Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just here to gather as much info as I can and get as much help as I can :) My girlfriend has a 2014 Fiesta 1.0 with about 85K on the odometer. About two months ago, she called me and told me her car wouldn't start. When I arrived the battery was dead, I jumped the battery with my truck and it would crank but not start. Checked the plugs and the were covered with coolant. Cleaned the plugs and the car turned over. I looked at the degas bottle and there was coolant above the min line. However, when I started the car I could hear water "wooshing" which to me told me coolant was low.

She had it towed to the dealership and it sat for a few days before they could look at it. They did a coolant pressure test, engine compression test, found the turbo to degas bottle connector was leaking, and said they found a cracked plug. Both pressure tests they said were fine and when I mentioned the coolant on the plugs I was told they started the car multiple times after replacing the coolant hose and didn't find an issue.

A few days later, I got a call the car wouldn't start again. Checked the plugs again, same issue. Did an engine compression test myself and all cylinders were about 135 psi. I cleaned the plugs and started the car, and let it warm up. After the temp indicator went to the middle bar I noticed white smoke from the tail pipe. I shut the car off and did another compression test and got about 60 psi on all cylinders. Which I believe to be indicative of a blown head gasket.

My question is, reading through forums like this one and other like the Ecoboost nightmare FB group, it seems the common response to this issue is a long block replacement. Are HG replacements not something that can be done on these engines, or does Ford throw in replacements engines in because its easier/or for warranty problems?

Also, sourcing these 1.0 engines is surprisingly difficult. Are there any differences between a 2014 1.0 engine and a 2017 engine? Are there any differences between the Fiesta & Focus 1.0 engines? My girlfriend is driving my 2017 FiST for now, and I'd really like it back! lol

tl;dr
Is it possible to replace a HG on the 1.0? Can a 2015-2017 Fiesta 1.0 Fox engine fit in my girlfriend's 2014? Can a X year Focus 1.0 Fox Engine fit in my girlfriend's 2014 Fiesta?

Sorry about the long read, and thank you for your help.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I can't comment on year/model compatibility, but from what I understand is the head warps and/or cracks easily if it's been overheated. So head replacement + labor costs generally exceed swapping everything with a used motor.

The internal timing belt does make the job a bit more complicated than most motors if replacing the head and gasket.

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
There are some minor differences with the 16 and newer motors. I do not have the specifics but folks who have had their motor replaced noted that the oil pan had to be replaced as well as a sensor/wiring in/to the head. I would research a bit more for you but don’t like to do so from my phone. If it were me I’d simply contact LKQ and get a used engine from them. Keep us posted

·
Registered
218 Posts
There are some minor differences with the 16 and newer motors. I do not have the specifics but folks who have had their motor replaced noted that the oil pan had to be replaced as well as a sensor/wiring in/to the head. I would research a bit more for you but don’t like to do so from my phone. If it were me I’d simply contact LKQ and get a used engine from them. Keep us posted
Newer engines have an additional temperature sensor in the head, and a low coolant level sensor (not sure where that is located). They also revised turbo models in Euro spec cars (downgraded the 125PS to the 100PS turbo) but not sure about North America.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wanted to update this thread for anyone who might find themselves in a similar situation. A 1.0 Motor out of a Focus will fit in a Fiesta. Transmission bolts up as does the CV axle half shaft carrier bearing. The new motor did have the extra coolant sensor in the head, but I left that unplugged. The only thing I had to use from the old engine was a bracket that goes on the water pump that holds the accessory belt drive cover on. This engine came with an oil pan, So I'm not sure about the differences between the 14 and 17 motors. I used the same harness that was in the car before.

The actual process of swapping the engine is pretty simple. I left the transmission in the car and just pulled the motor itself. Bought a new clutch, pressure plate, and slave cylinder to replace while the motor was out. I left the A/C compressor in the engine bay suspended from a ratchet strap. I also replace all the coolant hoses. Getting the engine mated back together with the transmission was kind of a pain. After struggling with it for an hour, I made some studs using some all-thread . I threaded them in so they stuck out of the transmission about an inch or so, which made lining up the engine much easier. Once they were together, I removed the thread and installed the correct bolt one by one.

Engine has been in for a few days and is running fine. Haven't seen coolant temps go above 205 with the new motor even on 30 min of stop and go traffic with the A/C on in 95 degree Fahrenheit weather. My only concern is, ever so often coolant bubbles out of the turbo return line to the degas bottle and I don't think the electric water pump is on when this is happening.

I looked up a video on YouTube regarding this issue and the consensus is that its fairly normal. Don't remember the car doing this before, but I never really drove this fiesta that much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It sounds like you are going "all in" on keeping that 1.0 going! I do think that it is rather short sighted to ignore the addition of the second temp sensor. These engines have a well deserved reputation as hotheads and a history of sudden coolant loss. I would be fabricating new coolant lines and heat resistant connectors as well as sourcing an aluminum degass coolant bottle, replacement of the stock radiator with a thicker one. I might even consider adding a racing type engine oil cooler (to segregate the oil and coolant areas) as well as cutting the hood to add some functional vents. It sounds extreme. But the issues encountered are very extreme and costly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The extra sensor and subsequent harness it would require, along with the PCM flash so it knows to look for it might be something I'll do in the future. However, for right now in an effort to get my FiST back after lending it out for 3 months I'm going to leave it unplugged. I have the mishimoto coolant reservoir now for both fiestas.

Also, I've been driving the car for the last week and it hasn't had any bubbling in the reservoir since the first day so I'm assuming it was more than likely still bleeding some air out of the system. The car has been great, even with the 98 degree ambient temps we've had coolant hasn't gone over 205 degrees. The car is also back to getting 41 plus MPG average.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts