Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
How did this car perform in the IIHS "Top Pick" Contest?

By PHIL PATTON
Published: September 10, 2010
The Ford Fiesta and the Mazda 2 are siblings, but the cars are intended to project different personalities and attract different buyers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/12/automobiles/12DESIGN.html
Well, I can't answer that question, but it appears as if the "platform" is the only thing these two cars share. It has a "Miller Cycle Engine" and does not share any design cues.

The Mazda 2 looks like it's own car in it's own class.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I can't answer that question, but it appears as if the "platform" is the only thing these two cars share. It has a "Miller Cycle Engine" and does not share any design cues.

where did you read that the Mazda2 has a Miller cycle engine? the Mazda Millenia had one that was supercharged.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

The Mazda2's Miller Cycle Engine is of 1.3L displacement, and there were no official plans to bring it to North America. It was designed to replace a supercharged version used in the previous Mazda2 (the Demio) generation.

The North American version of the Mazda2 gets the 1.5L I4.

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
The U.S. Mazda2 (1.5L) is not a Miller cycle engine. The JDM 1.3L is though.

EDIT: Beat me to it. ;)

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
Also, while the Fiesta and Mazda2 platform was a joint venture between Ford and Mazda, supposedly the cars only share four small parts. I'm pretty sure it's wheel bearings and a few rear suspension pieces.

Actually, from what I've heard, the Mazda2 wasn't even originally engineered to meet U.S. requirements. And it wasn't until the Ford team basically said "we're going to make sure we get this car approved for the U.S." did Mazda really dig in and find a way to make the 2 comply as well.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
Also, while the Fiesta and Mazda2 platform was a joint venture between Ford and Mazda, supposedly the cars only share four small parts. I'm pretty sure it's wheel bearings and a few rear suspension pieces.

Actually, from what I've heard, the Mazda2 wasn't even originally engineered to meet U.S. requirements. And it wasn't until the Ford team basically said "we're going to make sure we get this car approved for the U.S." did Mazda really dig in and find a way to make the 2 comply as well.

Interesting.....

Hard to believe that they only share four parts. I tend to doubt that.

Anyone have pics of the US spec and RoW spec side by side of the Mazda 2

It would be cool to see how much of a difference there is.

·
Registered
260 Posts
On the Fiesta Faction forums homepage it says, "there are no dumb questions." I'm going to ask what might appear to be a dumb one....what does the term "share a platform" mean if they really only share a few parts? :confused:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Interesting.....

Hard to believe that they only share four parts. I tend to doubt that.

Anyone have pics of the US spec and RoW spec side by side of the Mazda 2

It would be cool to see how much of a difference there is.
US spec

RoW spec

So the extent of the 2's changes is actually comparable to the Fiesta's. However, Mazda will be incorporating the US changes into the facelifted RoW 2, which is being released right about now.

·
Banned
1,063 Posts
The US exterior is almost an exact copy of the RoW car very hard to tell the differences...I actually like the front end treatment better than the RoW car..I notice that the rear fogs are gone though. (check that the new front fascia is the new design for the entire 2 line up including the US.)

The interior is not as good though...it seems they changed just enough to make it less "good" IMO"...

Don't like the center line of the US dash (but related to crash issues?) but why in the heck did they spec those cheap looking HVAC knobs instead of the nice looking ones in the RoW car...same for the stereo design it doesn't look as cohesive to me.

I'm still willing to consider one if the price is right and the 5dr is available in a base model...

Of couse I still like the overall package of the Fiesta more.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts