About to buy one of these. Need reassurance. - Page 3
Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Primarily stay out of boost.
    Try not to exceed 55mph.
    Inflate tires to 40psi.
    Keep garbage and unnecessary junk out of your car.
    Summer heat helps a lot.
    Ease into the throttle slowly (no jabbing).
    Anytime you need to slow down, engine brake - it turns off the injectors and uses zero fuel. This engine is so tiny it will not slow you down much. For example, if I see a stop sign miles ahead and I'm traveling 50mph, I downshift to keep rpms above 2,000 and completely let off throttle. You will coast miles without using fuel this way.

Although lately it's been cold, and I've been raging a lot in city traffic. So my MPG has been suffering by a substantial amount. However, it's really difficult to get less than 42mpg even with a heavy foot. I love this engine.

what do you think about changing to aftermarket wheels?

do you think bigger wheels would affect the gas mileage?

Quote Originally Posted by F0RD View Post
    what do you think about changing to aftermarket wheels?

do you think bigger wheels would affect the gas mileage?
    Heavier wheels will effect the fuel mileage. Lowest rolling resistance/weight is what you're aiming for. Many opt for lightweight racing wheels. However, the money you'll spend changing wheels and tires will negate any gain you may see.

The best thing would to be get a scan gauge or Torque pro for your phone and set up a custom display that shows your throttle percentage, manifold vacuum etc. The lighter you accelerate and the sooner you lift off the fuel and the steadier you keep your manifold vacuum the better economy you'll see.

I have trouble winding all the way out to the shift light, but I'm beginning to think that by shifting too early I'm making my fuel mileage worse by spooling the turbo instead of relying on the displacement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FiestaFaction.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Turby3Pot View Post
    I have trouble winding all the way out to the shift light, but I'm beginning to think that by shifting too early I'm making my fuel mileage worse by spooling the turbo instead of relying on the displacement.
    the shift light comes on my dash dispaly at about 2200-2500 RPM.

I did one time shift it at 6000 RPM in 1st gear to 2nd gear.

I would shift it by the shift light, I would say if youre shifting at low RPMS into higher gears, and keeping the RMPS really low, that the car would 'shudder'.

probably would be have to be below 1000 RMPS or something,

that being said it redlines at about 7000 RPMs, but doing the shift intervals on my gauge, I was able to do 80 MPH uphills, pass people etc.

but if I wanted to try for top speed I probably would shift above when the shift light would want me to shift.

55 MPH is fast enough for me though.

no idea if that would make it worse, but with a full tank it estimates 580 miles on my display. havent got a chance to try and see how correct it is, really hoping I get 50 MPGs, that would be awesome.
    Last edited by F0RD; 01-09-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Your right foot will be the bulk of determining your MPG.
    Average V and Vdt (AKA: Your Right Foot), plus stops and slows(signals/signs), and road grade changes makes the center of the curve.

Everything else you are working the tails of the curve, _far_ tails.

So without looking at those things as well... MPG comparison is silly to do. (remember the UK has a larger "Imperial gallon" so pay attention to who/where they are). If I lived in ANYWHERE Nebraska, MPG averages will look amazing compared to someone in San Francisco. Also, my grandpa ANYWHERE will have MPG averages that look amazing compared to a 17yo in Nebraska. Back road commuter with long stretches of slower steady driving on thinly used County roads will trounce a urban commuter traversing a mix of interstates, state, and local/city roads every day of the week.

Can't imagine why Ford would do guess work on the shift light, they want you to see the best they can deliver so can't go wrong much using it... but by far it's more important how you get to and from that shift light.
    Last edited by rnd; 01-10-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rnd View Post
    Y If I lived in ANYWHERE Nebraska, MPG averages will look amazing compared to someone in San Francisco.

I live in Brooklyn, NY, primarily drive short trips in traffic on local city streets, and my average has been between 26-30mpg. It's actually pretty amazing.
    '16 Fiesta SE Ecoboost Sedan- Candy Blue Metallic