Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just an FYI for all the Fiesta Ecoboost drivers.

I got a 2015 model that had a transmission issue. I have already taken it into service & repaired. Was wondering if anyone else had the same issue: Worn reverse idler gear & 1//2 syncro only locks in one direction.

Reverse and fifth gears are related internally to the trans and we got it to kick out of 5th gear. Most of my issue was with it popping out of reverse. Worn or bad gear.

New car 2015 1.0L:

Old car 2011 1.6L:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Mine hasn't popped out of gear, but reverse sure is noisy. Always has been since day one. Sounds like a pilot bearing, or throw out bearing is squealing, but it doesn't occur in any forward gears so it's not either of those two things. I'll have the dealer take a look at it since I'm about due for an oil change.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally reverse is really hard to get into gear, and it is very noisy but I think that is because the reverse gears aren't beveled cut and lack a synchronizer, they went cheap on reverse (my opinion, I have never looked it up). I've never had a issue with 5th though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Personally reverse is really hard to get into gear, and it is very noisy but I think that is because the reverse gears aren't beveled cut and lack a synchronizer, they went cheap on reverse (my opinion, I have never looked it up). I've never had a issue with 5th though.
I'm familiar with the whine straight cut reverse typically has in a standard. I have an additional sound, is more of a deep low pitched bearing squeal, and only happens sometimes. The first day of ownership I figured it'd take a bit for things to seat in. For those who know what a bad throwout bearing sounds like, it's that exact sound.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm familiar with the whine straight cut reverse typically has in a standard. I have an additional sound, is more of a deep low pitched bearing squeal, and only happens sometimes. The first day of ownership I figured it'd take a bit for things to seat in. For those who know what a bad throwout bearing sounds like, it's that exact sound.
It wasn't a noise issue, it would pop out of reverse about 2 out of 5 times. Ford Service drove it and it popped out of 5th gear. Both reverse & 5th use the same. I think my issue & yours are different issues.

New car 2015 1.0L:

Old car 2011 1.6L:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2014 and it pops out of reverse if i'm on uneven terrain, but hasn't yet on hard surfaces. I have almost 25k miles on the 1.0l and another month to go till a yr. Only thing that has gone wrong is the paint on the hatch started to bubble up and peal. At the 10k mile service told ford they took pictures and was approved for repaint on the hatch.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had mine pop out of reverse a few times, and not totally go into other gears, and then slip out when i release the clutch. I have solved the issue by being more deliberate when shifting it into gear. The worn out Civic I replaced with the Fiesta took no effort to shift and I think the issue with mine is just getting use to this gearbox.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have had mine pop out of reverse a few times, and not totally go into other gears, and then slip out when i release the clutch. I have solved the issue my being more deliberate when shifting it into gear. The worn out Civic I replaced with the Fiesta took no effort to shift and I think the issue with mine is just getting use to this gearbox.
Being more deliberate when shifting into gear may just mask the issue. I've also had a reverse pop out problem but when I shift into 3rd first, I haven't had a problem. Doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Just a temp resolve to a possible transmission issue. Seems like trans problems are showing up a bit more for this car. My 20k schedule is past due so I'll point this out when I take it in. Problem is, the Ford tech will put it into reverse a few times and then if there's no issue, he'll say "there's no problem". Then how do you answer? They don't want to check what they feel is not necessary. A trans issue can't be fun to work on this car. As always, it's Ford vs. Us with something like this.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have had mine pop out of reverse a few times, and not totally go into other gears, and then slip out when i release the clutch. I have solved the issue my being more deliberate when shifting it into gear. The worn out Civic I replaced with the Fiesta took no effort to shift and I think the issue with mine is just getting use to this gearbox.
If the popping returns and you decide to head to your dealer to get this checked out, please let me know, along with your updated mileage.

I have a 2014 and it pops out of reverse if i'm on uneven terrain, but hasn't yet on hard surfaces. I have almost 25k miles on the 1.0l and another month to go till a yr. Only thing that has gone wrong is the paint on the hatch started to bubble up and peal. At the 10k mile service told ford they took pictures and was approved for repaint on the hatch.
Hi ViciousMudPuppy,

How long has it been popping? I want to loop in your customer service manager on this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, updated mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I haven't talked to them yet, i haven't even been in for my first service yet. Car is a 2015 with a little less than 4k miles
Thanks for following-up!

Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location, and I'll check out some additional assistance.

Meagan

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to chime in -- I've got the same issue, it is intermittent though. Going to take it in eventually.
Yes, mine was intermingling as well. But I knew it wasn't suppose to happen at all. It will get worse the more you wait to have it fixed. Seems to be a bad part issue on the line. Many cars affected by this issue.

New 2015 1.0L Fiesta:

Old 2011 1.6L Fiesta:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks to Meagan's help I was contacted by Ford Service and my dealer. I dropped off my car last night to see if they can get the issue to happen. On another note... they have a green SFE with a sunroof and convenience package. My husband wants it. When we took it for a test drive 2nd gear ground every time, whether up or downshifting. And when we got back to the dealer there was a very strong burning smell that was not the normal cat smell :( We pulled it straight into service. My husband was ready to buy that car last night too. Now he is nervous about all of the trannies in the 1.0

1 - 20 of 61 Posts