Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
BRGT - Thanks for that vid. Re the blow-off valve whistle - for your next video, how about a demonstration so we can hear what you are talking about?

Wind/road/tire noise seems reasonable for this class of car, certainly far from luxo-hushed but no worse than say an FR-S. No evident engine or exhaust drone at steady throttle which is great, nothing gets more tiring.

It's pretty obvious from the camera shake that the suspension is set very much to the firm side - hope it's not a kidney-crusher. If you have driven say an Integra GS or a Corolla XRS how would it compare?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bryan

thanks for the update with your impressions now that you have driven around back in the States.

Since you have gotten the chance to drive both the FiST and the FoST, I wonder if you have had a chance to see how the rear suspensions handle rough or broken pavement. I would assume that the FoST's independent rear suspension would do better than the FiST's twist beam. But since I am leaning toward the FiSt, I would be fine if it deals with rough pavement in corners, etc well.

Looking forward to your feedback. thanks

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BRGT - Thanks for that vid. Re the blow-off valve whistle - for your next video, how about a demonstration so we can hear what you are talking about?

Wind/road/tire noise seems reasonable for this class of car, certainly far from luxo-hushed but no worse than say an FR-S. No evident engine or exhaust drone at steady throttle which is great, nothing gets more tiring.

It's pretty obvious from the camera shake that the suspension is set very much to the firm side - hope it's not a kidney-crusher. If you have driven say an Integra GS or a Corolla XRS how would it compare?
Brandon and I are working on capturing the exhaust and blow-off valve sound. Going down the highway, windows up, and using an iPhone won't pick up the sound. We have some really good sound recording equipment that we will use. I hope to record that this weekend using the same route I used for my FRPP/Borla exhaust system sound clip. I think our next mission video (for fitness of all silly things) should have some good sounds from outside the car.

The ST is very quiet on the highway, much quieter than my 2011 with worn Yokohama tires and FRPP exhuast. Correct on the drone at highway speed, there just isn't any. I haven't driven a stock Fiesta since the European one back in 2009, so I am not sure how the ST compares to something that isn't heavily modded like my 2011.

The camera mount I am using for my iPhone isn't the best and shakes really bad. Even at idle in my Mustang, it bounces all over the place. The suspension is firm, there is no doubt about that, but I don't consider it too rough. I need to go back and drive my 2011 with the FRPP suspension and then jump into the ST as I think the ST is more stiff. The roads here in Michigan are also the worst in the country, so if it survives here, it will be fine anywhere on the planet. Well, the only roads worse would be ones that have been bombed by a B-52. I have been in an Integra GSR, but that was back in 2002. I don't remember too much about the ride in the car.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bryan

thanks for the update with your impressions now that you have driven around back in the States.

Since you have gotten the chance to drive both the FiST and the FoST, I wonder if you have had a chance to see how the rear suspensions handle rough or broken pavement. I would assume that the FoST's independent rear suspension would do better than the FiST's twist beam. But since I am leaning toward the FiSt, I would be fine if it deals with rough pavement in corners, etc well.

Looking forward to your feedback. thanks
Good question, and I would really need to drive both back-to-back on the same day to really compare. The Focus ST that I have been planning on using for a demo was in an accident, so I am waiting on that to be fixed. The Focus ST does seem to do better on broken up pavement as far as ride quality, but I want to drive both on the same section of road to verify. The last Focus ST I drove was in March and it was really icy that day, so I did not push it. Summer tires and ice don't play well together.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nice and thanks :) The ride looks about normal for a short wheelbase car on northernish roads, it looks and sounds quieter than my FRS with the DZll's on it !!! Can't wait for the next vid and Can not wait for Ford to build and send me mine !!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Brandon and I are working on capturing the exhaust and blow-off valve sound. Going down the highway, windows up, and using an iPhone won't pick up the sound. We have some really good sound recording equipment that we will use. I hope to record that this weekend using the same route I used for my FRPP/Borla exhaust system sound clip. I think our next mission video (for fitness of all silly things) should have some good sounds from outside the car.
Great to hear - can you be sure to do a WOT run to redline with internal high-fidelity recording running so we can really hear what the sound symposer (or whatever Ford calls their version) sounds like. P.S. What is the redline? I imagine it's relatively low with the turbo - around 6K?

Re the suspension - unfortunately without having a common referent it's almost impossible to communicate levels of harshness to others as we all have different internal scales. What's firm but livable in a dd for you might be far too harsh for someone else. Hopefully at some point somebody who has driven a range of cars will be able to offer some comparisons.

Looking forward to your answer to nxGuy's excellent question - that solid-beam axle setup on the Mustang has always been criticized for being unstable at the rear when cornering on rough pavement, and it seems like the FiST has the same configuration.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My 2011 Mustang GT had a live solid rear axel and on a uneven pavement like a large gap on a hiway off ramp it would unsettle the car compared to the same off ramp in my 2012 Challenger with IRS so it is noticeable tween those two cars I owned. Also the Firsta has a twist beam with no power being applied to the wheels so it might be less likely to be as upsetting .. I'll know better once ford gets me my car lol ;)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dunlap Starspec DZ 2's quite a bit stickier than the all season bridgestones it came with on the car :)
You and eRic might need to get some Jet Fighter G-Suits to deal with all the extra forces your body will see once you add ultra sticky tires on the ST! I was impressed with the Potenza's on the track, but a set of Starspec or R-compounds would be insane on the car. I can't wait for you guys to get your cars and start pushing them.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great to hear - can you be sure to do a WOT run to redline with internal high-fidelity recording running so we can really hear what the sound symposer (or whatever Ford calls their version) sounds like. P.S. What is the redline? I imagine it's relatively low with the turbo - around 6K?

Re the suspension - unfortunately without having a common referent it's almost impossible to communicate levels of harshness to others as we all have different internal scales. What's firm but livable in a dd for you might be far too harsh for someone else. Hopefully at some point somebody who has driven a range of cars will be able to offer some comparisons.

Looking forward to your answer to nxGuy's excellent question - that solid-beam axle setup on the Mustang has always been criticized for being unstable at the rear when cornering on rough pavement, and it seems like the FiST has the same configuration.
Here is a video using my iPhone and the same mount in my 2011 Fiesta with FRPP suspension and exhaust to get an idea of the sound and how much shaking there is with the mount.

Yes, I will do WOT acceleration with the recorder on the inside so you can hear it. The Fiesta ST doesn't have a symposer like the Focus ST, instead it actually has a tube connected from the air box to the firewall to transmit the intake sound.

The Mustang does suffer on broken pavement, but it the rear axle is also providing forward motion. The rear axle on the Fiesta is just going along for the ride. It isn't exactly the same, but no suspension of any design likes uneven road surfaces.

Suspension ride quality is hard for me to compare since I think my Mustang with spring rates 4x what the factory installed is pretty good with the right dampers. I prefer the least amount of roll, pitch, and dive as possible. I am also used to riding in and driving highly modified Mustangs over the past 20 some years. I get into a normal car and hate it. The ST suspension isn't harsh, it is stiff, which is what you want in a performance car. If it is too soft, the weight shifts and you lose traction. Also, if the car isolates the driver from the feel of the road, you can't figure out what the car is doing at the limit. The suspension of the ST does a good job of being stiff and transmitting feedback to the driver without being harsh. Rare to find a car that can do that well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Glad to hear about the sound tube as the BRZ uses it to good effect (although the engine note on that car is a little crude for my taste). And thanks for relating your driving history to help put your comments in perspective.

One note on suspension stiffness: some tuners seem to think that stiffer always = better, but in terms of maxing out your lap times that is certainly not the case - a suspension set up too stiffly will result in the wheels losing grip in sharp transitions and over rough/uneven surfaces. Porsches are well known for having relatively soft track setups in order to keep all that outbound mass on the road...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
You and eRic might need to get some Jet Fighter G-Suits to deal with all the extra forces your body will see once you add ultra sticky tires on the ST! I was impressed with the Potenza's on the track, but a set of Starspec or R-compounds would be insane on the car. I can't wait for you guys to get your cars and start pushing them.
good thing I bought a second CG-Lock to hold passengers in place ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
To BRGT or anyone else who's driven one - how is the torque steer on the new FiST when you jab the throttle mid-corner or from a standing start? Nobody's talked about that FWD bugaboo yet. (I was reminded of this today driving the FiST 09 GTR2 mod on the Le Mans track - punch the gas at the apex and the wheel jerks in your hand.)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To BRGT or anyone else who's driven one - how is the torque steer on the new FiST when you jab the throttle mid-corner or from a standing start? Nobody's talked about that FWD bugaboo yet. (I was reminded of this today driving the FiST 09 GTR2 mod on the Le Mans track - punch the gas at the apex and the wheel jerks in your hand.)
The computer makes adjustments with the steering and brakes to help control torque steer. There is a little of it present, but nothing that draws away from the driving. I have driven the car pretty hard on the street and track and have not noticed the torque steer as being excessive or scary. I had hoped that training would talk more about how the eDiff and torque vectoring works, but I don't think many in the room would have understood what that is enough to be able to know how it works. Brandon and I will be doing a video later about how those systems work, after we research them. Sadly, most of our attention has to be on the required missions and it is reducing out ability to work on good technical content about the car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The computer makes adjustments with the steering and brakes to help control torque steer. There is a little of it present, but nothing that draws away from the driving. I have driven the car pretty hard on the street and track and have not noticed the torque steer as being excessive or scary. I had hoped that training would talk more about how the eDiff and torque vectoring works, but I don't think many in the room would have understood what that is enough to be able to know how it works. Brandon and I will be doing a video later about how those systems work, after we research them. Sadly, most of our attention has to be on the required missions and it is reducing out ability to work on good technical content about the car.
Lmao no offensr but these fiesta movt missions sound lame. Does ford really think they'll appeal to millenials?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk2

1 - 20 of 176 Posts