Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Please help support Fiesta Faction by clicking this banner!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Consumer Reports confirms Powershift complaints prevalent

For the few still out there that think all the complaints on this forum regarding the Powershift tranny represent a minority of owners, perhaps the latest Consumer Report article may change your mind:

Consumer Reports: Ford quality slips, Chrysler gains as Japanese brands dominate top rankings - The Washington Post

Quote: "... the brand's ranking fell 10 spots (from 10 to 20 out of 28 brands) ... New automatic transmissions that shift often and awkwardly..." So not only are the complaints prevalent, the complaints are also justified according to many publishers including Consumer Reports - eg. Driven: 2012 Ford Focus SE manual says "PowerShift transmission doesnít shift smoothly at low speeds; it feels like itís being driven by someone who is just learning to drive a stick".

If you're completely satisfied with your PS tranny, we're very happy for you. As for the rest of us that have higher standards, when we complain, postings such as "Mine shifts fine, no problems here" not only don't help, they impose lower standards to those wanting more. And those wanting more are *not* a small number and *not* ignorant on how automated dual-clutch works. It seems more than likely that Ford picked a low-cost, low-refinement dual-clutch compared to what was available on the market (drive a VW DSG to compare the refinement we're missing).
    2011 Fiesta S Sedan Ingot Silver, powershift, 11/2010 build, San Diego CA USA

Quote Originally Posted by woodman411 View Post
    For the few still out there that think all the complaints on this forum regarding the Powershift tranny represent a minority of owners, perhaps the latest Consumer Report article may change your mind:

Consumer Reports: Ford quality slips, Chrysler gains as Japanese brands dominate top rankings - The Washington Post

Quote: "... the brand's ranking fell 10 spots (from 10 to 20 out of 28 brands) ... New automatic transmissions that shift often and awkwardly..." So not only are the complaints prevalent, the complaints are also justified according to many publishers including Consumer Reports - eg. Driven: 2012 Ford Focus SE manual says "PowerShift transmission doesn’t shift smoothly at low speeds; it feels like it’s being driven by someone who is just learning to drive a stick".

If you're completely satisfied with your PS tranny, we're very happy for you. As for the rest of us that have higher standards, when we complain, postings such as "Mine shifts fine, no problems here" not only don't help, they impose lower standards to those wanting more. And those wanting more are *not* a small number and *not* ignorant on how automated dual-clutch works. It seems more than likely that Ford picked a low-cost, low-refinement dual-clutch compared to what was available on the market (drive a VW DSG to compare the refinement we're missing).
    I understand your thoughts but look at this thread to get a clear picture of what CR is all about. And before you protest too much may I use your same argument about the complaints on CR as you use about Fords product.

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/...ity-tanks.html

PS...It's true I never have a problem with my Power shift. If I didn't know any better I would think its a standard , typical automatic transmission. And there are two, sometimes 3 drivers of this car. No one has any problems, just like the thousands of other Poweshift owners!
    Last edited by Norm201; 10-26-2011 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added PS
    Former 2011 Blue Flame Metallic SE Fiesta
    Now a 2014 Focus SE Hatch

Hmm... Wonder how they felt about the gen 1 Nissan GTR...
    Does your minkey bite?

Absolutely some people have had issues ... it's first frikkin' model year, dammit! CR is biased and I don't see how some of their reliability data can be derived on a single NA production run. I stopped reading their rag long ago.

Issues with the PS? Yup - sure of it. But I have an '11 that was one of the first officially produced ones and have no issues. Total of 4 different people drove the car and 2 of us are more constantly in it than the others. No issues after more than 16,300 miles.

I've had 3 cars bought as used-with-warranty (dealer/maker lease) where the tranny needed work in the warranty period and 1 was a first-year setup. Got it fixed and that was that.

PS is NOT a conventional automatic and I don't believe CR, Motor Week (tv), Motor Trend, Edmunds or others give it enough investigation before declaring it as noisy, etc. It is a manual that is electronically controlled and requires a certain period to settle in. Makes a whole lot of difference.
    Larry (ol' coot #2)
    Punch:
    Storm Grey, hwy 41.46
    Judy:
    Ruby Red, hwy 45.21 <==
    -- '14 SE sdns, PS

Does your minkey bite?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmorbid View Post
    Hmm... Wonder how they felt about the gen 1 Nissan GTR...
    Yeah transmissions were taking a dump hand over foot and weren't covered by the warranty I believe. Funny how any problem on an American car gets trumpeted all over the media, but problems with Japanese cars quietly get swept under the rug and unless you really do searches, especially on owner forums, you don't hear about them. The whole relaibility surveys like any survey are BS. Unless you survey a whole group, it is not truly representitive of jack squat. That's like when they do these surveys of peoples opinion on a certain political issue. They survey like maybe 10,000 people out of millions and say it represents the opinion of the whole population. Such utter nonsense. Here's a real good example: Buicks. For years Buick had a good reputation from it's owners. Suppossed to be so reliable, blah blah blah. Yet it's identical (mechanical) twins from Pontiac and Chevy got low ratings. Why? Because the Buicks were owned by older retired people more often and therefore were driven slow, gentle, and probabaly a lot less miles than Joe worker that had to commute to a job every day. Another good example is one of my co-workers. Raves about how good Subarus are. Yet he traded in his last 4 year old Subaru with like 35k miles for a new one. Geez, of course the car is going to be good. I put 30k on my Magnum in one year! A car really don't start showing it's age until around 70K+ miles. Only one persons opinion matters to me is mine. How does a car I've personally owned over many miles measure up? I just traded in my Fiesta SES hatchback with the 6 speed auto last night for a new Focus. Had about 8700 miles on the Fiesta and I had zero issues with it. None, Zip, Nada.
    2012 Focus SE/Sterling Grey/6-speed auto/Sport package/winter package/Rapid spec 203A

The single biggest problem with the Powershift is people that bought it expecting an automatic transmission just like the slushboxes that we've lived with for the last 50 years.

The second biggest problem with the Powershift is car salespeople that do not have a clue about what they're selling or how to properly explain what they're selling.

Does it have some actual issues? Yes but for the most part it seems that the complaints are more about perceived issues due to normal function than actual faults with the transmissions themselves.
    AUTONATION FORD, WHITE BEAR LAKE

Offering employee pricing on OEM and Ford Racing parts to all forum members.

Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...?siteid=214771

You can also find us here http://fiestast.net/

in hindsight, the Fiesta would be better suited with a traditional slushbox automatic and a performance 6 speed manual. Automatic people don't like the DSG, manual folks don't care for the eco minded ratio's of the row your own model. I agree that most of the complaints I have heard are related to the fact the DSG isn't a normal auto. The CVT was the same way, consumers did not understand what they were buying. People see no clutch pedal and assume the gearbox is exactly the same as the other ones without a clutch. That is not the case at all. Personally, I don't see a point to the DSG without paddle's to shift it yourself. I will stick with my manual where I know what I am getting into.
    Performance Blue 2015 Fiesta ST
    Performance White 1984 Mustang

@BRGT350 Twitter and Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by FORDSVTPARTS View Post
    ... <snip> ...The second biggest problem with the Powershift is car salespeople that do not have a clue about what they're selling or how to properly explain what they're selling. ... <snip> ...
    To me this is problem numero uno. I did large amounts of research before even approaching the dealer. Because of that, I knew more about the options, colors and specs than any of the sales force. To this day, I can walk in and outstrip them on Fiesta knowledge.

If the sales force knew of the transmission differences, they could most certainly have prevented many of the informational gaps that did arise.
    Larry (ol' coot #2)
    Punch:
    Storm Grey, hwy 41.46
    Judy:
    Ruby Red, hwy 45.21 <==
    -- '14 SE sdns, PS

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra348 View Post
    To me this is problem numero uno. I did large amounts of research before even approaching the dealer. Because of that, I knew more about the options, colors and specs than any of the sales force. To this day, I can walk in and outstrip them on Fiesta knowledge.

If the sales force knew of the transmission differences, they could most certainly have prevented many of the informational gaps that did arise.
    my cat knows more about the Fiesta than most salespeople.

I have heard a ton of complaints about the MyFord system from journo's doing a quick review. When I talk to actual owners, they say they are pretty happy with it. Once they learn how to use it. Salespeople and Journo's pay little attention to things like that, therefore, the reviews from customers are always bad at first as they get over the learning curve. I bet I would enjoy my Sync system if I knew how to use it. Salespeople that demo'd the PowerShift may have helped people understand what was going on in the gearbox, rather than just talking interest rates and monthly payments. Find me a salesperson that actually understands what they are selling, and I will be shocked.
    Performance Blue 2015 Fiesta ST
    Performance White 1984 Mustang

@BRGT350 Twitter and Instagram