Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Please help support Fiesta Faction by clicking this banner!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb How to properly wash a car.

I am working on a guide to proper car washing, though it may be some time before I am finished. It will be good, don't worry, I am going to pack this thing full with as much pertinent info as possible. For now, these articles are a good start to proper vehicle appearance maintenance.

How to Properly Wash and Dry a Car

Automotive Paint is Delicate - Don't Touch it!!

The Grit-Guard 2x4 Wash Method

I haven't washed my car this year yet! Last time was last spring or fall. My car has let me down too many times, it no longer gets washed by me. Just rain. Or salt baths! I'm 100% serious.

Auto paint is very tuff.
    Last edited by Corvair; 04-15-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Dan

65 Corvair convertible Not Hibernating
    11 Fiesta SE Sedan, 5 speed, white

Waaayy out in the country, leave your GPS at home, I ain't on there!!

Quote Originally Posted by DreamDetail View Post
    I am working on a guide to proper car washing, though it may be some time before I am finished. It will be good, don't worry, I am going to pack this thing full with as much pertinent info as possible. For now, these articles are a good start to proper vehicle appearance maintenance.

How to Properly Wash and Dry a Car

Automotive Paint is Delicate - Don't Touch it!!

The Grit-Guard 2x4 Wash Method
    Mach says thank you
    13 VGry S "PLAIN JANE"
    03 Blown Mach1 467WHP/435WTQ
    02 F-150
    Mach1 (I think he is a forum mod?)

during the cold weather, I let the local car wash do it's thing.
    Now that warmer weather is slowly approaching, I will do it my self.

My "How Too"
    Make sure care is cool. No hot sun.
    Rinse the car with the hose and clear water to remove the grunge.
    Using a quality car wash soap mixed with water. Wash the car using a soft cloth or as I do, a soft car wash brush.
    Start at the top, working down. I usually do a section at a time.
    Rinse thoroughly . I usually just wipe the windows and let the rest of the car air dry, in the shade.
    I have used this method on many cars with no deterioration of the paint.

Dream detail, sorry, I did not mean to step on your toes.
    A write up on the detailing and washing is always good for those who care more for their cars.
    Oh, I care about my car, just like to do as little as possible.
    Carry On.
    Keeping my car in a garage is a big help.

The simplest, most effective take home message - use two buckets

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

Quote Originally Posted by Iceracer View Post
    during the cold weather, I let the local car wash do it's thing.
    Now that warmer weather is slowly approaching, I will do it my self.

My "How Too"
    Make sure care is cool. No hot sun.
    Rinse the car with the hose and clear water to remove the grunge.
    Using a quality car wash soap mixed with water. Wash the car using a soft cloth or as I do, a soft car wash brush.
    Start at the top, working down. I usually do a section at a time.
    Rinse thoroughly . I usually just wipe the windows and let the rest of the car air dry, in the shade.
    I have used this method on many cars with no deterioration of the paint.

Dream detail, sorry, I did not mean to step on your toes.
    A write up on the detailing and washing is always good for those who care more for their cars.
    Oh, I care about my car, just like to do as little as possible.
    Carry On.
    Keeping my car in a garage is a big help.
    I understand that some people don't like spending the time or money to maintain a car's appearance. You say that you have not seen any deterioration of paint? With what you have said, that is not possible. If you are not drying the paint, your water iseating away at your clear coat. The only way this is not true is if you have a 0 ppm Reverse Osmosis system.

Though there are ways to keep your car as good looking as possible and to do the least amount of work necessary. This is a demonstration video from Gtechniq NA on how well their products protect the surface and how easy it is to clean once applied:

Quote Originally Posted by Fiestasthopeful View Post
    The simplest, most effective take home message - use two buckets

Is it? Two buckets is definitely not enough to maintain a swirl-free finish. I would rather use one bucket with a grit-guard than two without it. I use two grit-guards in each bucket... eventually I will have a second 2 bucket system solely for wheels/fenderwells.

In many cases, washing is not where the damage is done; it is with drying. Poor quality drying towels and bad technique is one of the leading causes in wash-induced swirls.
    Chamois? junk
    Water-blade? junk

I know many people will say, "this is what i have been doing for years and it has always worked for me." Yes, you can 'clean' a car with poor products but you cannot maintain a swirl-free, blemish-free finish that way.

For example: People have been using Armor-All forever. However, Armor-All is not 'armor' at all. It will cause any surface it is applied to to dry rot prematurely. It also attracts dust whereas higher quality products repel dust.

I hope no one thinks I am putting their way of cleaning/detailing down. My purpose is to help take your detail to the next level.

This past weekend I was at a Ferrari show in Reston Town Center. Many of these cars looked horrendous, many of the owners using cheap OTC products for their $100k+ babies. I could not find a single car there that was up to my standards. The way that I and many other people maintain cars is not really any harder or more time consuming than what you are used to. The difference is technique and quality of product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1 View Post
    Mach says thank you
    np

I must have that reverse osmosis thing. My 10 yr. old ZX2SR in Bright Red looked as good as it did when I picked it up from the dealer.

OK, let us not get into a p,,,,,, match.
    You are into detailing , I am not.

How about drying with a leaf blower?

Waaayy out in the country, leave your GPS at home, I ain't on there!!

Good god I am doing everything wrong!! No guard, shamwow, California Blade. Question, I just mounted a set of black chrome bullitt rims and one trip down my dirt road and it is like a magnet for the dust and looks like s***, I haven't applied any wax or cleaner on them, anything I can use on the rims? What should I use on the tires, been using the spray shine (just shoot me now), here is pic of rims, need to do something because it's like it is ATTRACTING dust, Thanks!!! Hell, just pimp my ride!! PS Car was waxed maybe a year ago, use a California Duster in between and it stays under cover in barn. Video was awesome, loved the soundtrack and amazing hosing off that bike!!

Last edited by Mach 1; 04-16-2013 at 08:42 PM.
    13 VGry S "PLAIN JANE"
    03 Blown Mach1 467WHP/435WTQ
    02 F-150
    Mach1 (I think he is a forum mod?)