Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Please help support Fiesta Faction by clicking this banner!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    17

    Default First oil change

    Hello everyone.I bought a 2012 fiesta at the end of october and will probably give it it's first oil change this weekend.Is there anything I should know or are there no surprises.The reason I'm asking is because my 2011 Mustang has a plastic shield thats in the way and needs a piece of cardboard to direct oil away from the steering linkage when removing the filter,no need to make a mess if I dont have to.BTW I plan on using Mobil 1 5w20 and a good[not Fram] filter.
    2012 Silver SE 5 door 203a 5 speed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Hello everyone.I bought a 2012 fiesta at the end of october and will probably give it it's first oil change this weekend.Is there anything I should know or are there no surprises.The reason I'm asking is because my 2011 Mustang has a plastic shield thats in the way and needs a piece of cardboard to direct oil away from the steering linkage when removing the filter,no need to make a mess if I dont have to.BTW I plan on using Mobil 1 5w20 and a good[not Fram] filter.
    Read owner's manual make sure to use synthetic mobil 1 SAE 5W20 and Motorcraft FL-910S as filter. be careful if you use other filters it can void your warranty!

    I did oil & filter change at 1200 miles to get break-in oil off the system.
    2012 Violet Grey Ford Fiesta SE (203A) 6spd auto

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Careful of the sump drain plug. Mine was too soft and it got warped with a wrench trying to get it off, now it needs replacing.

    Also the filter is in an annoying spot.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Johnstown, NY
    Posts
    3,856

    Default

    The Fiesta is one of the easier oil/filter change cars.
    The filter is in the front. The heat exchanger hoses do get in the way a little.
    13 mm box wrench on the drain plug which is very easy to get to.

  5. #5
    FordService is online now Official Ford Representative
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fiestaSEviolet View Post
    Read owner's manual make sure to use synthetic mobil 1 SAE 5W20 and Motorcraft FL-910S as filter. be careful if you use other filters it can void your warranty!
    I did oil & filter change at 1200 miles to get break-in oil off the system.
    Hey fiestaSEviolet,

    Congratulations on your new Fiesta!

    If you intend to change the oil yourself, just follow the instructions beginning on page 298 of the Owner Guide and use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

    When you have a moment, check out Owner.Ford.com for available coupon and service discounts to use at the next maintenance appointment.

    Noemi

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
    Hey fiestaSEviolet,

    Congratulations on your new Fiesta!

    If you intend to change the oil yourself, just follow the instructions beginning on page 298 of the Owner Guide and use SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

    When you have a moment, check out Owner.Ford.com for available coupon and service discounts to use at the next maintenance appointment.

    Noemi
    thanks a lot!
    2012 Violet Grey Ford Fiesta SE (203A) 6spd auto

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    238

    Default

    For what ever reason every new Ford I have changed the oil on seemed like King Kong put on the oil filter. They can be very tight so just be prepared for that.
    Just say no to fart cans.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,586

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kabukiman View Post
    Careful of the sump drain plug. Mine was too soft and it got warped with a wrench trying to get it off, now it needs replacing.

    Also the filter is in an annoying spot.
    No offense but if you damaged the drain plug you shouldn't blame the drain plug.

    With proper tools and barring overtightening a drain plug can last the life of the car.

    The optimal tool is going to be a ratchet with a six point socket.

    Wrenches and or 12 point sockets are going to greatly raise the risk of rounding off the drain plug especially if you don't have decent quality tools.

    My 2002 SVT Focus with 117k on it and with oil changes every 3000 miles has the original drain plug in it to this day.
    Last edited by FORDSVTPARTS; 01-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.
    AUTONATION FORD, WHITE BEAR LAKE

    Offering employee pricing on OEM and Ford Racing parts to all forum members.

    Now accepting online orders here http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...?siteid=214771

    You can also find us here http://fiestast.net/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Johnstown, NY
    Posts
    3,856

    Default

    "filter in an annoying spot" Huh ? It couldn't be much easier. Anyone who has changed the filter on an Escort or Jeep Liberty know what difficult is.

    I have changed the oil on countless cars. Never had a problem with any drain plugs.
    I am mystified as to the problem. I have a theory, which I will keep to myself.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    West Seneca, New York
    Posts
    4,373

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceracer View Post
    "filter in an annoying spot" Huh ? It couldn't be much easier. Anyone who has changed the filter on an Escort or Jeep Liberty know what difficult is.

    I have changed the oil on countless cars. Never had a problem with any drain plugs.
    I am mystified as to the problem. I have a theory, which I will keep to myself.
    Now you expect us not to ask what it is?
    Former 2011 Blue Flame Metallic SE Fiesta
    Now a 2014 Focus SE Hatch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •