Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

There is a lot more footage coming over the next few weeks, but here is a POV helmet camera from Brandon running the ST at GingerMan Raceway. Sorry for the wind noise, but it drowns out the exhaust note at 100mph on the straights. So far, our record lap is 2:01:5 with the extension. For those playing at home, the extended track adds about 10 seconds to the short track version. My ZX3 on BFG R1 tires ran a 1:47 and my Mustang runs a 1:50 on street tires on the shorter circuit. The stock ST on street tires is only a few seconds slower than my old Focus was on race tires. We are convinced there is more time out there on the track and are sure we can break below the 2:00 mark, putting it very close to my personal lap record. Brandon ran about a second and a half faster than I did on the track. All of our sessions were full of traffic, so it was hard to get consistent lap times during the sessions. Remember to check out Bryan & Brandon Redeker | Fiesta Movement by Ford.com for pictures and more from running the ST on track.

Adjusted lap times
2000 Focus ZX3, modified, BFG R1 tires: 1:57
2003 SVT Focus, modified, street tires: 1:59
1984 Mustang, modified, Kuhmo street tires: 2:00
2014 Fiesta ST, stock, street tires: 2:01 (in traffic)

I have also seen stock C6 Corvette times posted online that show a 2:00 lap time with the extended track.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Nice .. It's on my tracks to make next yr .. Would do it this yr but its on a conflicting weekend ... Question how much time would you guess the gas pedal was to the floor and could you feel the difference between being in overboost and not .. I know it's a tightish track so no loooong 20 sec straights but I'm curious if the seat dyno could feel the diff between normal acceleration and mashed .

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice .. It's on my tracks to make next yr .. Would do it this yr but its on a conflicting weekend ... Question how much time would you guess the gas pedal was to the floor and could you feel the difference between being in overboost and not .. I know it's a tightish track so no loooong 20 sec straights but I'm curious if the seat dyno could feel the diff between normal acceleration and mashed .
Not really sure on how much time was spent WOT, besides on the straights. My Fiesta was WOT all the way around until it was black flagged for going to slow. We also got put in a group of really fast cars that my Fiesta had no business being on track with. As for overboost, we never ran out of boost or felt it being reduced. To run out of overboost, you would need to be pegged in 6th for more than 20 seconds. I don't think there is a road course with a long enough straight to run out of boost in 6th. We only got into 4th on the front and back straights. The section between 3-4-5 was almost ready for a shift into 4th, but we just ran out the engine in 3rd since the braking zone was right where the tach ended. Without DAQ, it is hard to get all the data from the car as to how often and to what percent the brake and gas were depressed. When on track with a lot of traffic, including cars running 20 seconds faster than the rest of the field, there is just too much to concentrate on to remember those types of things. If there is anything the car could use, would be more brake cooling and the removal of the dust shields on the brakes to aid in cooling. There isn't a lot of time between brake zones at GingerMan to let them cool. They still did outstanding, but could be better with a little extra cool air. We also should have dumped the air pressure and determine what the hot pressure should have been. We left the pressures as the factory sets them and just ran the car as is. That is why towards the second half of the session, the tires were getting overheated and slippery. They were over inflated due to heat. To get a really good set of laps, the pressures should have been adjusted as such.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Understand, if this was said from the get go I wouldn't have kept asking (Steeda ran their Focus ST in the 1/4, that is what why I wanted to see the Fiesta), I can also read road course times in a magazine as well and one agent was going to try and run it in the 1/8 if he had time. I didn't realize there were structured schedules as well didn't know autocrossing and open track didn't put a shock on components (WOT all the way around). I am not an idiot, the comparisons to various Mustangs all the time isn't necessary,(especially that Cobra Jet reference, I can't go down to my local Ford dealer and just pick one off the lot). Don't know why my post (even links), always seem to produce a pissy response from you, being an agent and ambassador to the Ford product line,(as I try to be with obtaining X plan pin#'s), some may have request or comments that even though you may not like, with all the other agents let them field it if you feel your professionalism and objectivity may come into question. Thanks again for taking an innocent request that I have asked numerous times, and blowing it up to this when the first time it was brought up it could have been addressed or just flat out said no instaed of letting it string along.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks for the feedback I was think the car might need a Lil brake cooling after reading how some FoST had hot rotors after track days and some even cooked the fluid some and we'll as toasted some soft rubber parts .. I agree on the long straight and didn't think about needing 6th gear as you would hit redline before 20 seconds ..duh on my part .. Thanks for the vids it makes the wait a bit easier while they collect the parts and paint to build my ST this month yet I hope :)

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Understand, if this was said from the get go I wouldn't have kept asking (Steeda ran their Focus ST in the 1/4, that is what why I wanted to see the Fiesta), I can also read road course times in a magazine as well and one agent was going to try and run it in the 1/8 if he had time. I didn't realize there were structured schedules as well didn't know autocrossing and open track didn't put a shock on components (WOT all the way around). I am not an idiot, the comparisons to various Mustangs all the time isn't necessary,(especially that Cobra Jet reference, I can't go down to my local Ford dealer and just pick one off the lot). Don't know why my post (even links), always seem to produce a pissy response from you, being an agent and ambassador to the Ford product line,(as I try to be with obtaining X plan pin#'s), some may have request or comments that even though you may not like, with all the other agents let them field it if you feel your professionalism and objectivity may come into question. Thanks again for taking an innocent request that I have asked numerous times, and blowing it up to this when the first time it was brought up it could have been addressed or just flat out said no instaed of letting it string along.
I am not being pissy, just saying that with a tight schedule, I am not planning on doing any drag racing with the car. The nearest drag strip is about an hour and a half away. We have to cover the cost for running the car to gather data that will soon be published. I also don't enjoy taking a car to a drag strip. I don't shift as hard nor launch the car hard enough to produce good enough times. I am very inconsistent with drag times. If I am going to spend an evening to drive out to a track and spend the money to do it, I want to make sure it is something I want to do and something that will produce decent times and content.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
We understand it may not be what YOU want to do, but I thought as an agent we could make request and /or ask to have reported on something?? You have to cover the cost of running the car, ( tell me how much, I will send a check to help support the effort), and I see post where the car was run 30+ times even allowing a VW driver a lap or two, who is covering the cost for all the road course runs, isn't there enough data on that already??? I am sure on a road course you are not "Granny shfting" the car. It isn't about you. Who cares if you are incosistent in 1/4 drag times??? Would like a video of it to add to what the Fiesta under the Movememnt has done!! Now, if all these road courses and other event are 5 minutes away then I apologize and understand about the track distance(though I travel 7 hours to run, and drive back home-no trailer). I have talked to a NASCAR driver who told me the biggest stresses on the car is when they go to a road course, after hearing of 30 runs on a course, how in the heck is one 1/4 of a mile pass is going to put undue stress on components?? Come on, the ST is to good to make excuses for like that, nobody is asking for a clutch dump at 5000 rpms, at least you are only upshifting, don't have to worry about downshifts into the rev limiter,(if you haven''t done that then you ain't driving), frying brake pads, eating tires , overheating and the other things that come with that type of driving. YOU don't want to do it, we get it, just don't try and sell how much harder on the car one pass will be, the car deserves more than that, and this is NOT a speciality vehicle like the Cobra Jet, the ST was not designed by Ford to just park in a shed, and drive to autocross events, it will be a daily DD, instead of at a stop light in traffic, in a closed course environment, just would like to see the variety of hauling a** down the track!! Not sure, but don't think Ford brass and engineers wouldn't be happy hearing someone say in a forum the car can't/isn't made to do something because of the stress it wasn't designed to handle, as always, my hunble opinion, which is just that, an opinion that may not fit nicely in a mold but there it is. Best of wishes to Brandon with his seat time and have a nice Fiesta day!!:eek:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only Brandon and I have ran the ST on a road course, but we did have others drive the car at the autocross course. The course was 20 minutes away and I covered the cost to run the car under my name. The other drivers paid the cost to run. Only 3 of us were entered in competition, the others ran during the fun run section, with only a few runs being timed. The GTi owner used to have a SVT Focus and his brother has a Focus ST. His input was important to establish a connection between a number of very popular autocross cars. I had another Focus ST owner drive the Fiesta for comparison, and another was a 2011 Fiesta owner. Each was picked to give feedback based on the car they currently drive or autocross in.

As for shifting, I tend to granny shift, even on the race track. I don't need to get FTD or drive the car at 10/10 to enjoy the car. I would rather drive it at 8/10 of my ability and 7/10 of the cars ability and drive the car home. It isn't worth pushing the car and having something go wrong. So far, I have never had to leave the track on a wrecker. I did leave an autocross on the hook with my Mustang when I had a X2 balljoint fail after the first couple of turns. I have seen too many people leave the track with twisted metal or broken parts. I will run slower and well within my limits to protect the car and myself. The ST is vastly more capable than I am going to push it given my ability.

The nearest drag strip is roughly 1.5 hours away, that is a 3 hour round trip. Our schedules are packed right now with mission content, editing track/autocross content, developing some MFT content, car shows, and spending time with our family. I just can't justify the investment in time to get a quarter mile time that will be published in almost every single car magazine. There are also 19 other agents with ST's, perhaps one of them is closer to a drag strip and has more time. I do appreciate your offer to pay for the cost for entering a test and tune night, but it just isn't something we have time for right now. With 19 other agents, I am sure one of them will be able to help get the time slips you are looking for. As an agent, I am not required to do anything that are requests from others. I offer my services to help potential customers and enthusiasts. If it is something I can help with, I am more than happy to do it. If you had requested lap times from Laguna Seca, which is something I would love to do, I would have to pass since I don't have the time to accomplish the request. Thankfully there are 19 other agents, and I am sure they can help answer questions that I am unable to answer. If posting content on the FiestaFaction continues to be an issue, I simply won't post any further ST content.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts