Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 1.0 liter and I live here in Michigan. During the coldest winter months, I still got about 38.9 mpg. All the way to high 40s in summer.

The past 3 - 4 months, 32 mpg? Shriek! It has 85,000 miles on it. The dealer said that it needs fuel injectors cleaned?
About a $150.00. It's not that much money, but my question is:
Has somebody experienced this mpg reduction at some point?
Did a fuel injection cleaning fix it?

Any thoughts out there?

·
Registered
533 Posts
$150 is a bit steep to clean 3 injectors, especially since they're about $70 a piece new. You can easily pull the injectors yourself and mail them somewhere to be professionally cleaned, they'll probably install new gaskets and o-rings without charge. Some have the tooling to disassemble the injector entirely (which I doubt the dealer would do).

Or, you could attempt an external clean yourself for free by soaking the tips in a cleaning solution, and running injector cleaner in your fuel for a few tanks.

Maybe intake valve cleaning? But to date I haven't seen much evidence severe carbon buildup is an issue where it causes misfires or vastly reduced mileage with the 1.0L platform.

It may simply just need spark plugs and air filter.

Make sure you're running 5w-20 oil, and proper tire inflation. Thicker oil and under inflated tires can cause a 5mpg hit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the very detailed response.

Odd thing is, I just had the plugs changed (within the last 2 weeks). I replaced them with the factory OEM iridium type. I had the service done. We'll see.
If it stays this way, I'll contact Ford.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in Michigan and have 120,000 miles on mine. During the winter I get around 33 to 36, just depends on a number of factors. The colder it is, the more fuel is used and I tend to let the car warm up longer. Driving in deeper snow, it goes down. I have found the 1.0 to be very picky and just a few small things can make my average mpg go all over the place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, and cool. I'll track it, but I feel a little better. It just seems that the swing, as a percentage, seems big.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will also admit that I mind pushing rpm's and boost. The car does great on mpg's, but i'm not one to try to get even more mpg's out of it. The car is just too much fun to drive. I do drive more spirited and that does burn more fuel. It's the cost to have fun. I know that the EcoBoost engine's don't like lots of boost at low rpm's, so if I push boost, it is at higher rpm's. I also only run Shell V-Power 93 oct in my car with Mobil 1 5w-20 oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sorry for being so late, but Fuel stations have higher octane levels during the summertime than winter, it is important to clean the gtdi engines every 50k with a throttle cleaner

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm interested to see what happens to my mileage in the winter. I picked up a 2015 SFE a couple of months ago and am 6 tanks of fuel into it. My best tank averaged 53, but this was babying it with almost all highway miles (albeit with AC on). My worst tank was 36 but this was while actively not worrying about mpg and was a mix of highway and city driving. I'm averaging 42 which I'm very pleased with as my f350 gets between 12 and 14. This has all been on 87 octane. I live in Oklahoma and don't get much variation in elevation so haven't seen a need for higher octane.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts