Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the selection of tires in 185/60/15 with the speed rating of H (as used on the Fiesta S and SE without the SFE package) is rather sparse, compared to lower speed rated tires of the same size.

Some searching comes up with just four choices:

Kumho Solus KH25 (the OEM tire)
Falken Ziex ZE-912
General Altimax HP
Pirelli P6 Four Seasons

Any thoughts on whether H-rated tires in 185/60/15 will become more available a few years down the road, when Fiesta owners will be wearing out their OEM tires and needing new ones?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Seems like the selection of tires in 185/60/15 with the speed rating of H (as used on the Fiesta S and SE without the SFE package) is rather sparse, compared to lower speed rated tires of the same size.

Some searching comes up with just four choices:

Kumho Solus KH25 (the OEM tire)
Falken Ziex ZE-912
General Altimax HP
Pirelli P6 Four Seasons

Any thoughts on whether H-rated tires in 185/60/15 will become more available a few years down the road, when Fiesta owners will be wearing out their OEM tires and needing new ones?
It's hard to say at this rate. New tires are always being introduced, so different sizes can pop up. That being said, not many manufacturers will spring into a size for one specific car unless it's an OEM-equipment offering or it is cost effective.

Out of the ones you found, there have been a lot of mixed reviews with both the Falken Ziex ZE-912s and P6.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Try 195/55/15. That will get you a couple more H rated tires and is fairly close in size. But, there's no reason to stick with H. Any speed rating will be fine for the Fiesta.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Try 195/55/15. That will get you a couple more H rated tires and is fairly close in size. But, there's no reason to stick with H. Any speed rating will be fine for the Fiesta.
Most tire shops and retailers will say that you should stick with (at least) the ratings (things like traction, temperature, load index, and speed rating) that come on your car from the factory.

How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

Load Range/Ply Rating Identification

Given the size of the tire and the fairly low profile sidewall, I'd say most of those tires will be H-rated or above.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Given the size of the tire and the fairly low profile sidewall, I'd say most of those tires will be H-rated or above.
195/55/15 does have mostly H rated and above (actually lots of V rated tires).

185/60/15 has mostly T rated tires.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Most tire shops and retailers will say that you should stick with (at least) the ratings (things like traction, temperature, load index, and speed rating) that come on your car from the factory.
Yes. Lawyers. A T speed rating should be fine though on the fiesta in the same factory tire size. Many heavier cars come factory equipped with T rated tires in the 185/60/15 tire size and there isn't death and mayhem on the streets because of it.;)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just avoid the Pirellis in general. They don't have much in mileage lifespan unless you're incredibly frugal and conservative in your driving habits. They were the OEM tires on my ST and didn't last beyond 25K miles. Once the traction bars shown I had nothing in terms of grip on any level of snow, ice and wet roads. I've begun hearing the same with the Kumho Solus as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once the traction bars shown I had nothing in terms of grip on any level of snow, ice and wet roads. I've begun hearing the same with the Kumho Solus as well.
General rule of thumb is that below 6/32", all-season and winter tires start losing their snow capability (of course, summer tires never had any), and below 4/32", tires get significantly worse in wet conditions (wear bars show at 2/32"; new tires typically start at 9/32" or 10/32").

·
Registered
61 Posts
all good responses,but i am going to get 195/50 size instead of 185/60..this will be a fraction wider but still close to same rolling ratio(height overall):..plus it will have a little less sidewall but okay for most potholes...my 2 cents...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts