Musty smell when not using A/C
Fiesta Faction - Ford Fiesta Forums

Default Musty smell when not using A/C

I've got kind of a weird problem. When I use my air vents with A/C off, but blowing cool air (i.e. below 72), I get a horrible musty smell from the vents. When I put A/C on, the musty smell stops immediately. This problem has been happening as long as I can remember, and replacing the cabin air filter didn't seem to have any effect. What could cause this?

Could be something in the duct work. There's this stuff called ozium that auto parts stores sell. You could try that.

Quote Originally Posted by MIFiesta View Post
    I've got kind of a weird problem. When I use my air vents with A/C off, but blowing cool air (i.e. below 72), I get a horrible musty smell from the vents. When I put A/C on, the musty smell stops immediately. This problem has been happening as long as I can remember, and replacing the cabin air filter didn't seem to have any effect. What could cause this?
    OMG I have had this issue forever. Ford said they couldn't smell anything, but I know my freaking car. The smell is there when you just use the vent & it's there especially when you recirculate. I hate that odor & always wonder if there is something slowly poisoning my lungs!
    2012 SES Exclusive Premium Sport Appearance Package: Black everything - Violet Gray - 50,000 miles

4. Remove Advertisements
    FiestaFaction.com
    Advertisements

They make a "bomb" that you let off inside your car with a/c on recirc. Let it run 15 minutes. Then go to fresh air and there's a product you spray through the cowl inlet, which kills all musty smells. Works on cigarette smoke too. Used this lots reconditioning cars.

Mine has been doing the same thing for about a year- except the AC smells musty only after either
    A. it rains or
    B. I use my wiper fluid.
    I work at a VW dealership and we have a few Ford certified techs and I'll tell you what we have tried everything except for replacing the EVAP and heating core. Currently, the AC smells better than before after multiple part replacements but my AC is leaking into my cabin. It's been a real hassle.