Fiesta Faction banner

Winter Tires at Tire Rack!

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  princessdyns 
#1 ·
Written by Mac

Winter is coming!

Some winter basics first. If you can go narrow do it. The weight of your vehicle dictates the size of the contact patch on your tire. If you have a wider tire, the patch is wider. If you have a narrower tire, the patch is longer but narrower. Think if how a tire expels water/slush etc. It has to push the volume out from the center of the tire. If the tire is wider it has more volume to push, and is less effective inducing hydroplaning of sorts earlier.

The other principle to think about is sidewall height. We are always looking to downsize to save costs, but also to isolate you from the road better which helps avoid tire damage with pot holes in the end of winter as the roads begin to thaw.

We come up with our data with TRUE ice testing, a local ice rink that we rent out and actualy test our tires on. Most of our test are on the web in our videos so check them out!

Now to the sizes!

In the 15" the 185/60R15 works, as well as the 195/60R15. You have access to the Bridgestone Blizzak WS60 and WS70, the Continental Extreme Winter Contact and the General Altimax Arctic. There are others, but these are my favorites. The WS60 is the best overall in ICE, but has been replaced in most sizes by the WS70. The Conti is slightly better than the WS70 on sheer ice. So my rank is as follows: WS60, CONTI and then WS70 for ice traction. The General is a budget pick, great snow tire just not as aggressive in the ice. It does accept studs.

In the 16" I show the 185/55R16. Only the Bridgestone Blizzak WS 60 is available here! till a current model, so at least you can buy the best. Click away to start your tire search.

As far as wheels, steelies in the 15 are available, and the 16" options are alloys. Click away to search for your wheel and tire package.

I didn't get into STUDS vs. STUDLESS winter tires, longevity, when to put them on.. .etc. It would just be too long a post. Let me know, and maybe as the questions arise start new threads and I will answer with my opinion asap!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.