Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to buying a 2017 Fiesta SE with the 1.0 EcoBoost Engine. I'm not a horsepower person but I like smaller cars that handle great. What would be the recommendations to mod the suspension of this SE to match or surpass the handling of the ST? I know I wouldn't get the ST engine software changes etc., but want this car to be nimble and tossable.

What would be the recommendation? I can go for coilovers but I want a 'street' ride that is not too rough for everyday driving. What do you think? All wisdom welcome!

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This might be the biggest community, but it's generally slow to respond. Unfortunately I do not have an answer for you in regards to the 2017 suspension.

·
Registered
654 Posts
One often-recommended update is the Ford Handling Pack. It's essentially the European suspension, a little lower and better tuned for sportier driving. It's also quite reasonably priced at $250-300, not including installation. For those that have made the change, it's generally considered a solid bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
The Ford handling pack is a great option. If you are looking for something even a little tighter than that - be on the lookout for someone doing an upgrade on their Fiesta ST and see if you can buy their stock springs, shocks/ struts. It's a straight bolt-on.

I've been running the ST suspension on my 2011 SES for almost 3 years now. Great setup. Might be going a little lower with the Mountune sport springs soon though.

Also - rear sway bar. Eibach makes a bolt on rear sway for the Fiesta - fits both ST and non-ST. Other companies have a bar that sits in the U-beam but requires you to drill holes to mount. No drilling with the Eibach. Worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Also - rear sway bar. Eibach makes a bolt on rear sway for the Fiesta - fits both ST and non-ST. Other companies have a bar that sits in the U-beam but requires you to drill holes to mount. No drilling with the Eibach. Worth it.

The twist beam already has holes in it from the factory - no drilling required. Depending on the version you have there are multiple torsion bar options available. I have the Corksport one for the Mazda 2 (which uses the Fiesta twist beam). It was about $100 and a definite improvement. It took me under 10 minutes to fit. You just need a torque wrench to ensure its mounted correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry I didn't respond sooner -- I was expecting an email notification.
This is a great start with several options. Re: the Mountune sport springs -- what shocks would you match those with and would the ride be tight but not harsh on the street? Sounds like the rear sway bar is a definite.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll look into the Ford Handling Pack and look on an ST forum for someone trading out their stock setup. Sounds like a great way to save some $.

John

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wasn't sure on the fitment of the FRRP kit to a 2017. I did it on my 2011. It was a huge improvement. I can hit the local roundabouts at 30mph without thinking about it. (when the weather is dry).

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've messed with VWs and Subarus over the years, and knowing what I know now, and being in my mid-50s, living in a state that's often quite pothole-ridden, I'd do as you've concluded, a FRRP kit or take-off ST setup with a rear bar, and call it a day. Given the funding, I'd have done it already. It's a great upgrade over stock, but not harsh, and doesn't slam the car so low that bad roads would have you worried about bottoming or leaving bits and pieces behind on bad roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys. Great survey of the subject and it gives me a good idea of the options.
Looks like it's going to have to be a 2017 Fiesta as Ford just announced (via Left Lane News) that 2018 isn't coming here.

John

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Ford handling pack is a great option. If you are looking for something even a little tighter than that - be on the lookout for someone doing an upgrade on their Fiesta ST and see if you can buy their stock springs, shocks/ struts. It's a straight bolt-on.

I've been running the ST suspension on my 2011 SES for almost 3 years now. Great setup. Might be going a little lower with the Mountune sport springs soon though.

Is ST stock springs lower than SE? And how much inch?

·
Registered
20 Posts
SE springs are the tallest, then the Ford Handling pack, then ST stock springs, then any ST lowering springs would be the lowest.

At lease in the US, we only got the mk7 and mk7.5 Fiestas, which share the same chassis. Anything should be able to be installed on any Fiesta.

I have been running the Ford handling pack for about a year and I love it. I had driven an ST in the past and it was a bit too harsh for me as a daily driver, so the Ford handling pack was the perfect middle ground.

·
Registered
47 Posts
SE springs are the tallest, then the Ford Handling pack, then ST stock springs, then any ST lowering springs would be the lowest.

At lease in the US, we only got the mk7 and mk7.5 Fiestas, which share the same chassis. Anything should be able to be installed on any Fiesta.

I have been running the Ford handling pack for about a year and I love it. I had driven an ST in the past and it was a bit too harsh for me as a daily driver, so the Ford handling pack was the perfect middle ground.
I have to agree. I’ve been running the Ford Performance suspension for about 50,000 miles now and it’s really nice. Lowered the car about an inch and centers the 17” wheel and tire perfectly in the wheel wells.

2014 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback
Cold Air Intake
OBX Header with high-flo cat, resonator, and DC Sports muffler and 2.5” exhaust
N2MB Two Step
FRPP Suspension
17” Focal with 205/45s
3M Dark Smoke Vinyl Wrapped Lights

1 - 13 of 13 Posts