Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone in the US tuned with Pumaspeed? I have mine heavily molded minus a tune and want to use them. Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I haven’t used the Pumaspeed tune, but I’ve got the Superchips Bluefin stage 1 tune, which I believe is now available in the US. It’s made a big difference to how the car performs. I’m running the Mountune upgraded intercooler, all the silicone induction and boost hoses, K&N filter and the hard turbo elbow. What physical mods have you got?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven’t used puma speed but fingertuning has been timing my car with hptuners and I will say it’s made the car a lot more enjoyable to drive. We aren’t done messing with it yet but I can say I’m very happy with it so far. With an intake and exhaust you can hear the turbo spool a lot more too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a pumaspeed tune and it definitely made a difference. It took them quite a while to get me my tune and they aren’t very responsive to email so take that into account if you decide to move forward. I think there are now some US based companies that can tune our car so I would at least look at them also. I think with all the other mods you have done you definitely will like the improvement from a tune. My car still has the stock intake and intercooler and I can definitely tell it’s sensitive to heat. When I asked pumaspeed about this they told me the tune was intentionally made to be “safe” because heat is a problem and the didn’t want to damage the engine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
@1.0fox I assume you have an st, but to the other guys, are you tuning an n/a?

edit: lol i didn't realize that this was in the 1.0 forum, got too excited. but did discover that bluefin does have a tune for the 1.6! and not a bad price point. How do you like the bluefin?

·
Registered
12 Posts
@1.0fox I assume you have an st, but to the other guys, are you tuning an n/a?

edit: lol i didn't realize that this was in the 1.0 forum, got too excited. but did discover that bluefin does have a tune for the 1.6! and not a bad price point. How do you like the bluefin?
I haven’t messed with bluefin, when I was looking for a tuner back in 16 they said they didn’t support the usdm cars idk if that’s changed. I don’t know how hard it is to find a programmer/tuner for the 1.6n/a but if it’s anything like the 1.0 all I can say is good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realize I'm late to the party but I've had my car tuned with HP Tuners for quite some time now(July 2018). Biggest difference made was in the WOT fueling. It runs stoich almost to red-line. Timing in third gear at WOT is pretty sad too, never really going above 10* in my logs. I've since increased the airflow limits and started running 25-35% Ethanol. I see about 19psi max boost and it's way more enjoyable to drive than it was.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fingertuning is using hptuners for the platform for tuning car, it’s floating around 14* advanced, peak boost has been at 24.7lbs limiters for it starts around 22lbs I believe. It has ran better on a previous revision but it was near the limit of what 91 in my area can support... better to be safe than sorry but it runs a lot better now, it has a small dead spot still at 2500-3200 but it’s because the pcm is pulling fuel n timing some because of cylinder pressure. At least what I seen in one of the logs. He is still working on it. I believe we are at the 10th revision now. Tanner is a great dude and a good tuner. I’m going to have him tune the rs after we get this done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice. I had to stop revising because my laptop motherboard took a dump. I recall the ford guys saying going over 19-20psi is just adding heat anyway. I'd be interested in seeing how much timing I can get away with on E35, maybe taking it to a dyno. But at 4k altitude I don't expect much lol.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I realize I'm late to the party but I've had my car tuned with HP Tuners for quite some time now(July 2018). Biggest difference made was in the WOT fueling. It runs stoich almost to red-line. Timing in third gear at WOT is pretty sad too, never really going above 10* in my logs. I've since increased the airflow limits and started running 25-35% Ethanol. I see about 19psi max boost and it's way more enjoyable to drive than it was.
Yeah. My 2017 SFE has seen 2 tanks of regular gas. Switched to our local champagne, Chevron Good Old Premium 94 octane pure gasoline. Pulled the battery connection, I'm not waiting for it to learn, and bingo much better.

Way better off the bottom and is happy with power from 1700 or so. It used to not be happy there. As well its a little monster when I beat on her. No doubt at all, that the 94 octane helps with the computer pulling time, which of course with a boosted motor is one of the the main limiters to performance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah. My 2017 SFE has seen 2 tanks of regular gas. Switched to our local champagne, Chevron Good Old Premium 94 octane pure gasoline. Pulled the battery connection, I'm not waiting for it to learn, and bingo much better.

Way better off the bottom and is happy with power from 1700 or so. It used to not be happy there. As well its a little monster when I beat on her. No doubt at all, that the 94 octane helps with the computer pulling time, which of course with a boosted motor is one of the the main limiters to performance.
Nice. Are you tuned at all or stock?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just stock. I will get to some opening of the in and out fairly soon, then probably wheels and tires.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I want to switch to HP Tuners. The OE Tuning I'm running is super aggressive on timing when it's hot, and I have no way of controlling their tunes. So I've been running about 30% ethanol (in the summer) + water injection that keeps everything in check over the last year or two.

I've been out of the loop for a while. I should have just waited for HPTuners, but at the time I inquired, they had no interest in the 1.0L motor.

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
I have OE Tuning too as they were the only players in the US at the time. I have been enjoying the added power for sure however I am tired of the surging when under certain conditions. I have noted that the surging is almost eliminated when I run the A/C and assume that the AF ratios are less lean. Hearing how HP Tuners seem to be more engaged than OE (hit or miss) I am interested in them. Just hate to spend the money again. What I should do is stay focused on the Fiesta and get her on a dyno to be tuned

Hey Dirt, do you notice a change in performance when you run the A/C?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been enjoying the added power for sure however I am tired of the surging when under certain conditions. I have noted that the surging is almost eliminated when I run the A/C and assume that the AF ratios are less lean.

Hey Dirt, do you notice a change in performance when you run the A/C?
I notice a change when the AC is running with HPT but only when the engine is at operating temps but the engine bay hasn't gotten too heat soaked yet. Car seems really peppy. After my 45 drive home from work it gets sluggish though. No surging with HPT but in second it'll get a sudden jump in power around 4500rpm. My laptop suicided or I'd be figuring out why.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I notice a change when the AC is running with HPT but only when the engine is at operating temps but the engine bay hasn't gotten too heat soaked yet. Car seems really peppy. After my 45 drive home from work it gets sluggish though. No surging with HPT but in second it'll get a sudden jump in power around 4500rpm. My laptop suicided or I'd be figuring out why.
My 2017 with almost 10,000 miles has seen 4500 RPM maybe 10 times since I bought it. You can get pretty well as much acceleration without revving it up much at all. Mine runs between 1700 and about 3 grand for all my normal driving.

Now I do have the Champagne of gasoline, with my 94 Octane Chevron Premium use, and that makes the bottom end just sweet.

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
My 2017 with almost 10,000 miles has seen 4500 RPM maybe 10 times since I bought it. You can get pretty well as much acceleration without revving it up much at all. Mine runs between 1700 and about 3 grand for all my normal driving.

Now I do have the Champagne of gasoline, with my 94 Octane Chevron Premium use, and that makes the bottom end just sweet.
Lol. I can appreciate your impression of torque for this little motor. However, the folks in this thread are looking for maximum performance and are not puttsing around at low rpm. All of us running tunes are running the highest octane gas as that is what is required. I have 79k miles on mine with most of those driven aggressively. Fun little cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
However, the folks in this thread are looking for maximum performance and are not puttsing around at low rpm.
Yeah I'm one of them too. First 30k I didn't drive over 60mph. The last couple months I've been hard on it at times. But the ethanol content keeps it reasonably safe even with increased timing.

Had a go with an integra in Mexico (totally legally) the other day. Totally missed second because the 5spd transmission is trash, and still beat the guy when it finally went into second. I'm okay with this ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Lol. I can appreciate your impression of torque for this little motor. However, the folks in this thread are looking for maximum performance and are not puttsing around at low rpm. All of us running tunes are running the highest octane gas as that is what is required. I have 79k miles on mine with most of those driven aggressively. Fun little cars.

Oh for sure. Its just the torque curve on the non tuned motor is pretty well flat. So unless you are actually racing the difference in acceleration is not large. I don't know much about the curve on tuned motors, but from looking at the numbers it should be pretty flat too.

I also like that I can drive it around like a big block. ;)

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
So unless you are actually racing the difference in acceleration is not large. I don't know much about the curve on tuned motors, but from looking at the numbers it should be pretty flat too. . ;)
The difference in performance is pretty dramatic for such a little motor. My unofficial testing shows just under a full second reduction 0-60. I have a couple of supporting mods too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts