Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Please help support Fiesta Faction by clicking this banner!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default how-to install LED DRL for real.

here is a small step by step how-to on how to install DRL on your car.

If you have a US car i do think you can install DRL with only a relay install in the location i am pointing out lower.

little story; I have a canadian car so the DRL are mendatory here, I myself dont want to burn out the low beam lights so i removed the DRL relay 2 days after i bought the car, thus making it illegal. I thinkered a bit and after seeing some led strips sold at walmart I gave this a try.

step one: buy led strips or whatever you want to have acting as a DRL

step 2: install the said strips at a location you are pleased with. ( I glued the strip on the front edge under my headlights)

step 3 : wire the lights and hide the wires (still need to hide mine)

step 4: for canadian owner remove the DRL relay (pointed by my finger) for US owner buy that relay first part # 9L2T-14B192-AA

step 5 : snap off tab 87 (center tab) so you dont have current going to the headlight low beam bulb but you still have a continuous circuit. you could also bend the tab to revert back to stock.

step 6: remove the relay cover locate the tab contact and solder a wire to it, it will be the trigger wire for the led strips. Insize a little bit of the relay cover for the wire to get through. use heat shrink on exposed wires.

step 7: hook the relay wire to the + side led wires and find a suitable ground.

step 8: admire your work, fully functional DRL they are sight seen in the daylight (tho my camera has trouble to discern them) which work as intended as they are stock. car on lights OFF = DRL on. car on parking lights ON = DRL on. car on lights ON = DRL off

hope it serves you guy's (and girls)

Nice! Thanks for the information. I will probably being something similar soon after I get my 2012.

I would really prefer something inside the headlights (which I'd like to open up and black out as well) but not sure it would fit anywhere.
    2012 SE Hatch/Manual Trans. Oxford White - ordered 7/19/2011

Just make sure the solder you use is compatible with the wire and relay metals. I had a problem with bi-metal corrosion when I put a wire into a Rabbit (not Golf, old Rabbit) fuse box. Had to pull the fuse out and file off the corrosion about every four months. It was the fan in front of the motor so I had a bit of overheating problems.
    Bill
    '11 Monterey Grey w/Lt Stone sFe Hatch
    Automate the manuals
    2009 Prius Grey

looks good, i'm going to attept to do this also, as soon as my 2012 gets in...like the fogs also
    2012 black hatch
    2011 tux black sedan

Quote Originally Posted by kdogg_60 View Post
    like the fogs also
    Me too - where did you get them? They look pretty cool mounted back in there.
    2012 SE Hatch/Manual Trans. Oxford White - ordered 7/19/2011

Great guide, sunstealth! Will you post a guide for installation of the fogs as well? I am interested in undertaking a fogs project in the future.
    Blue Flame SES 301A PSA - Tint/TD 17" wheels/3dCarbon/
    E-spoiler/FRPP/Decals/HID/CAI/Exhaust tips

I'm thinking of doing something like that too. Perhaps on the headlights, or the top of the lower grill.

My concern is how well they will hold up in bad weather. Heavy rain and snow. I already popped out one of the LED factory accent lights. (Snow impact)
    Dan
    65 Corvair convertible
    11 Fiesta 5 speed, GONE!
    14 Accord, 6 speed manual!

How effective are the SES/SEL LEDs as daytime running lights?
    Bill
    '11 Monterey Grey w/Lt Stone sFe Hatch
    Automate the manuals
    2009 Prius Grey

Do you have a write up on how you did the fog lights? I really like the way they look!
    2012 Focus SE/Sterling Grey/6-speed auto/Sport package/winter package/Rapid spec 203A

Quote Originally Posted by sunstealth View Post
    Interesting
    Tuxedo 203A
    ---

as usual, asp is dead on with figures and math, you put Ross Perot to shame