Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!
Has anyone experienced corrosion in the fuse box under the hood ? Mine has got road grit and salt in there and shorted things out. Repairs are imminent. Has anyone heard of this or know of a repair/TSB ??

thanks

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Where have you been driving/location? Got pics?
Yea, welcome to the faction, is the corrosion physically in the box under the plastic cover?? Like Freebird said, pics would help, and again thanks for picking us for Fiesta stuff!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Pics. But I live in Ottawa Canada. The car has 85000 km and is used on the highway frequently. The corrosion is as if you had a solution of road salt and grit spread on the inside of the fuse box. Car had intermittent starting problems , headlights out, and a check engine light. The fuse box cover does not seem to fit very snugly, but that is how it came.
Do other Fiesta have a gasket on their covers? Perhaps mine is missing something like that.

thanks again...
Chris

Where have you been driving/location? Got pics?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I have found sand inside mine. It's frankly, a poorly designed unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that's good to know. I think you should vacuum it out, and see if you can put a thin gasket on the top of the cover so that is seals against the top of the box. The car is in the shop now, and I know it will cost $$$ to fix.

thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a very common problem in Atlantic Canada. I've seen fuses actually corroded and broken in their sockets. The problem is the design of the fuse box which Ford changed in the next year models. At the front of the cover is a vent which allows water and crap to go up into the fuse box area, even with the cover correctly installed. A fix is to cut a piece of foam that fits this vent hole. Another good thing to do is disconnect your battery and thoroughly spray down the fuse box with an Electrical Contact Cleaner. You will reset all your dash and radio settings but it is much safer to do this with no current present at the fuses. I hope I'm not forgetting anything.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey, i got about 93k on my 2011 SES, lived in alberta when i purchased the car and have moved (driven) back to Ontario i got a bunch of sand and such in and around my Fusebox and if you look you can see the GROUND corroding away that noone wants to perform a TSB on, but it hasnt given me any issue with fuses just Transmission......

Post a picture or two so we can get an idea of whats going on in there!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hey, i got about 93k on my 2011 SES, lived in alberta when i purchased the car and have moved (driven) back to Ontario i got a bunch of sand and such in and around my Fusebox and if you look you can see the GROUND corroding away that noone wants to perform a TSB on, but it hasnt given me any issue with fuses just Transmission......

Post a picture or two so we can get an idea of whats going on in there!

That's what mine looks like too. Still works fine. Perhaps this was made by Lucus!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine was full of sand and had white powder that look like corrosion starting where the 3* 15A small fuses are in the middle row. When the car didn't start 2 weeks ago that was the first thing I look at and clean.

I will certainly try to use a piece of foam to prevent anymore sand and salt from coming in.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine was full of sand and had white powder that look like corrosion starting where the 3* 15A small fuses are in the middle row. When the car didn't start 2 weeks ago that was the first thing I look at and clean.

I will certainly try to use a piece of foam to prevent anymore sand and salt from coming in.
I would take some compressed air and give it a good blast and get some electrical contact cleaner and give it a tidy, might consider doing the same and put some foam in there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys, another victim of the fuse disaster here, I have 120k km on mine, 2011 SE also from Ontario, I don't have pics of it bits as bad or worse than the pics here. I contacted ford, no Tsb's or recalls yet but please email them if you have this problem. They basically told me until many complaints come in we have to cover costs ourselves, its a very pricey component to replace and I have had many issues from this including loss of A/C, radiator fan, and headlights. Please email them if you can. Its only a matter of time before the corrosion starts messing with things on your vehicles too. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey guys, another victim of the fuse disaster here, I have 120k km on mine, 2011 SE also from Ontario, I don't have pics of it bits as bad or worse than the pics here. I contacted ford, no Tsb's or recalls yet but please email them if you have this problem. They basically told me until many complaints come in we have to cover costs ourselves, its a very pricey component to replace and I have had many issues from this including loss of A/C, radiator fan, and headlights. Please email them if you can. Its only a matter of time before the corrosion starts messing with things on your vehicles too. :(
In my picture above i have had my 40AMP F1 fuse for the TCS and ABS actually go, i had to get a replacement from Napa, could this have been a corrosion issue? or just a wear and tear repacement?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Basically with all that water and salt getting inside and creating a nasty and conductive environment I can see that if a fuse happened to get wet around the terminals and cross with the power supply of another circuit it would introduce a spike in current across that circuit thereby blowing the fuse, or in some instances starting a small fire if current was allowed to travel around or across a blown fuse and cause a buildup of heat.

of course there's always a chance that it may be unrelated, but if your fuse box looks like the rest of ours then i would doubt normal wear and tear

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's my box, as you can see the corrosion in the top left is really bad, thats after I wiped most of it away to check fuses, most of the fuses in that row broke when trying to replace them. i revived some of the circuits by replacing the blown fuse and wiggling the fuse in the socket, but i still have troubles with my high and low beams.

ford fiesta fuse box on 2011 SE after 120,000KMS by kevintheiss, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
After reading this thread I disconnected the battery ground and pulled all the relays, sprayed them with cleaner/corrosive inhibitor and put them all back. All of the relay pins were showing signs of corrosion. I didn't have time to pull all the fuses but I did spray the cleaner down along side them. I'm sure they were all corroding too.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Can someone post a picture of where the water is getting in? I want to prevent this on my 15 when it arrives. I'm also thinking of spraying the whole thing with CorrosionX to hopefully prevent the corrosion.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts