Fiesta Faction banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had my 2016 Fiesta SFE since November and this has happened a few times. I even had it pop out of reverse once. I do hope this is not a degenerative condition but I have also begun holding the shifter in reverse so to prevent it from happening.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I'm disappointed that I have to revive this thread, but over the course of 6 months of attempting to mask this issue by shifting into a forward gear before reverse, it has continued to grind sporadically and I'm pretty miffed about it.

Anyone else have new info to report on this? I was just going again through posts from the past year on this and other Fiesta forums about gear whine, bad throwout bearings, etc. When I ride passenger with my wife driving, I do notice an almost "cricket"ish whine especially in fifth gear.

Meagan, thanks for your helpfulness. I've PM'd you my information again. I'd love to get in touch ASAP to find the closest dealership to me that has dealt with something like this previously, or which is willing to deal with this case. The head technician at my local dealership's service department in Northampton, MA was completely unwilling to watch the clip of it happening which I'd recorded -- it was clear he had zero interest in having to puzzle this one out while still under warranty. It's finally warm enough to ride my motorcycle around, so I'm happy to leave the Fiesta for an extended period at anywhere willing to help. Feel free to call anytime -- it's the start of Spring break from teaching this semester.
Thanks, I see your message. :)

... and our '15 has 14k miles and it continues to get more difficult to get it into reverse using any technique. I will be taking it in first of summer when all the cars are back home.
Let me know when you do, and I'll be happy to look into this.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

I am pretty new to the FF, just a week ago bought 2014 fiesta SFE with 19,000 km.

And now I am worried, since I have to say that when I park on the hill, using the reverse it makes identical sound...

So what is the consensus is that because of the design of the gearbox, or there is something wrong with it from the factory?

Maegan, I understand that you represent Ford USA, while I am in BC Canada, but could I also get in touch with somebody in order to check-out my car as well??

Thank You guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thank you, Meagan. Waiting to be contacted.

Dirtbag: yes, it's much as Fiesta_Hack describes -- it "continues to get more difficult to get into reverse using any technique."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Been a few years, but I wanted to update this thread for the sake of other users since I just changed the manual transmission fluid. I made sure to use the correct Ford gear oil -- this stuff almost smelled alcoholic, Motorcraft XTM5QS (XT-M5-QS WSD-M2C200-C), from Rockauto was by far the best price.

At 79k and as the picture attached shows it was quite brackish, laden with fine metallic particles. You'd think Ford could've spent a few more pennies for a drain plug for the IB5 transmission! Had to remove/drain from and retorque the "selector shaft interlock mechanism" as per forum advice elsewhere (Transmission oil change IB5). Given how our Fiesta has been popping out of reverse since brand new, one really interesting comment from the knowledgeable poster there providing the Ford service procedure for it was this: "One point if you are doing this job and don’t have torque wrench, do not over tighten drain bolt. It can make 5th and reverse difficult to engage and this is not mentioned in any manual."

Unfortunately even torqued to spec, the popout and grind in reverse problem persists as intermittently as before. As my uncle who's an engineer at Ford in powertrain put it when I asked him about the filthiness of the changed fluid, "You have to wonder where the impurities came from. From wear on the gears themselves? Our outside contamination?"

Our local dealership here in Massachusetts is a joke -- I've never met a more unhelpful, indifferent service department when it came to trying to get this issue addressed under warranty. Since we bought the car in New Hampshire and not here, it was clear they didn't care. After they weren't able to replicate the issue, I literally took video every morning of my wife putting the car in reverse for her morning commute every morning for a week or 'til we caught it on video, which I burned to a CD and brought to the dealer. No interest whatsoever in looking at it. We dropped it off several more times (this was all while still within warranty), and the one time they actually had a technician replicate, they said it must have been a fluke, and pursued it no further. Atrocious customer service.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts