Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change to get out any material at 1300 miles..Put on a fram extended oil filter and filled up with 4 qts 5w20 and .2 qts of 0w20 mobil 1 synthetic....easy to get at filter and drain pan takes a 13 mm wrench to remove..

·
Banned
528 Posts
Where did you get that formulation from?

Did my first oil change to get out any material at 1300 miles..Put on a fram extended oil filter and filled up with 4 qts 5w20 and .2 qts of 0w20 mobil 1 synthetic....easy to get at filter and drain pan takes a 13 mm wrench to remove..
Is that a formulation that has worked in the past for you? Also what brand of 5w20 did you use? Was it dino, or syn?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil..

i used mobil1 synthetic for both..5w20 and 0w20...just came up with myself on formula from 30 years of motocross racing and past mustangs owned..the less friction you have the better i like to fool around and check mileage results and wear results..when you consider i only added the final .2 qts of a 4.2 qt fill its still very close to 5w20 overall...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Question: What does the new engine do to the oil so you have to change it before the recom. 10,000 miles?
My car is new also and am I supposed to avoid shifting over 4500 rpm's. Example: from 3rd to 4th gear shifting at 4500 rpms. I heard here from a person not to shift over 3000 for a new engine. (If that's true, how long do I have to drive like a grandma)

·
Registered
21 Posts
jenblossom32, my understanding is that an early first change is to get any errant metal bits or any other debris from the manufacturing process. It's not mandatory by any means, but can't hurt.

As for the rest of the question, the old rationale for avoiding high revs was to let everything seat correctly. In this era of modern manufacturing, it's not nearly as important as it was 30 years ago, but can't hurt for the first 500-1000 miles.

I can almost guarantee you'll get advice from across the board. (I'm not in the auto industry, just a weekend wrench-turner.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
early change

i chose to change it around 1300 miles to be cautious of contaminants(metal shavings or other foreign materials)...i am just being extra cautious and would recommend not to do it till after 1000 miles..it has worked on a geo metro and a ford aspire both were decommissioned after 250,000 miles with just oil,filters,and brake jobs..engines both ran great and succumbed to other failures beside engine....geo blew radiator in the winter and the aspires clutch grenaded apart it was the original .springs came apart in clutch pack....

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I just taken possession of my 2011 Fiesta automatic hatch 2 weeks ago. I usually do my own oil change. Does anybody know what kind of oil is used from the factory...organic or synthetic? Are there any real advantages to using the syn?
Also are the filters available from places like PEPBoys?

·
Registered
947 Posts
The Pep Boys don't carry Motorcraft stuff, which is the best, but there are equivalents.

If Ford uses their own Motorcraft 5w-20 oil for the factory fillup, then it would have to be a synthetic blend, as they don't have a 5w-20 regular oil (none that I've been able to find).

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
I'd be curious to know which oil refiner actually produces the Motorcraft 5w-20..anyone know?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Also are the filters available from places like PEPBoys?
Motorcraft oil and filters are available at Ford dealers and Wal Mart.

Be sure that the Motorcraft filter is FL-910S, not the older FL-910 that may still be sitting on a shelf somewhere (the newer S version is required for the Fiesta (probably due to the 10,000 mile oil change interval) and may be used in other cars previously specifying the older version). If using other brand filters, be sure that they are equivalent to the S version.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'd be curious to know which oil refiner actually produces the Motorcraft 5w-20..anyone know?
I would say QuakerState/Pennzoil, but I'm not sure. I would have to look on our computer at work, hopefully it'll say who it is.

I checked the oil manufacturer at work on the computer and was unable to find out the company name that makes Motorcraft oil, only shows as Ford Motor.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Motorcraft oil and filters are available at Ford dealers and Wal Mart.

Be sure that the Motorcraft filter is FL-910S, not the older FL-910 that may still be sitting on a shelf somewhere (the newer S version is required for the Fiesta (probably due to the 10,000 mile oil change interval) and may be used in other cars previously specifying the older version). If using other brand filters, be sure that they are equivalent to the S version.
I believe the S stands for the silicon anti-drainback valve.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I found both the 5w-20 Motorcraft Syn Blend and the FL-910S at my local AutoZone, which I believe is a national chain. As stated above, make sure the filter is the 910S, not the older 910. It'll fit, but it won't last 10K miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts