Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for Fiesta to chew up tires? Rear tires always get cupped so severely that rotations do not smooth them and any new set will start howling after 10k miles.
Have had about 6 alignments over the years for it pulling to left (steering wheel off center). Alignment printouts show the same every time, they adjust toe because it's the only adjustment, snd caster camber is off on the right front. Dealers and tire shops, nobody seems to want to fix the issue, though i know there must be shims or spme way to do it. Im about fed up with this car but I love getting 42 mpg....so how do i find a shop willing to do the work and not just rip me off?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That’s quite unusual. Has the vehicle been in a wreck and repaired? How many miles on the chassis? Have ball joints, tierod ends and control arm bushings been replaced? There are caster/camber kits if needed.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a 2014 hatch which has had three alignments (2 were by the shop who put my suspension kit on and those alignments were dead on). I’m on tire set number 3 after 183,000 miles.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s quite unusual. Has the vehicle been in a wreck and repaired? How many miles on the chassis? Have ball joints, tierod ends and control arm bushings been replaced? There are caster/camber kits if needed.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
This is ongoing issue since it was new. No accidents or incidents of any kind. Currently about 96000 miles . The first alignment was years and years ago for pulling left, thinking it was around 20k miles not sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Focus had a camber issue which Ford would not do a recall on. I’d look up recalls for your vehicle and start there.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2014 hatch which has had three alignments (2 were by the shop who put my suspension kit on and those alignments were dead). I’m on tire set number 3 after 183,000 miles.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
Oh geez, I went through 2 sets of good tires before the car had 55k miles... grrr I just drive normal/gentle ! Dam dealer bought it brand new amd they never said anything but "oh, that's because the car is so light in the back" !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nah. That’s an idiot dealer. I keep my tires rotated every 3000mi and never had a problem. I beat on my car every now and again and have driving over a wide range of different surfaces doing home health. I know my car has been an absolute driving and maintenance dream... even with the modifications I’ve added.

I’m sorry you’re having an issue. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, that dealer pretty much tried to dodge warranty issues, and the lies they told... I was treated like royalty while under warranty with the provision that I fill out any survey about them as "100% satisfied".
I think what I should do is drive some other Fiesta's and see if they drive different. If I cannot locate a shop that will actually fix this it might be time to sell it and go (gulp) Chevy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don’t let one apple spoil the bunch. Fiestas are great vehicles.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right, I love the solid feel and the fuel economy. Maybe I'll sell my 2012 for a nice, newer Titanium? But you're right, come to think of it, about it being lemon flavored. I forgot that at 60k the water pump, an engine seal, rear struts, all went out. Not to mention a defective clutch assemble replaced under warranty...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah. I think you got one built the day before a holiday lol. I replaced my timing belt, water pump, and thermostat at 181,000. Still running on the strong factory clutch.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it normal for Fiesta to chew up tires? Rear tires always get cupped so severely that rotations do not smooth them and any new set will start howling after 10k miles.
Have had about 6 alignments over the years for it pulling to left (steering wheel off center). Alignment printouts show the same every time, they adjust toe because it's the only adjustment, snd caster camber is off on the right front. Dealers and tire shops, nobody seems to want to fix the issue, though i know there must be shims or spme way to do it. Im about fed up with this car but I love getting 42 mpg....so how do i find a shop willing to do the work and not just rip me off?
Post up the alignment sheet. I got about 20k off the stock Hankook tires before needing replacement.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Post up the alignment sheet. I got about 20k off the stock Hankook tires before needing replacement.
20k? That’s terrible wear. I got 65k out of mine and and I did home health running 150-200 miles a day.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s

·
Registered
11 Posts
20k? That’s terrible wear. I got 65k out of mine and and I did home health running 150-200 miles a day.

Cold Air Intake
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
I agree, they wore down way too quick. The toe was off when I had the alignment checked a year after buying the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've lost the alignment sheet but I know that everything was within spec but the right front, which is off on caster and camber, sorry I don't remember the numbers but I don't believe it was off by a large amount.. I remember that when the car was in warranty the Ford shop replaced the strut mount on the right front. Could they have screwed up the alignment and too lazy to fix it?
Also wondering about tire size; the 2012 SE was equipped with 185 wide tires. I picked this model specifically through experience with snow- narrow tires are best in snow. But I also know that other models and newer models were equipped with 195 wide tires. the width of the tire shouldn't have anything to do with cupping and excessive wear in the back of the car. And when the Ford guys told me "it's because it's so light in the rear" I'm sure that they're just prejudiced against small cars,.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts