Fiesta Faction banner

6 days later.......check engine

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mach 1 
#1 ·
So my check engine light is on. Dealer can't see me till the morning. Really disappointed right now.

#3 ·
Don't have a ODB-II scanner because my cars have never thrown a check engine light at me before (nor have my bikes). The car is running fine, I don't notice anything wrong with it.

#4 ·
Ran my vehicle health report and it says my Brakes and Suspension needs to be serviced. Maybe Toyota got their hands on my Fiesta when it was stuck on the rail....oh well to the dealership in the morning.

#6 ·
Did you have the parking brake set when you ran the vehicle health report? I ran it once when the engine was not running and the parking brake was set so it detected that the BRAKE light was on, the battery light and the check engine lamp was on. So I ran it later with the parking brake off and the engine running and it checked out fine.

#7 ·
Since the MIL light turned itself off once again my guess is that there is a intemittent problem with some module...

Usually a MIL light will turn off by itself after several driving cycles if the ecu no longer detects an issue.

#8 ·
Ok this is weird....Got the Fiesta on 17th of July....Got up this morning and the battery was dead. Did not think I left anything on. So we jumped the car and I got to work 30 miles away....So went to crank to make sure it would start again and the check engine light was on....Ran a VHR and it said brakes and supension. This is what it said:

The icons below may be illuminated in your dash or console or may appear in your message center. The vehicle diagnostics indicate a parameter that is out of normal range or that a component has failed. Systems within your vehicle need prompt service and/or inspection.
Urgent
Brake Warning»What Should I Do?
Check that the parking brake has been released. If the light remains on, the brake system should be inspected immediately. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
WARNING: Driving a vehicle with the brake system warning light on is dangerous. A significant decrease in braking performance may occur. It will take you longer to stop the vehicle. Have the vehicle checked by your authorized dealer. Driving extended distances with the parking brake engaged can cause brake failure and the risk of personal injury.

»What Is Happening?
Indicates low brake fluid level or a brake system malfunction has been detected.

»What Does This Warning Mean?
Brake system warning light: To confirm the brake system warning light is functional, it will momentarily illuminate when the ignition is turned to the on position when the engine is not running, or in a position between on and start, or by applying the parking brake when the ignition is turned to the on position. If the brake system warning light does not illuminate at this time, seek service immediately from your authorized dealer.
Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level or a brake system malfunction has been detected and the brake system should be inspected immediately. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
Now the ebrake was at this point. Should I contact the dealer? When I leave this afternoon will the CEL light go off after I put the ebrake down??? I don't want to have a problem:confused::(

#9 ·
Ok this is weird....Got the Fiesta on 17th of July....Got up this morning and the battery was dead. Did not think I left anything on. So we jumped the car and I got to work 30 miles away....So went to crank to make sure it would start again and the check engine light was on....Ran a VHR and it said brakes and supension. This is what it said:

The icons below may be illuminated in your dash or console or may appear in your message center. The vehicle diagnostics indicate a parameter that is out of normal range or that a component has failed. Systems within your vehicle need prompt service and/or inspection.
Urgent
Brake Warning»What Should I Do?
Check that the parking brake has been released. If the light remains on, the brake system should be inspected immediately. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.
WARNING: Driving a vehicle with the brake system warning light on is dangerous. A significant decrease in braking performance may occur. It will take you longer to stop the vehicle. Have the vehicle checked by your authorized dealer. Driving extended distances with the parking brake engaged can cause brake failure and the risk of personal injury.

»What Is Happening?
Indicates low brake fluid level or a brake system malfunction has been detected.

»What Does This Warning Mean?
Brake system warning light: To confirm the brake system warning light is functional, it will momentarily illuminate when the ignition is turned to the on position when the engine is not running, or in a position between on and start, or by applying the parking brake when the ignition is turned to the on position. If the brake system warning light does not illuminate at this time, seek service immediately from your authorized dealer.
Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level or a brake system malfunction has been detected and the brake system should be inspected immediately. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.

Now the ebrake was at this point. Should I contact the dealer? When I leave this afternoon will the CEL light go off after I put the ebrake down??? I don't want to have a problem:confused::(
Given what's happened to some other folks, I'd say see how it pans out in the next few days to see if the light goes out. For others, it seems that when the Vehicle Health Report is being "created", it picked up that the "BRAKE" light was on i.e. e-brake was on, and confused it. If that's the case and the the next report runs when the e-brake is not on, then it should be fine.

Then again, it is your car and if you want reassurance, then get it into the dealer for a look (it should be a warrantied item anyhow). Since the car is still "too new", you folks may have stumbled upon a glitch that needs to be ironed out :)

#14 ·
That is NOT accurate....

even IF the MIL turned off a "pending code" is still stored in the ECU that can be accessed by the tech working on the car...a "pending code" is a code that indicates that the ECU HAS detected an issue but since it has been very intermittent the ECU stores tthe code but the MIL stays off until a certain number of occurances then the light will come on again.....

I would still take the car in and ask the SW to have the tech check for any pending codes even though the MIL is not on.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.