Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Tasca Auto Group

Default How many RPMs at 70mph? (Automatic Trans plz)

Just curious about what the RPM is at when cruising at around 70mph in the automatic equipped Fiestas. I'm currently looking at getting a new car and the Fiesta is one of the top contenders. My GF has a VW Beetle which is a total POS and at around 70mph the thing is screaming at 3500+ RPMs! Seriously, it pisses me off! It's hard on the motor/trans, a big waste gasoline, and is very noisy. Anyways, I apologize for my rant, but I really do hate that car as I have been driving it to work lately because it does get better mileage then my car.

If anyone could chime in, I would greatly appreciate it! Also, not to sound mean, but please only respond if you've actually know! If you're not sure about 70mph exactly but you know at 60mph or 80mph thats okay I would like to hear that as well.

Thanks in advance!

As I recall going thru the mountain area between Watkins Glen, NY and Tyrone, PA I was between 2500 and 2800 RPM and speed was 65-75 MPH. Now this was last Thanksgiving weekend but I have another trip on the books for 5-6 weeks from now.
    Larry (ol' coot #2)
    Punch:
    Storm. Grey, hwy 41.46
    Judy:
    Ruby Red, hy MPG TBD
    -- both '14 SE sdn, PS

I agree, I usually travel in the mid-70's between San Diego and Orange County and the RPMs are usually at or just below 3000.
    http://www.socalfiestas.com

Ford Fiesta: The party comes standard!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra348 View Post
    As I recall going thru the mountain area between Watkins Glen, NY and Tyrone, PA I was between 2500 and 2800 RPM and speed was 65-75 MPH. Now this was last Thanksgiving weekend but I have another trip on the books for 5-6 weeks from now.
    2700-2800 sounds right for me too, but I don't cruise above 65 too often, which sits at about 2600-2700.
    Monterey Grey SES 2011 ♥
    Mrs. Telero
    FiestasWest Ambassador
    Professional Thread Drifter

I just took a 500+ mi round trip to omaha last weekend with an ultragauge. 70mph is 2800 plus or minus 200. I was also getting between 43-45mpg until I started driving in the city.

Hope you choose an awesome car!
    Blue Flame SE hatch - PowerShift - 203A - INJEN CAI - MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST |AVERAGE MPG ^34.04^|

Quote Originally Posted by deadlast View Post
    I just took a 500+ mi round trip to omaha last weekend with an ultragauge. 70mph is 2800 plus or minus 200. I was also getting between 43-45mpg until I started driving in the city.

Hope you choose an awesome car!
    So rough on us 5-speed owners, I maybe get 38-39 mpg at those speeds, very unfortunate for Ford to not have given us a 6th gear. We don't mind shifting, Ford. We promise... Thats why we bought the standard.
    Yellow Blaze SES + Black Bezel's
    Ford Black Rally 15spk 17"s
    B&G S2 Sport Springs

Quote Originally Posted by thegr8revealing View Post
    So rough on us 5-speed owners, I maybe get 38-39 mpg at those speeds, very unfortunate for Ford to not have given us a 6th gear. We don't mind shifting, Ford. We promise... Thats why we bought the standard.
    Ha! I was saying the same thing in my 1990 5.0 Mustang, but for some reason (cost) the auto makers are taking their sweet time getting 6+ speeds standard. One of the big reasons I won't consider the Mazda2 is because it has a crappy 4 speed automatic. I hear the 5 speed in it is okay, but this time around I want to go automatic. Theres nothing like sitting in traffic working the clutch and the shifter! On second thought, oh how awful our lives are that we have to shift multiple times in order to get home or wherever. No wonder the terrorists hate us! lol

Anyways, thanks for all your replies! Though, I'm not thrilled to hear the RPMS are that high at cruising speeds, at least its better then the VW...

I just took note today that at 70 MPH the tach was around 2700 RPM. (auto)
    2011 Fiesta S Sedan - Auto. / Conv. Pkg. / Keypad
    Ingot Silver - Husky Floor Liners

Coming home on Highway 63 the other day the tach was pegged at just under 2800-RPM, going 70mph with the cruise locked-on.

Harry

Yep, 2700 is about right.