Fiesta Faction banner

Using "low gear" in Automatic Transmission

22K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  Iceracer 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me their experience with using "Low" with their automatic transmission.

With the Automatic you cannot shift to a specific lower gear, which seems potentially problematic when driving steep mountain passes like what we have here in Washington state. You can cancel overdrive, but is that sufficient for *steep* grades fo...r both ascending and descending the passes?

It seems that you might be able to use "low" for directly getting
into any of the 6 gears, but I don't know the best technique--I don't like the idea of having to start in 1st gear and working my way up to, say 4th gear (for mountain driving), by having to redline the rpms in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, before reaching 4th gear if there is another way to do it.

From the manual, it appears that you can move the shift lever to
"low" at any speed, but I am hesitant to do this without having more information.

#3 ·
From the manual it sounds like mountain driving is exactly when you should use that feature. The computer won't shift down to a gear that would damage the engine. It's simply going to use the lowest safe gear which allows you to get more engine braking and thus avoid overheating your brakes. This is definitely an advantage in having a true gearbox instead of a slushbox automatic.

#4 ·
All the button does is cancel overdrive; I'm asking about how to use the "L" option on the gear shift lever. This might provide much more utility for shifting in the mountains than the button you are referring to. The manual is sketchy at best about the "L" function and how to use it.

#5 ·
Would love to hear from someone who has figured out the "L" option from personal experience! For example, what happens if you are driving at, say 40 mile per hour, and you shift to "L". I am nervous about doing that without more information! Thanks!

#6 ·
It does more than that, from the manual:

Overdrive cancel/grade assist
• Overdrive is deactivated.
• The transmission operates in gears one through five.
• The grade assist lamp in the
instrument cluster is illuminated.
• Improves driving experience in hilly terrain or mountainous areas by
providing additional grade (engine) braking and extends lower gear
operation on uphill climbs.
• Provides additional engine braking through the automatic transmission
shift strategy which reacts to vehicle inputs (vehicle acceleration,
accelerator pedal, brake pedal and vehicle speed).
• Allows the transmission to select gears that will provide the desired
engine braking based on the vehicle inputs mentioned above. This will
increase engine RPM during engine braking.
Overdrive cancel with grade assist is designed to provide optimal gear
selection in hilly terrain or mountainous areas. It is recommended that
you return to D (Drive) on flat terrain to provide the best fuel economy
and transmission function.
Driving
But to answer your Q I think Low will use 1-3rd gear.

#7 ·
Why do you think Low only uses the first 3 gears? I can't find any mention of that in the manual and haven't heard from anyone yet who has played with Low. I was thinking from what I read that with Low you go through all of the gears but the shifting itself doesn't take place until each gear is red-lined.

#8 ·
Dale,
It seems as though you're over analyzing the situation. billnchristy's advice is spot on. It's only his feeling or opinion that it uses 1-3 gear. That makes sense to me. Anything higher than 3rd wouldn't do much good. There is no need for Ford to explain what gears they are using. If you're concerned then be sure that you follow the manual and rely on the Ford warranty to protect you. Remember this car has been road proven in Europe for many years. In spite of the transmission problems you read about in this forum, it is not the rule but the exception.

What I do when driving down extreme inclines is use the hill assist and intermittently use the brake for about 15 seconds then let them cool for 10 seconds before hitting them again.

#10 ·
OK, that sounds interesting. So if I'm driving along, with overdrive canceled, in 5th gear, and I shift to Low, does that mean that the transmission then shifts to 4th gear? And if I'm driving in 4th and shift to Low, do I then go into 3rd? If that is how it works, what happens to the rpm's when the downshift first takes place. This does sound cool, especially since you have taken the "chance" and already investigated how "Low" really works. Thanks for your real-world account!

#13 ·
The L feature was discussed in various road tests of the car (i.e. 'car and driver' 'motortrend' etc.). Basically it acts like a sort of sport mode, and holds gears longer, seeing as the factory configuration is geared towards economy, the shift points are a little premature under certain circumstances.

- using the term sport mode very loosely here, obviously putting an actual sport mode on a car with 120 hp would be a bit silly (i'm looking at you, Honda Fit).

#14 ·
Those reviews fail to discuss how Low can be used in other ways though--and how you can apparently shift to Low from any gear vs. racing along from 1st onward and upward solely for the purpose of fun and speed!

I wish the manual was more thorough in its discussion of this feature--it almost hits the nail on the head but does not quite get it right.

#16 ·
That sounds pretty cool. Sounds like the perfect solution for ascending &/or descending steep mountain passes if canceling over-drive is not enough.

Once you're in "L", how/when will the transmission automatically downshift or will it ? I know that it shifts to a higher gear when you red-line the current gear.

Thanks for the great info!

#19 ·
If it can safely drop two gears without exceeding redline it would. I've thrown it into L while driving, just for kicks.

I also use the grade-assist/OD-off feature quite a bit. I find that occasionally when I only want it to downshift one gear, the transmission will drop a couple gears, just because it can. I really only want it to downshift once so it helps my brakes - not so much that I don't need brakes and the engine revs like mad (I like to keep it under 4.5k unless there's a reason to rev, like UPhill...)

but yeah - when that powershift works, it works really well.

#21 ·
It's wicked for hot corners. It drops to the lowest gear possible for your current speed, so basically it puts your rpm to redline, and when it gets to about 4500, it drops to the lowest next gear... I'm usually looking into where I'm going, so I can't tell you how many gears it drops. It sets up fairly decent corner exits by keeping you in the 'power band'. It might not be a drag strip rocket, but it holds it's own in the bends.

#22 ·
One of the reviews I read, and I think it was Car and Driver, said they left it in low and the car seemed to always pick the correct gear. Of course, someone else pays for the gas they use. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
Still seems possibly cool for steep mountain passes: driving along going up steep incline, losing speed, shift to "L", stay in whatever gear the transmission is now in to maintain speed in ascending, without redlining it (or to assisting braking in descending). Yes?

#30 ·
I dropped into "L" one day going about 40mph...

-after reading the Owner's Manual about its function as well as an MT Road Test Editor's comments, but it was NOT a pleasant experience for me! -screaming RPM's make me wince. The most I do is use the 6th-gear OD lockout when accelerating on a freeway ramp, decelerating on a freeway ramp or in hilly terrain. That said at almost 4,000 miles my PS is awesome and I don't think I could ever go back to a conventional TC auto trans.

#32 ·
-after reading the Owner's Manual about its function as well as an MT Road Test Editor's comments, but it was NOT a pleasant experience for me! -screaming RPM's make me wince. The most I do is use the 6th-gear OD lockout when accelerating on a freeway ramp, decelerating on a freeway ramp or in hilly terrain. That said at almost 4,000 miles my PS is awesome and I don't think I could ever go back to a conventional TC auto trans.
My understanding from another poster was that the rpm's, after shifting to "L" would be at 4,500 which is still far short of the 6,000 redline point. Is this what happened when you shifted to "L" at 45mph???

#35 ·
I live in the Ozarks; lots of hills. I have used L a few times, I have to be going pretty slow to begin with. I had a Ranger before with 1 and 2 and it worked great on all the hills around here. I have to get used to this one, as it doesn't work quite the same, and I realize I need to have already slowed way down before using L.

Hope this helps.

#37 ·
The automatics have a hill mode button on the side of the gear shift. Hill mode is similar to low gear, but also does speed control better when descending too. I use it when I travel through the mountains to visit family and like it quite a bit.

#38 ·
I know this has been discussed in another thread.
I use "L" as a Sport Mode.
It's GREAT.
It also cancels Overdrive so you don't need to also use Hill Decent.

When on mountain roads, it keeps the car right in the power band.
This allows you to concentrate on other things like, rocks, curves, & cliffs.

Dave

#39 ·
L (Low)
" this postion:
Provides maximum engine braking.
Will downshift to the lowest available gear for the current vehicle speed;allows for first gear when the vehicle reaches slower speeds.
It is not intended for use under extended or normal driving conditions and may result in lower fuel econpmy."

#40 ·
Although I live in Little Rock, I drive through the Ozarks all the time. I've never put my car in 'L' during the 19,000 miles I've had it. I use OD-cancel every time I drive in the mountains. It improves performance dramatically and I think it's engineered very nicely. I love the PS tranny.

#41 ·
I shifted into L and floored it just to see how it reacted after reading all this feedback. I was pleasantly pulled back into my seat as the car redlined at every gear change, needless to say it was fun but I won't ever really use L unless its necessary. I like the Fiesta for what it is already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.