Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, just bought a used 2014 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost with ~89k miles on it yesterday. Already came across a very worrisome issue. At times, seems to be intermittent, the engine seems to misfire and smell like rotten egg. I have tried reading through threads but none address something like this.I do not see a leak, nor is there oil in the coolant, I'll check the oil for coolant later today. Any one have suggestions??
EDIT: Also rpm's drop during idle when this occurs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Rotten egg smell usually means a bad cat. Perhaps it feel apart and is clogging the exhaust .

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you are in the States I believe you are able to check for codes via Ford sync. I don't live in the States so I cannot tell you how to do it. I believe it goes over it in the usuer manual.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Is this something that happens to these cars at this mileage?
It's not specific to the Fiesta. All vehicles have the same (functionally) catalytic converter. There are a myriad of reasons why one could fail. The symptoms you're describing are textbook signs of failure.

This should be covered under emissions warranty. See your dealer, soon. Especially since you've just purchased the vehicle hours ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not specific to the Fiesta. All vehicles have the same (functionally) catalytic converter. There are a myriad of reasons why one could fail. The symptoms you're describing are textbook signs of failure.

This should be covered under emissions warranty. See your dealer, soon. Especially since you've just purchased the vehicle hours ago.
I believe this is out of the warranty period, it has 89,xxx miles on it

·
Registered
535 Posts
The rotten egg smell is normally caused by excessive unburned fuel reaching the cats. Cats generally just don't fail without a root cause. If this has been an ongoing issue, then the cat will eventually partially melt causing enough back pressure to cause driving issues.

To me, it sounds like a classic misfire. First, check/change the sparkplugs and see if that clears it up. You are about due for new ones anyway. It could be a coil, but don't run out and buy a coil yet.

Inspect the old plugs, sometimes the cylinder with the misfire will look different.

To save money from going the dealer, buy a ELM327 adapter and download Torque app for your phone. Mode 6 data should tell you which cylinder is misfiring by historic counts. If plugs don't solve it, then swap coils around to see if the misfire moves to another cylinder. If it does then you have a bad coil. At that time only buy one coil (no need to buy all three).

In addition, you can download FORscan. It has a feature that will pinpoint which cylinder is misfiring in real-time by showing an acceleration value. You can also can turn off injectors one by one to verify if needed.

I'm going to assume it's not a fueling issue at this time (i.e. stuck or sticking injector). These injectors are pretty reliable.

You can also listen around the engine bay for some hissing sounds to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks don't cause a CEL unless it's so bad the engine practically dies.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I believe this is out of the warranty period, it has 89,xxx miles on it
Did you buy the car "as is?" The Ford warranty may be out, but many dealers have their own warranty for their used vehicles separate from the original Ford warranty. For instance, all used cars bought from a Chevy dealer where I got my first Fiesta had a one year warranty. The only way you wouldn't get their warranty is if the manufacture's warranty was still in effect for a longer duration.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts