Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all still flinging a Fiesta around town. Going to take my 2011 in to Ford soon to get a transmission ticking sound checked out. It's getting progressively worse, but thought I'd ask if anyone has run into this problem. I searched the threads, but mostly pulled up fluid change info.

Two parts to this:

A) The ticking only happens when in neutral or in gear with the clutch out. Ticking stops after selecting a gear with the clutch in.

B) I was told I had a small trans leak two years ago by a quick oil place, but figured they were yanking my chain. Took a peak underneath the engine to find the source of the ticking when I noticed the trans definitely has some accretion of oil and road grime.

Hypothesis so far: trans throwout bearing is getting wonky or trans is getting low enough on fluid where there's some metal chatter going on.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
57 Posts
From what you described it sounds like the throw out bearing. I would check the trans oil level, especially because it has been leaking for awhile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what you described it sounds like the throw out bearing. I would check the trans oil level, especially because it has been leaking for awhile.
Thanks for the response. Definitely seems like replacing the trans oil early will be part of the puzzle. I had a dealer and an indie shop working under the car in July. I'm surprised they didn't mention how much had accumulated under there.

I've had the shudder that many have described here on colder days when letting it out in first. It never really got worse, but has been consistent. I wonder if it's more related to low lubricant than the rear engine mount some members got replaced (although, it's probably time for that, too).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update for anyone who runs into this same issue down the road:

– Ford didn't want to touch anything (or seem to know what they were doing), but took their $100 diagnostic fee. Basically said it could self-destruct at any point in the near or far future.
– Indy shop didn't think it sounded so bad on a drive-along, and thought it was decidedly not catastrophic. Perhaps even engine or exhaust related.

No one wants to do the simple "stethescope on the ticking bits" procedure, so I guess we'll see what happens.

Both shops said the leak was minor enough to not need a fluid flush (and might mess things up further).

Beyond that, whatever trans or clutch work that would transpire would be worth more than the trade-in value of the car, so hopefully it limps to the next car buy 🤷‍♂️

1 - 4 of 4 Posts