Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014 Fiesta Sedan Titanium
I took my car to a Firestone shop for alignment after I wore out a set of tires unevenly (and the steering wheel wasnt 100% straight for awhile). They gave me a printout showing camber and caster off spec. They offered to sell me some sort of bolt for $80 that "might" fix it. I declined of course and suggested I may just replace the entire strut assembly myself. The tech said he could see no obvious damage to anything, control arms looked fine as well as tie rods and struts. He has asked if I had been in any collisions which I said I hadn't. The only thing that had happened was I hit a tree during a storm (about 10-11" dia) at about 40 mph which lodged under the car and needed cut out with chainsaw. The tires had worn and steering wheel was off center before this though, so not sure if that tree had anything to do with things being off to start with. My question is with 76k miles on the car, is replacing the struts and mounts a good course to try to correct the issue? Should I just do the entire thing with the tie rods and control arms as well? Where could there be damage that is not apparent or so slight to not be noticeable? When the steering wheel was off center it did sit off to the right side a slight amount to begin with. I am attaching a photo of the alignment report for reference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. Take it to a competent shop, because it seems Firestone has pretty low standards on who they allow to align vehicles. Brought it there to align after I'd replaced the rear axle, front drivers control arm/bushings/knuckle/bearing (sideways impact at 25mph). They "aligned" my car, and damaged my steering column. Drove it home and wouldn't ya know it, severely toe out. Brought it back for a "realignment" the next day, they only moderately corrected the issue. Tie rods and rack were both in spec and they say they can't fully align it because they're "not given the factory camber measurements." lmao all Fiestas only support toe adjustment. Brought my car to be inspected, asked around for a trusted alignment shop, and bam my car drove without drifting and pandering. There were no broken components in my vehicle, but wood being jammed up under your vehicle at ANY speed will damage or bend components. You, like me, had an accident and too be honest I'm appalled that you didn't consider that a collision.

Again, only allow proper mechanics from proper shops under your car. Corporate bays are evil and will ruin your vehicle for cash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts