Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background: I have a 2011 Ford Fiesta SES Hatchback. It has 195k miles on it and is my baby. I have been very lucky up until this point to not have had any major issues with the car AT ALL. That being said: Last Thursday, as I was about to leave work, I put the car in reverse to pull out of my parking spot and the car acted like I was neutral. I was confused, so I put it back in park and then back in reverse and it did the same thing. So I put it in park, turned the car off and on again, and still had the issue. I put it in drive and was able to move forward. So I put it in neutral and pushed it out of the spot. I was able to drive it to the small transmission shop in my town, although it was shifting VERY hard and overall driving strange.
Got a call from the shop today saying he believes I need a whole new transmission, which will be $5700 JUST FOR PARTS. Obviously, he knew that wasn't going to happen. I had plans to try and drive it to the Ford dealership because I have a strong feeling it's just the TCM shitting out finally -- however, I just read another post from a couple days about the TCM modules being on MAJOR back order.
So I am posting here - any troubleshooting advice we can do home? Sadly, the transmission shop cleared the codes and doesn't remember what the engine code was. Has anyone bought a refurbished TCM online and had it reflashed by Ford? I really don't want to give up on this car just yet, especially with the used car market the way it is.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
... because I have a strong feeling it's just the TCM shitting out finally
Could be the TCM - or it could be that one of the actuators on the clutch is bad. Did it shift like it was skipping gears? 1,3,5 and not hitting 2,4,6 (or the other way around)? I don't know what clutch the reverse is attached to but that might explain no reverse and hard shifts. The levers are electrically activated and there are two. One for each "side" of the tranny. Basically two 3-speed transmissions that take turns.

But that is a complete guess. Mine was shifting very strange (2011 SEL Hatchback - 120k miles and third clutch) and I took it out on a deserted road and did 4 or 5 wide-open-throttle accelerations from dead stop. Watched a video about how this can help unstick a sticky clutch lever (because it has to shift so hard under high accel) and also scrubs the clutch faces a little with the hard engagements. Not placebo - it drove much smoother after that. FWIW.

But if you blow your tranny or motor - you didn't get that advice from me!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts