Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wish Ford Racing would sell the 17 inch wheels that were intially released for Fiesta production (a pre-order option) but were pulled from production (I believe due to tire damage because of poor USA roads). They are so fantasic looking!!!!!!!!!

They still show them on the Fiesta Accessories website (on Lime Green Fiesta) at http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fiesta/accessories/ even though you can't purchase them! They are on the European Fiesta but I believe the European wheel won't fit on a USA Fiesta.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I wish Ford Racing would sell the 17 inch wheels that were intially released for Fiesta production (a pre-order option) but were pulled from production (I believe due to tire damage because of poor USA roads). They are so fantasic looking!!!!!!!!!

They still show them on the Fiesta Accessories website (on Lime Green Fiesta) at 2011 Ford Fiesta Accessories | View All 2011 Ford Fiesta Accessories | FordVehicles.com even though you can't purchase them! They are on the European Fiesta but I believe the European wheel won't fit on a USA Fiesta.
Who knows exactly why the rims weren't offered. I think it was more than just the possibility of damage (maybe cost at almost $2k? production issues? maybe the lack of people who wanted to reserve theirs with those rims).

Still, the price they wanted for those rims were enough to cause people to balk at them.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Who knows exactly why the rims weren't offered. I think it was more than just the possibility of damage (maybe cost at almost $2k? production issues? maybe the lack of people who wanted to reserve theirs with those rims).

Still, the price they wanted for those rims were enough to cause people to balk at them.
That is why I didn't have them on my reserved Fiesta because you can get a whole lot better wheels for a whole lot cheaper in the aftermarket for sure.

·
Registered
406 Posts
In addition to the ridiculous cost, Matt Wolfe told me there were other issues:

1) The larger diameter wheel and low-profile tires meant a harsher ride, which Ford felt Americans would find unacceptable, and

2) The standard Dunlop handling tires that Ford was using on that wheel had a poor wear rating, meaning Americans who avg. 15-18K miles/yr.(vs. about 10-12K for Europeans) would probably be buying a complete set every year at a cost of some $500-600 or more.

They may been right on both points, but they should've offered more wheel choices. In the UK, there are a dozen wheels available from 14" to the 17" in question here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The harshness of ride from the 40 profile 17" tires I have doesn't alarm me and couldn't possibly be what I would call dramatically different from the 50 profile the car came with. I will be the first to admit I never drove the car on the hancook junk it came with. My 17's were installed at the dealer on delivery day. The ride is still not what I would call harsh.

Performance tires (worth their salt) are generally going to have lower tread wear ratings. Get used to it. If you get a 'real' performance tire and it has a high treadwear rating, be prepared for premature squeeling around corners and compromises in the handling/grip. It's kinda like buying an exotic car and whining about the gas mileage. Really good performance tires that are 'really' good are not going to have a high treadwear rating. If they do, they're reaching for people that not only expect to have their cake and eat it too, but expect it to be cheap as well as good.

Everytime we get compromises in our cars because we are Americans, it's embarrassing. Seriously.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I road on both sets of wheels my 15's and my 17's and the ride quality is a little bumpier but not enough to annoy me. Plus the car really does look sharper with the better sized wheels.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
There are a number of reasons why the 17" wheels did not make it into production. The harsher ride would turn off many people, extra rotational mass slows the car down on acceleration, trouble finding suitable tires was a big issue, and the Fiesta Movement showed that the 205/40 17 would not survive in the US. Countless tires and wheels were destroyed by agents from road debris, pot holes, ect. I have been living with low profile tires for 10 years and only suffered one failure from a pot hole. The average consumer would have lived with the compromises needed to live with a 17" summer tire. Increased NVH, decreased wet traction, zero snow traction, issues with pot holes, and extra cost were things that 99.8% of Fiesta owners would not want. Since there are a few of us, and I mean very few of us, who want a performance summer tire in 17", we can pick something from the aftermarket. If Ford would have offered a 17" wheel and tire, it may have been with an all-season tire, which would have been worthless for performance. Having the option to buy our own 17" and pick our own tires is a way better solution.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Maybe Ford should've offered a Sport(SVT?) model with the body kit, FRPP handling kit, maybe a strut brace and/or sway bars, and the 17's. That way the buyer should have no expectation of a ride similar to stock. Would've saved some of us some money, too:p

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Maybe Ford should've offered a Sport(SVT?) model with the body kit, FRPP handling kit, maybe a strut brace and/or sway bars, and the 17's. That way the buyer should have no expectation of a ride similar to stock. Would've saved some of us some money, too:p
keep your fingers crossed as there is a good chance of stuff coming in the future. There has never been a performance model that was launched at Job1. Every Cobra was a few model years into production, the SVT Contour and Focus was a couple years in, the Lightning and Raptor both came later. I am not saying there will be one, but chances are good in the future for a performance model. You didn't think all this rally and motorsports exposure of the Focus and Fiesta is for nothing?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
keep your fingers crossed as there is a good chance of stuff coming in the future. There has never been a performance model that was launched at Job1. Every Cobra was a few model years into production, the SVT Contour and Focus was a couple years in, the Lightning and Raptor both came later. I am not saying there will be one, but chances are good in the future for a performance model. You didn't think all this rally and motorsports exposure of the Focus and Fiesta is for nothing?
The thinking at SVT was (maybe still is now) that performance models were introduced two years after the original (non-SVT) model is launched.

As for the wheels, I remember the 2005 Mustangs weren't originally offered with the 18-inch wheel option due to some configuration and assembly issue (i.e. needing either more room or strength to haul an 18-inch wheel up for assembly onto the vehicle). Who knows what the future will bring for the Fiesta :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree that the cost was high on the wheels/tires Ford was going to offer ($2K option).

However, I have reviewed over 1000 wheels from most of the aftermarket companies and none are what I would call "real stylish" like what Ford was going to offer. Just like most cars, all the companies offer look-alikes that are boring (to my eyes & taste)!!!!!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
have you seen the Ford Racing 15-spoke Fiesta wheel? they look similar to the SVT Focus Euro wheel. you could buy them with 205/40-17 tires for $1000 or so depending on what tires you choose.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
You can also buy the European Fiesta 17" and have them shipped over. They are an outstanding looking wheel, and better than most aftermarket wheels. I was trying to help another Fiesta owner pick out 17" wheels and I only found 2 I liked. One of the OZ wheels, and the other is the Sparco Pista, which looks just like the FRPP Focus 15 spoke wheel. I am sure glad I kept my custom set of Axis touring cups!

·
Registered
101 Posts
have you seen the Ford Racing 15-spoke Fiesta wheel? they look similar to the SVT Focus Euro wheel. you could buy them with 205/40-17 tires for $1000 or so depending on what tires you choose.
You can find EAP's for a heck of a lot cheaper than that. I've seen sets WITH new tires go for around $400 plus shipping.

I have driven on 40 series tires for years. Yes, it is a tad more "harsher" but totally do able if you don't drive like a careless twit. If you try to avoid potholes like with a normal sized tire then you would be fine.

-spatakula

·
Registered
406 Posts
You can find EAP's for a heck of a lot cheaper than that. I've seen sets WITH new tires go for around $400 plus shipping.
For a set of four??!!:eek: Are they used or stolen?:D The wheels alone retail for $139/ea. so even with a discount, they're gonna be at least $400 just for the wheels. If you find that set again, let me know; I'll buy all they got.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For a set of four??!!:eek: Are they used or stolen?:D The wheels alone retail for $139/ea. so even with a discount, they're gonna be at least $400 just for the wheels. If you find that set again, let me know; I'll buy all they got.
I got my svt 5 spoke wheels, w/ falken tires all brand new for $500.00, but I know people and I work for Ford, so that helped, haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first post so hello to everyone - great community, and great site.

Last week I put on 17” Sparco Pistas with Hankook Ventus V12’s. The tires happen to be 205/45/17 which is the size Tirerack recommends. Overall diameter is bigger than stock 15's and the look is similar to the Focus 15 spokes. Ride is slightly compromised but certainly not harsh. I think the sidewall on a 205/40/17 would be scary and I might even go with 215/45/17 for my next set. Reading all these posts about damage almost makes me wish I had gone with 16’s…almost. I gotta say the added grip is phenomenal compaired to stock. Now I’m seriously considering the factory handling pack. According to the specs the drop is minimal, and a touch more in back where the gap is bigger. Should be perfect for my tastes.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
My first post so hello to everyone - great community, and great site.

Last week I put on 17” Sparco Pistas with Hankook Ventus V12’s. The tires happen to be 205/45/17 which is the size Tirerack recommends. Overall diameter is bigger than stock 15's and the look is similar to the Focus 15 spokes. Ride is slightly compromised but certainly not harsh. I think the sidewall on a 205/40/17 would be scary and I might even go with 215/45/17 for my next set. Reading all these posts about damage almost makes me wish I had gone with 16’s…almost. I gotta say the added grip is phenomenal compaired to stock. Now I’m seriously considering the factory handling pack. According to the specs the drop is minimal, and a touch more in back where the gap is bigger. Should be perfect for my tastes.
welcome to the Faction, and great wheel choice! The Pista is one of my favorite wheels. As for tire size, I agree that the P205/40 is too scary in regards to sidewall. I am running the P215/40 and I am very happy with the tire selection. As for going to P215/45, I would not suggest it. I tried out a set of tires that size on the car I had for the Fiesta Movement and the clearance was very tight. The tires may hit when turning, at full bump and full drop. It is just too close.

·
Registered
3 Posts
BRGT350,

Thanks for the wheel compliment and the sizing advice. Undoubtedly your Fiesta is the most stunning I've seen with the 3d body kit. Nice job!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts