Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

My Fiesta has wobbled a little since I got it. Mechanic said it was my tires. I had the alignment checked and they said it was fine.

When I drive the car, for the past couple weeks at least, it will be fine at low speed, wiggle slightly at medium speed, and full on feel like I am driving over serious rumble strips past 55mph.

If I hit the brakes pretty good it will stop and the car will lurch to right for just a split second before straightening again and the problem returns.

Is this an engine mount? CV shaft? I am at a serious loss here and any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
if the Mechanic said it was your tires...then !??

well its basically anything that can spin.

First off check your wheel lugs. they might be very very loose.

go get all 4 tires balanced. and when they put the wheels back on have them use a TQ wrench, set to 90 Lb/ft

when they are re-balancing the tires, have them look under the car, look for something caught on the axles.

i would goto a local guy that you can trust rather than a pep boys or a walmart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This could be tons of things. Start with the easiest and work up. Have the wheels balanced and inspect tires/wheels looking for sidewall bubbles or bent rims. Check for play in the wheel bearings. Visual inspect axles /suspension. If nothing shows you're on to a scavenger hunt.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I agree with aspitaletto and Iceracer ... an interior layer may have ruptured and this should show on either a balance/runout test or something. If tires get eliminated, then go toward other rotating parts - axles/CV joints etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys! I am almost positive it isn't the tire doing this. It is an entirely separate problem from the ever present wiggle that was there to begin with. I probably should have clarified that better. This new one feels like when a 4wd goes bad on a truck.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
CV joints will normally make a clicking sound when you turn.
What does a truck do when the 4wd goes bad ? curious.
Still bet it is a tire.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
could be that the wheel is not sitting flat on the axle flange / rotor too...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
check the air pressures in all the tires in addition to making sure the wheels are balanced and torqued properly to 98 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I will chime in and say tires. We had a left rear start to separate at around 32k. At first it just made some noise at higher speeds (I thought it was the roads, we had recently moved to a new area and I wasn't used to the surface) but soon after we started getting vibrations. I had the tires balanced, but the problems presented once the car had been in motion for a few miles at highway speeds, so when the tire warmed up it got worse. A new set of tires and boom, no problems. The tires they put on these cars new are garbage.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hey everyone!

My Fiesta has wobbled a little since I got it. Mechanic said it was my tires. I had the alignment checked and they said it was fine.

When I drive the car, for the past couple weeks at least, it will be fine at low speed, wiggle slightly at medium speed, and full on feel like I am driving over serious rumble strips past 55mph.

If I hit the brakes pretty good it will stop and the car will lurch to right for just a split second before straightening again and the problem returns.

Is this an engine mount? CV shaft? I am at a serious loss here and any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
When you say mechanic, do you mean at your Ford Dealer? I recommend getting the certified techs to run some tests to get you a diagnosis. Once you set up an appointment, let me know and I can look into some options.

Welcome to the forum!

Meagan

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Well, he has been told six time that it is tires, but for some reason he does not want to believe this. He wants it to be something else.
Even when it is the most logical explanation.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
maybe it is a bent wheel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts