Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 2012 Fiesta's steering wheel is crumbling to pieces and I'm planning on swapping it with a leather wrapped one I got for only $40. That one came off a 2014.

Does anyone know if the newer steering wheel controls would work in my car? My steering wheel controls have a different layout

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hello, my 2012 Fiesta's steering wheel is crumbling to pieces and I'm planning on swapping it with a leather wrapped one I got for only $40. That one came off a 2014.

Does anyone know if the newer steering wheel controls would work in my car? My steering wheel controls have a different layout

The steering wheels and their mounting is exactly the same through all years - I mean other than the obvious leather vs. Base model rubbery material.

The painted silver trim with the buttons on it is only attached with 2 or 3 tiny torx screws on the back. You can remove that and replace it with the one from your old wheel.

I swapped a 2015 ST steering wheel to my 2011 SES in the same way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steering wheels and their mounting is exactly the same through all years - I mean other than the obvious leather vs. Base model rubbery material.

The painted silver trim with the buttons on it is only attached with 2 or 3 tiny torx screws on the back. You can remove that and replace it with the one from your old wheel.

I swapped a 2015 ST steering wheel to my 2011 SES in the same way.

Thanks a lot. I opted for that route when replacing the steering wheel yesterday.
I swapped the bezel out of my steering wheel to the new one and worked like a charm. It was all said and done in about 30 min

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Thanks a lot. I opted for that route when replacing the steering wheel yesterday.
I swapped the bezel out of my steering wheel to the new one and worked like a charm. It was all said and done in about 30 min

Awesome, Bud! Glad to hear it went so smoothly for ya! Happy to help.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a leather wrapped wheel I need to throw into my 2015 S model eventually. How was the swap? Pretty straight forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a leather wrapped wheel I need to throw into my 2015 S model eventually. How was the swap? Pretty straight forward?

It's much easier than my 4th Gen Ram 1500. I fought with that one for about 1.5 hrs; my Fiesta only required 30 min all said and done.

1. Disconnect negative terminal from battery. Wait 10 minutes

2. Use a small allen key to pry off the springs holding the airbag to the steering wheel. There are three of them (one on each spoke)

3. The airbag will pop from the steering wheel. Carefully turn it over to disconnect the 3 cables holding it. Put the airbag away (I put it on the passenger seat)

4. Use a 24mm socket and wrench to remove the bolt holding the steering wheel.

5. Wiggle the steering wheel to get it loose from the steering column.

6. Remove the 2 connectors between the steering wheel and the clock spring.

7. Put some alignment marks on the clock spring. I took a sharpie and ran a straight line from the edge to the connectors. Once you remove the steering wheel they may move. Don't worry, the alignment marks will help you to re align everything before putting the new wheel back on.

8. Get the new wheel and place it on the steering column. Make sure the clock spring is aligned according to the marks you added. Re connect everything and you're all set. The airbag goes right in, just push firmly.

I took the steps from this video:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

OPTIONAL: You may want to keep your current bezel since the Fiesta S didn't come with Cruise Control. Once the steering wheel is removed, you can take the bezel off by removing a couple screws located on the back of the steering wheel (3 and 9 o clock positions), then pull the plastic bezel out by hand. The connector to the steering wheel controls will reveal. Just disconnect that one and you can remove the bezel.

Follow that order to get the bezel on the new steering wheel

·
Registered
263 Posts
OPTIONAL: You may want to keep your current bezel since the Fiesta S didn't come with Cruise Control. Once the steering wheel is removed, you can take the bezel off by removing a couple screws located on the back of the steering wheel (3 and 9 o clock positions), then pull the plastic bezel out by hand. The connector to the steering wheel controls will reveal. Just disconnect that one and you can remove the bezel.

Follow that order to get the bezel on the new steering wheel

It's much easier than my 4th Gen Ram 1500. I fought with that one for about 1.5 hrs; my Fiesta only required 30 min all said and done.

1. Disconnect negative terminal from battery. Wait 10 minutes

2. Use a small allen key to pry off the springs holding the airbag to the steering wheel. There are three of them (one on each spoke)

3. The airbag will pop from the steering wheel. Carefully turn it over to disconnect the 3 cables holding it. Put the airbag away (I put it on the passenger seat)

4. Use a 24mm socket and wrench to remove the bolt holding the steering wheel.

5. Wiggle the steering wheel to get it loose from the steering column.

6. Remove the 2 connectors between the steering wheel and the clock spring.

7. Put some alignment marks on the clock spring. I took a sharpie and ran a straight line from the edge to the connectors. Once you remove the steering wheel they may move. Don't worry, the alignment marks will help you to re align everything before putting the new wheel back on.

8. Get the new wheel and place it on the steering column. Make sure the clock spring is aligned according to the marks you added. Re connect everything and you're all set. The airbag goes right in, just push firmly.

I took the steps from this video:

Seems easy enough! And I think I can add cruise control to use the buttons on the new wheel! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts