Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 Fiesta ecoboost from an older couple. The car only has 51k and it was always stored in a garage. For the first few weeks I was only driving it to work and back (15 min trip) but the other night I drove it about 40min to a family dinner. It was fine for the trip there, but once I pulled into my driveway after the drive home I noticed the fan stayed on after I shut the car off. I thought it was weird because I hasn't done that yet. The fan stayed on for probably a minute or two. Then there was a high pitched noise after the fan shut off. I opened the hood and noticed the coolant was boiling inside the reservoir. It didn't escape however. The check engine light didn't come on. My antifreeze level is fine, I just tested it and it's good to -35F and 264F. I tried bleeding the coolant lines by running the car with the cap off for 20 mins and didn't see any bubbles. I checked the hidden diagnostic menu and found that after idling for 30 minutes, the car reached 181F.

Any thoughts? It's my first car, not very knowledgeable yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,274 Posts
If there are no leaks and your coolant level is within specs then you should be ok. As for the coolant boiling, what you most likely witnessed is the secondary cooling strategy doing its job and circulating coolant after the engine has been shut off

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah that's your cooling system doing its job. No worries. It's like an old school turbo timer. It will keep coolant running through your turbo to keep it from burning the oil left in the turbo after shut off. The intercooler actually has a fan also. Pretty cool system from the factory

1 - 3 of 3 Posts