Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 60 miles of driving, the multifunction display shows 38.5mpg average, though that probably includes some moving around the lot of the dealer before delivery (it was showing something like 15mpg average before today's driving). Most of the driving was highway; the multifunction display showed an average speed in the low 40s mph.

This is an SE hatchback manual with EPA ratings of 28mpg city, 37mpg highway.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
After about 60 miles of driving, the multifunction display shows 38.5mpg average, though that probably includes some moving around the lot of the dealer before delivery (it was showing something like 15mpg average before today's driving). Most of the driving was highway; the multifunction display showed an average speed in the low 40s mph.

This is an SE hatchback manual with EPA ratings of 28mpg city, 37mpg highway.
Mine said 37.4 and when I filled up got 37.0. If I had put in a few more or less ounces it would have changed my calculation. I think the computer is very accurate. A/C working hard and lots of differernt types of driving.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The trick of high MPG driving on the freeway is: keep your throttle as even as possible. No sudden bursts or letting it go and picking it up again. (btw, that's how Belgians drive: fast-slow-fast-slow... gives bad gas milage)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Aren't you in Minn? How do the seat heaters work?
Yes I am, but I'm in southern Minnesota. I had 100 degrees on the themometer in a parking lot. I'll let you know when it's -25! I did turn the passager seat on for a minute, couldn't really tell much.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another day of similar (mostly highway) driving, and the computer shows 39.8mpg average.

But it will probably go down on saturday, since the expected saturday driving is more like city driving.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
my Fiesta AVG MPG is 30.4 mpg

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The multifunction display is back down to 38.9mpg after some city (suburban) driving.

·
Registered
949 Posts
EPA ratings of 29 mpg city, 40 mpg highway are, frankly, lousy for a small car. The actual mileage will be lower. This guzzler is no substitute for the Insight or Civic hybrids from Honda. Even our 2006 Fit Sport (manual transmission) has gotten over 30 mpg for the life of the car -- getting 42 mpg highway in real life driving. Our 2001 Honda Insight has gotten 45.5 mpg for its life and 60 to 80 mpg highway depending on conditions. So let's not pretend that the Ford Fiesta gets good mileage. It's mediocre at best for a small car.
2011 Ford Fiesta user ratings and Sedan user reviews and reviews (Page 2) - CNET Reviews
(another Honda fanboy who wrote a review without (f)actual data, bringing down the average user review score)

Someone care to write a review how good the milage actually is?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2011 Ford Fiesta user ratings and Sedan user reviews and reviews (Page 2) - CNET Reviews
(another Honda fanboy who wrote a review without (f)actual data, bringing down the average user review score)

Someone care to write a review how good the milage actually is?
Sounds like that reviewer is making the common mistake of comparing EPA numbers to his/her actual numbers. Also, the Honda Fit was not available in the US until the 2007 model year.

Actually, I wonder how the reviewer in question got only 45.5mpg in a first generation Honda Insight. EPA numbers for that car are 48/60 (61/68 before 2008 adjustment) for the manual version, 45/49 (57/56 before the 2008 adjustment) for the automatic version.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I drove from Northwest Missouri across Iowa to Northwest Illinois today and got 41mpg!!! The AC was on all the way. I used the cruise control almost the whole way, too. I was so excited when the numbers went to 40 that I let out a yelp and scared my dog! :eek:

I've got just a bit over 1,000 miles on the car now. I love, love, love it!

Since we're seeing some high mpg numbers from cars without the SFE package, I wonder what kind of mileage a car with that package will get.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I drove from Northwest Missouri across Iowa to Northwest Illinois today and got 41mpg!!! The AC was on all the way. I used the cruise control almost the whole way, too. I was so excited when the numbers went to 40 that I let out a yelp and scared my dog!
How fast was your highway speed, what was the average speed (from the multifunction display), and what fuel economy relevant options does your car have (i.e. manual / automatic transmission, wheels (15" steel, 15" aluminum, 16" aluminum), SFE or not, hatchback / sedan, etc.)?

Since we're seeing some high mpg numbers from cars without the SFE package, I wonder what kind of mileage a car with that package will get.
The larger diameter tires will effectively raise the gearing a bit, and the aerodynamic stuff should improve highway fuel economy a bit (EPA tests indicate a 2mpg improvement on the highway).

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The larger diameter tires will effectively raise the gearing a bit, and the aerodynamic stuff should improve highway fuel economy a bit (EPA tests indicate a 2mpg improvement on the highway).

The SFE has larger diameter tires?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think so, SFE and SES have 16" wheels, there are 15" on everything else.

I haven't done the math on the different tires for each, but I bet it's off by a bit

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think so, SFE and SES have 16" wheels, there are 15" on everything else.

I haven't done the math on the different tires for each, but I bet it's off by a bit
The SFE has 15" Alloy wheels. The non-SFE has 15" steel wheels. The only models to have 16" wheels are the SES and SEL.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
SFE comes with 195/60/15 instead of 185/60/15 (S/SE) or 195/50/16 (SES/SEL).

Overall radius in mm:

195/60/15: 307.5
185/60/15: 301.5
195/50/16: 300.7

So the SFE tires are about 2% larger in radius or diameter.

Of course, when the tires are worn out, they lose about 5 to 6 mm in radius.

·
Registered
260 Posts
How fast was your highway speed, what was the average speed (from the multifunction display), and what fuel economy relevant options does your car have (i.e. manual / automatic transmission, wheels (15" steel, 15" aluminum, 16" aluminum), SFE or not, hatchback / sedan, etc.)?

The average speed according the the display says 41mph. That seems odd to me but I've done a bit of in town driving since I arrived so I don't know if it's registering that or what. Right now the display shows the car is getting 41.4mpg. For the bulk of that long drive yesterday I had the cruise control set at 75mph. My car is an SE hatchback with automatic transmission and the sports appearance pkg. Off the top of my head I don't know if those are 15" aluminum or the steel wheels.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
SFE comes with 195/60/15 instead of 185/60/15 (S/SE) or 195/50/16 (SES/SEL).

Overall radius in mm:

195/60/15: 307.5
185/60/15: 301.5
195/50/16: 300.7

So the SFE tires are about 2% larger in radius or diameter.

Of course, when the tires are worn out, they lose about 5 to 6 mm in radius.
SE shows 185/65/15

1 - 20 of 38 Posts