Fiesta Faction banner

Ticking sound right after turning my car off?

36K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  eRic 
#1 ·
Does anyone else hear a ticking or ratcheting sound coming from the engine compartment when turning the car off? When I turn my car off and get out of the car, I hear this ticking sound that lasts for only about 5 seconds or so, and it seems quite loud. I’m thinking that it may be it may be the computer or perhaps the traction control unit or the power steering unit shutting down. But then again, I’m no mechanic or electrician to know what it really is. Anyone know what it may be?

#6 ·
From the owner's manual:

"Note: The automatic transmission performs a series of automated checks
when the ignition is turned to the off position. A slight clicking sound
may be heard and is considered a normal part of operation."

#8 ·
Mine is a manual trans and it does it too. I don't know what it is but it sounds normal.

My fiesta also makes a "thunk" that seems to come from the transaxle at around 10 mph. Only does it after the vehicle has been turned off and when it initially reaches 10 mph. This also seems normal. I had a tundra that did the same thing.

-Popups forced me to pay for Tapatalk.

#9 ·
Just heard this on mine for the first time today... installed new plug wires and then when i turned it on and off to test i heard it.. dont know if its related. Friend has the exact same car (manual fiesta s) and his doesnt do it. Any body have answers for the manual?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.