 ·
Please do keep in mind that the car is brand new to this market and although it's been out in Europe for a while we do have a different climate and that will bring up different issues.

I can't say for sure but I'd imagine that the tuning for these cars has been reworked for this market and it may take a little time to get all the bugs worked out.

It really doesn't matter how much testing the manufacturer does, there always have been and always will be some glitches in the first model year a car is released and overall Ford has been very good at correcting issues as quickly as possible.

#18 ·
People that have been having issues with the cold starts, are you letting the cars warm up at all or just starting them and driving? I've been having some 5 to 15 degree mornings and I'll start my car and let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes before driving it. At those cold temps, all your fluids like motor oil, trans fluid, etc... are very thick and cold to start off with and letting them warm up a bit will let them function better when its so cold out.

#19 ·
It's not good to let a car warm up like that. I started mine at -12 F yesterday, let it idle for no more than a minute, and gently took off driving very conservatively the first few miles. That's how you warm up a car.

#25 ·
I'm curious. Those that have been experiencing the cold start problem, when was your car built? My Fiesta was delivered in September and has not exhibited any of the systems described on here and other like-minded threads. It started right up and shifted into drive this morning with an outside temperature of 18 degrees.

I wonder if this problem was identified and fixed at the factory for Fiestas built in August or later.

#29 · (Edited)
As far as I can tell my car seems to be fixed. Of course, as soon as I got the car back it has warmed up outside, so now it's more like 40 in the mornings and I haven't gotten a good test for when it is "colder."

Also I don't let it warm-up, I just drive. I don't leave enough time in the mornings to be waiting for that.

Also, mine was purchased 7/26. I don't remember when it was built, but it was definitely either May or June. This is the only problem I have had.

#30 ·
While trying not to appear an automotive equivalent of a hypochondriac... I've had a few colder (20s F) mornings in south central PA where my car took a few (3ish) tries to get going, however had no issues with responsiveness as earlier described. I'm concerned, as tomorrow I trek halfway across the country to Chicago, followed by another leg to Minneapolis. I'm used to, at least with my prior car, occasionally it taking a few tries to get going but I could have sworn that tended to be in colder weather than this (i.e. sub-zero or single digits).

Sedan (SEL), 6speed automatic, push button start and an earlier build date.

Worth taking in for a checkup on this issue? or wait and see if it exhibits more of the signs described earlier?

#31 · (Edited)
We've had temps in the teens here in the ATL and my Fiesta has started up right away. I'd check the automatic transmission fluid if it "won't move" and warranty should cover whatever is causing with the hard start. I'll bet it is fuel related. Of course now I have seen that it is the grounding TSB that fixes it. Easy fix.

#33 ·
Unless the car is in extremely cold temps of less than 0 F there is NO need to let the car idle for extended periods to "warm up".

Actually when you do this you are INCREASING wear on the engine!

Even in extreme cold you never have to let it idle for more than a few minutes at most. In the end if you do extended warm ups you are increasing wear and tear on the engine, wasting gas, and increasing emissions.

#34 ·
I generally agree with you. But what is your opinion of the situation when its cold and you only need to travel 2.5 miles? I think it might be better to warm the engine to operating temp prior to such a short trip.

#37 ·
Sad to say, mine did the same thing on a cold morning last week...had to restart to get it to go in reverse then had to restart it to get it to go into drive...I will be taking this issue to my dealer.....thanks again faction for all the info!!!!

#38 · (Edited)
I've had the same problem with starting on cold mornings. It's always started on the second try though. No problems getting moving once it starts. I'm in Houston - the coldest we've had is around 30 F.

edit: It did it again this morning @ ~ 40 F. First time I turned the key yielded ugly noises. Turned it off and tried again, and it fired up with no problem.

#39 ·
we had a 30* drop from yesterday to today. it was 54*F yesterday morning and it was 24*F when I started my Fiesta this morning. It always starts up immediately when I press the button. something I've noticed and really appreciate is my Fiesta never feels really cold inside. I got cloth seats instead of leather so the seats aren't cold even when it has been below freezing outside. The leather steering wheel was cold to touch so I wonder what leather seats would feel like today. BRRR...

#42 ·
The grounding TSB earlier in this post needs to be stickied. Ground issues look like a lot of different things are wrong and that can make us shade tree mechanics look like fools for troubleshooting things that aren't broke.

I just got my car last wednesday. My wife jumped in it with me today to learn how it works, she hit the key and it made a horrible sound. I was like "great". And she tried again and it started and chugged and sounded awful. She already thinks I'm stupid for buying it and the first time she hits the key it acts like that.

FiestaFaction to the rescue. Found this thread, checked the main ground, was fully painted of course, took it off, filed to bare metal, finger full of dielectric grease and put back together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.