Fiesta Faction banner

Found Cabin Air Filter

79K views 88 replies 37 participants last post by  SuperThor1 
#1 ·
So does the Fiesta have a Cabin Air Filter or not?

I looking at Tousley Ford Parts online and they list a Cabin Air Filter for the 2011 Fiesta.

Tousley Ford Parts Depot

#3 ·
I was sure it it didn't have one.

Where is it in the car?

It will filter out stuff as good as any filter will. Every time you open the door you let in pollen and dust. If you had a previous car with a filter, it will work just as well.

#6 ·
I was sure it it didn't have one.
It will filter out stuff as good as any filter will. Every time you open the door you let in pollen and dust. If you had a previous car with a filter, it will work just as well.
I had a previous car with no working A/C. If I can get the re-circulator to filter the crap out, I'd at least be doing better than that. :eek:

#7 ·
We really need to find out where the filter is and how to change it.:confused:
At some point it's going to get so dirty that it's going to effect the operation of the air conditioner and heater. I for one would like to make sure there's lots of ice cold air coming out the vents when Summer hits.

#15 ·
I thought this was an economy car. My Toyota, it took longer to look up the number in the store than to replace it. Now I have to pay $80 an hour to change it? Those good gas mileage numbers don't look so good when spending lots on money on other things. Like $700 for snow tires because Ford cheaped out on a swicth for traction control. Six months to "fix" the gas gauge. I'm thinking if I had it to do over there wouldn't be a Fiesta in my garage.:eek:

#17 ·
I had some time free at work today to look at the Ford on line parts site. The Filter appears to be mounted on the HVAC Plenum Chamber, if that helps anybody.

If you go to the site, put in a VIN, then click on the Body category, the Sub-Category is Cowl. Go to the second page and click on the last item "Cowl Vent Screen".

The "Callout Name" is 16N619, Pollen filter, Motorcraft # FP-69, Price is $24.98.

I think this link will go straight there, I lifted a VIN off Cars.com.

Buy 2011 Ford Fiesta Parts | FordParts.com

I can do a parts book, that's my job. Now if someone more technical or mechanical can figure out the rest?

Good luck!!!

#19 ·
The screw or fastener Deysha is referring to is probably a "Torx tamper safe fastener" It is a embossed hex sided looking screw head with a round nub in the center. There are about half a dozen metric sizes or so. eg (ts-40, ts20, ect)

All you need to do it go down to Sears or Home Depot and look for a bit that matches.

The important part is to make sure that ONCE YOU GET THE SCREWS REMOVED THAT YOU CAN PROPERLY REMOVE THE PLASTIC HOUSING HOLDING THE FILTER WITHOUT DAMAGING IT!

WHEN WORKING WITH PLASTIC LIKE THIS YOU NEED TO BE VERY VERY GENTLE TAKING CARE NOT TO EXCESSIVELY BEND THE PIECES!

MAYBE THE PARTS GUY HERE CAN POST THE EXPLODED PARTS DIAGRAM ON THE FILTER AND HOUSING WHICH WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA IF YOU CAN EASILY DO THIS MAINTENANCE.

WHEN DOING THE JOB IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS DON'T GO ANY FURTHER UNTIL YOU GET THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO CONFIDENTLY GET THE JOB DONE!

#24 ·
Pop the hood. Right below the windshield is a cowl with 3 vents. On the passenger side, look in that vent and you'll see an inner vent (screen?). If we have a filter, it'd have to be right there. Doesn't look hard to get to. Pop off some clips and take off the windshield wiper arms and then I think the cowl will come off. Haven't done it, but looks like that's all there is to it.

#27 ·
I think it is part #15 and Deysha had said in an earlier post;

" It looks like is by the passenger side foot well and I believe it has tamper safe screws. This might be a dealer job."

In any case, thanks for looking into it. Good luck.

#29 ·
I just looked in my car out of curiosity. I dropped the glove box down and looked in. The main heater box is directly in front of the center console.
If, in fact, the filter is in there, it will be a major operaton to access it.

As allude too earlier, on most cars, the filter is accessed through the air intake in front of the windshield.

This mystery needs to be resolved, for the comfort of all Fiesta owners.

#30 ·
For what it's worth... I worked in the semiconductor industry for a couple of decades specializing in air filtration. The HEPA filters are depth filters. They can take a lot of gunk before they plug up. This pollen filter isn't like an engine intake filter, which can affect fuel economy. Even moderate pressure drops from a very dirty filter won't make much of an impact on your cabin air performance. In fact, the dirtier the filter, the greater it's filtering efficiency. I've seen cleanroom HEPA filters that were over 10 yrs. old and black on the back side, but were still functioning properly. Those filters are run 24/7. I think this little filter in the Fiesta is good for the life of the car.

#31 ·
What about the fan motor? We have 4 floor-standing HEPA air cleaners in our place, and if they get dirty/clogged, we notice extra strain noise on the fan motor. After we clear out the dust filter, the noise is gone.

#34 ·
Unless you live on a dirt road ranch, even the main engine air filter should be good for in excess of 30000 miles. The oil-change shops run a big scam by pulling out the filter and showing it to the driver and saying: look at how dirty this is do you want me to change it. In actuality the pressure drop across the filter is still so minor as not to be a problem, especially with the advent of air flow sensors. The filter can be black on one side and still be perfectly functional. The demands on an air cabin filter are far less.

#35 ·
If you are comfortable with black filters, it is your car and air, and this thread is not really for you. As for the OP and others including myself, we are still searching to change that darned cabin filter...

#36 ·
how about a pre filter?

Can we just make a pre filter modification to make it easier to change and or clean? Like with double sided tape maybe. I love clean air and run my fan just to filter it, when the windows are closed. Maybe i will grab a vacuum cleaner HEPA filter and try.

#37 ·
How To Replace Cabin Air Filter

The cabin air filter is NOT under the windshield cowl. I thought it was under the screen that is there and broke the screen tying to get it out. (You don't want to do that.)

The cabin filter is actually located in the passenger foot well on the side of the center console. First you have to remove the side cover from the center console buy removing the philips push-pin and pulling the cover straight out. Behind that you will find 5 silver colored standard T-20 torx screws (they are NOT tamper resistant) holding the filter cover in place. They are really hard to see but a mirror helps. Once you remove the screws the cover comes off and the filter can be pulled out. There is wiring and stuff in the way but the filter is flexible and can be bent and wiggled to eventually get it out. Hope this helps.

#39 · (Edited)
How to Replace Ford Fiesta Cabin Air Filter (Update)

I went back through this today and I really should have more detail.:eek:

Note: I would not try this unless the temperature is at least 60F or so; it seems to me that the clips in step 1 might break.

New cabin air filter: Motorcraft FP-69; Ford BE8Z-19N619-A (As of 7/14/2011 Fram and Purolator don't have a number for the Fiesta; I would guess they will have something by the end of 2011. http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/ has it for $13 + shipping)

Tools:
1/4" ratchet
T-20 socket, 1/4" drive
#2 phillips screw driver
2 straight screwdrivers or push pin removal tool
mirror (if you don't have one now is the time to get one)
flashlight

1. Remove the side cover from the center console on the passenger side by removing the phillips head push pin and pulling the cover straight out. There are 4 or 5 plastic clips holding the cover on. You can now see the cabin air filter cover. It is held on with 5 silver T-20 screws. When you put the cover back on note that it goes under the parts of the console that you don't pull off. The plastic is really flexible so after putting the cover on you can use a putty knife or screw driver to pry to edges back into the proper orientation.

2. Get the temperature sensor wire out of the way by unscrewing the blue temp sensor or unplugging the wire. Don't forget to put this back or you'll be sorry.;)

3. Remove the glove box by 1) open the box; 2) push in the sides to let the box open further than normal; 3) pull the box straight out from the hinge and the hinge will unsnap.

4. Remove the lower part of the heater duct by pulling down while rotating the outlet end toward the rear of the car. Note the orientation of the lower duct. It took me forever to get it back on. I kept fiddling with it and it looked like it was aligned but it just wouldn't go on. Then it magically got aligned and it just clicked into place.

5. Remove the black fuzzy trim panel from under the glove box by removing the 2 push pins. You can probably just bend this down but I don't like bending that stuff.

6. Now you can remove the filter cover by removing the 5 silver T-20 torx head screws. You will need a 1/4" drive T-20 socket (and a mirror and flashlight) to get the top two (they didn't give ANY extra room:eek:).

7. You can now get the filter out but you will have to squish and bend it some to get around some piping and wiring. Depending on how mch crap is in the old filter you might have to vacuum out the slot where the filter goes. You would need to put a foot or two of 1/2" OD hose on your vacuum cleaner to get in there.

8. Make sure the air flow arrows on the new filter are pointing to the rear of the car and put everything back where it came from.:)

9. Get in the drivers seat, start the car, turn on the fan and marvel at the gush of fresh filtered air.:D

10. Depending on your location go to the store and get the following:
East coast: Yuengling Lager:)
MT/WY/ID: Moose Drool Amber Ale :):):)(boy do I wish I was there)
Everywhere else: Magic Hat #9:) OR Fosters Ale:):) (that's the green can not the blue one)

11. Drive home and celebrate your new cabin air filter.:cool: (Don't cheat and take a taste test before you get home; I've been told that jail ain't that nice.:()

#40 ·
Thanks - very helpfull that
The owners manual (very generic) says to inspect at 10K miles and replace at 20K miles
You may need to replace it sooner if you have to drive in a "Haboob"

HD video - DSL takes a while to buffer - enjoy
The Phoenix Haboob of July 5th, 2011 on Vimeo

I had to go out and rescue my son who ended up in a parking lot with a dead battery after that storm. It was still dusty several hours after that and the airport had to do instrument landings the next day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.