Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! I'm new as a user here but have been reading threads for most of the year before my wife and I bought our first new Ford ever during the Labor Day sales. We were originally considering an S-trim manual but did the cost-benefit analysis on the 1.0L Ecoboost's higher fuel economy for my wife's long commute and eventually chose it. We've had it since 25 miles on the odometer and it currently has around 900, and she loves it so far, but since day one it's been exhibiting an unnatural noise when first put into reverse.

The scenario is as follows: on the first start of each day when my wife leaves, with the clutch fully depressed and the transmission shifted into reverse, a loud and unhealthy "BBBZZZZzzzzzzz" like a stripped worm gear occurs for about 1 second just as you start to take your foot off the clutch to begin reversing. It's so loud I can hear it from 15 yards away all the way up our drive. This issue never reoccurs once the car has been driven; only after sitting overnight, so far. I was able to video this occurring this morning -- the noise is at 11 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpT8AlRfVWY

I read through the very helpful thread which user joel27nc started and saw that FordService responded quickly about potential issues, so I'm hoping the same will happen here. Possibilities in that thread included a bad pilot bearing, bad throw out bearing, or a bad reverse idler gear in the trans. Any thoughts from those of you who might have experienced something similar?

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have made a thread about my transmission issues here:
http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums...0L-Transmission-Issues?highlight=Transmission
This may help you. It could also be the same issue. I see you have read it, I'm not sure you read the whole thread to get it resolved. It's possible it's a whole new thing.

New 2015 1.0L Fiesta:

Old 2011 1.6L Fiesta:

Thanks for the fast reply, Joel. I did read the whole thing, but from other users' posts wasn't able to tell if my issue was most similar to yours or was something else, which as you note is of course a possibility. If you (or someone else) get the chance to watch the 30 second clip I link to of it happening, does the noise in my video sound like reverse "popping out" as you and others put it?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Greetings everyone! I'm new as a user here but have been reading threads for most of the year before my wife and I bought our first new Ford ever during the Labor Day sales. We were originally considering an S-trim manual but did the cost-benefit analysis on the 1.0L Ecoboost's higher fuel economy for my wife's long commute and eventually chose it. We've had it since 25 miles on the odometer and it currently has around 900, and she loves it so far, but since day one it's been exhibiting an unnatural noise when first put into reverse.

The scenario is as follows: on the first start of each day when my wife leaves, with the clutch fully depressed and the transmission shifted into reverse, a loud and unhealthy "BBBZZZZzzzzzzz" like a stripped worm gear occurs for about 1 second just as you start to take your foot off the clutch to begin reversing. It's so loud I can hear it from 15 yards away all the way up our drive. This issue never reoccurs once the car has been driven; only after sitting overnight, so far. I was able to video this occurring this morning -- the noise is at 11 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpT8AlRfVWY

I read through the very helpful thread which user joel27nc started and saw that FordService responded quickly about potential issues, so I'm hoping the same will happen here. Possibilities in that thread included a bad pilot bearing, bad throw out bearing, or a bad reverse idler gear in the trans. Any thoughts from those of you who might have experienced something similar?
Welcome, twinfiesta! Happy to hear your wife's loving the Fiesta!

Please private message me your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check out some options.

Meagan

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
Sounds like the transmission is not fully engaged in the reverse gear. When you let out the clutch, the gears are clashing until they fully mesh. Try putting the tranny in 2nd gear first, then putting it in reverse and give the lever an extra pull back to fully engage reverse gear. Let us know if that works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Meagan, got your PM! And Joel, thanks for your fast reply! I did read through the whole thread (a couple of times), but wasn't sure once multiple users chimed in with their issues whether or not mine was the same as what you and others describe as the gear "popping out."

Fiesta_Hack, thanks for your assessment. Sounds like you listened to the video. I should stress how emphatically we put it into reverse only to have the issue still occur. But from reading through other contributions in threads (in line with your own), two mornings in a row now, we've masked the issue by either shifting into a forward gear first and then into reverse, or by firmly holding the shifter in reverse while beginning to engage the clutch. I don't feel as if either of those options should be necessary, though it certainly classifies this issue as "intermittent" and will probably make it hard to recreate at the dealership. More than a bit frustrating, as this is our first new car ever.

For laughs and catharsis, everyone should go listen to Dirtbag's techno remix of the non-bevel-cut gear whine in reverse.

·
Registered
354 Posts
There almost seems to be a double detent for reverse. If you push the stick away from you and then pull down you'll feel a notch which seems to be reverse, but it isn't. Pull the stick down just a little more and you'll feel a second click, which is reverse. Mine does the exact same thing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sounds like the transmission is not fully engaged in the reverse gear. When you let out the clutch, the gears are clashing until they fully mesh. Try putting the tranny in 2nd gear first, then putting it in reverse and give the lever an extra pull back to fully engage reverse gear. Let us know if that works.
Agreed. The car didn't move an inch and we heard the grinding loud and clear. It's definitely not engaged in reverse gear. Not the same issues I had. Mine popped out of reverse once in a while. When I took it to the dealership they tried like 30 times to recreate and couldn't. I watched the entire time. The more miles on my car, the less it happened and finally went away. I cannot recreate the popping out of reverse now period. Don't know if miles helped or not but for sure seems that way. NO other transmission issues at 25k.

This problem is different though. I'd shift into 3rd gear first and then reverse. But still probably just masking a potential problem. I'm sure Meagan will take care of them. Hope they report back to see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How far are you depressing the clutch pedal. It's like what Hack is saying you are not fully in gear. thi s has happened to me a few times. I found it was either from no depressing the clutch far enough ( even though it would go into gear) or not having it fully in revers even though I thought I did. Or a combination of both.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
There is no synchro on the reverse gear, so it will be a pain. I put mine in first, then back to reverse. It works 90% of the time. I'll also keep a bit of pressure on the shifter as I release the clutch, which catches 9 of the remaining 10%. 1% of the time, I still spin the teeth and look like a noob.

Sent from my iPhone using flares, semaphore and messenger goats.

·
Registered
57 Posts
keep a bit of pressure on the shifter as I release the clutch
I've been doing this for a while and seems to work great. Usually if I get the "grind" and have a chance to really think about it... was in a hurry and pulling the stick back just a hair before the clutch bottomed out. Making sure the clutch is at bottom and keeping the pressure as I let up on the clutch seems to make all grinds go away.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
After driving a number of IB5 Fiestas, the solution is really simple. Before going into reverse, go into 2nd gear first. From there, go into reverse and make sure the gear is fully engaged before releasing the clutch pedal. This problem came up with the European Fiesta's during the original Fiesta Movement. We had a group forum that allowed the agents to talk privately. I suggested the go into 2nd then R trick and it solved the problems. Give it a try!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it masked the problem, not solved it. If it had been solved your idea (which is a good one) would not be necessary.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the ideas and replies, everyone.

To your question, 1.0 : clutch was definitely all the way in when we video'd it happening, which is why it bothered me enough to ask here. At first I'd thought it was just a "honey are you absolutely sure you're pressing that clutch in all the way" problem, but then it kept happening.

To Neat Engine: glad to hear that after some break-in mileage your problem went away progressively (whether from user adjustment or what), which I'm hoping will be the case for us. Just to be clear, our Fiesta doesn't move an inch either when the noise happens, until we re-depress the clutch and then re-release it to begin moving backwards after the noise.

Thanks BRGT350 -- from yours and other replies, adopting the measure of shifting into a forward gear first and then into reverse seems to be the most pro-active solution. Even if this shouldn't be happening in the first place, I guess I'm OK with doing that to avoid potential damage.

I'll report back here after our dealership visit this coming Friday the 2nd.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Thanks for the ideas and replies, everyone.

To your question, 1.0 : clutch was definitely all the way in when we video'd it happening, which is why it bothered me enough to ask here. At first I'd thought it was just a "honey are you absolutely sure you're pressing that clutch in all the way" problem, but then it kept happening.

To Neat Engine: glad to hear that after some break-in mileage your problem went away progressively (whether from user adjustment or what), which I'm hoping will be the case for us. Just to be clear, our Fiesta doesn't move an inch either when the noise happens, until we re-depress the clutch and then re-release it to begin moving backwards after the noise.

Thanks BRGT350 -- from yours and other replies, adopting the measure of shifting into a forward gear first and then into reverse seems to be the most pro-active solution. Even if this shouldn't be happening in the first place, I guess I'm OK with doing that to avoid potential damage.

I'll report back here after our dealership visit this coming Friday the 2nd.
My dad taught me that trick when I was learning to drive a manual, and I haven't had a reverse gear grind ever since. I have been passenger in other cars when people go into reverse without going into second and it buzzes and grinds. 20 years of driving all sorts of cars with manual gearboxes, and no grinding with going into second and then reverse.

When I bought the used T5 for my Mustang, it would grind horribly in reverse, second, and third. I took out the gearbox and opened it up. The reverse gear was worn out and the metal floated around in the gearbox and ruined the rest of the transmission. I put in new gears, syncro's, fixed the damaged shift fork, and upgraded the blocker rings. I put it all back together and it hasn't made a bad noise ever since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm disappointed that I have to revive this thread, but over the course of 6 months of attempting to mask this issue by shifting into a forward gear before reverse, it has continued to grind sporadically and I'm pretty miffed about it.

Anyone else have new info to report on this? I was just going again through posts from the past year on this and other Fiesta forums about gear whine, bad throwout bearings, etc. When I ride passenger with my wife driving, I do notice an almost "cricket"ish whine especially in fifth gear.

Meagan, thanks for your helpfulness. I've PM'd you my information again. I'd love to get in touch ASAP to find the closest dealership to me that has dealt with something like this previously, or which is willing to deal with this case. The head technician at my local dealership's service department in Northampton, MA was completely unwilling to watch the clip of it happening which I'd recorded -- it was clear he had zero interest in having to puzzle this one out while still under warranty. It's finally warm enough to ride my motorcycle around, so I'm happy to leave the Fiesta for an extended period at anywhere willing to help. Feel free to call anytime -- it's the start of Spring break from teaching this semester.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Has it ever popped out of reverse without holding the shifter?

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
... and our '15 has 14k miles and it continues to get more difficult to get it into reverse using any technique. I will be taking it in first of summer when all the cars are back home.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts