Fiesta Faction banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
LOL Mach 1.
My AM doesnt come in good but FM is fine, wasnt gonna say anything about it, but now I see many are having issues with there radios. In the last few years I know many people having a lot of issues with Grounding, are manufacturers saving weight of wire to add another crash device?
Yeah, cheap it on the radios and add a useless feature of the device to light up your feet!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I had this same problem for about a month on my 2012 Fiesta. Sometimes the radio would be completely unusable (esp AM) and sometimes it was OK...
...My AM doesnt come in good but FM is fine, wasnt gonna say anything about it, but now I see many are having issues with there radios...
Hi NewFFOwner and ahm1127,

I recommend making an appointment at your local dealership so they can take a look. I'm also happy to look into options to assist; send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. Thanks!

...We have a great Ford customer rep here, they have no problem receiving PM's to escalate service to the next level if you feel your dealer isn't up to par with what you consider good service....
Thanks, Mach 1! I appreciate the shout-out. :)

Crystal

·
Registered
470 Posts
I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that the antenna for the radio was in the rear window and that stubby antenna on the top was just the Sirius satellite radio antenna. I'm wondering if anyone can do research and know for sure.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The stubby antenna is for the radio. The Sirius antenna is in the base portion of the stubby antenna mount. The wires in the rear window are just for the defogger.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is a TSB # SSM32064 about the bad AM reception. There doing mine this week. It involve something about changing the antenna assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a TSB # SSM32064 about the bad AM reception. There doing mine this week. It involve something about changing the antenna assembly.

I have a 2011 Fiesta SE and for 2+ years the AM was acceptable, nothing like my Ranger (traded) or F150 (now) but it would pick up distant AM stations at times and was pretty clear for local stations. There was little or no static. About 2 weeks ago, suddenly I have really bad static on AM, and poor radio reception for all AM stations. FM remains good, but there are no FM stations I would listen to around here.

I called the local Ford Dealer with the above TSB and they replaced the antenna mount assembly within 3 days. However, this did little or nothing to help the problem. I still have poor reception on AM and static that sunds like a short wave radio at all times.

I may try another dealer to see if they have any ideas but I have little confidence of a satisfactory repair. Not sure what to do now, since I only listen to AM and it is unlistenable now - and I have a 35+ minute commute each day.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
...I may try another dealer to see if they have any ideas but I have little confidence of a satisfactory repair. Not sure what to do now, since I only listen to AM and it is unlistenable now - and I have a 35+ minute commute each day.
Hi TLansberry,

I’d like to take a look at this, send me a PM with your VIN, current mileage, dealer name/location, your best daytime phone number, and your full name. I can check into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Meagan for your assistance. Per your call to me and the visit back to the Ford dealer, the problem seemes to be fixed! Specccio Ford did a great job finding the main issue - they referenced two TSB's and still the AM radio was not to standards. They investigated further and found there was a loose connection in the wiring (to the antenna?) behind the access panel at the front passenger side floor (under the glove box area). Not entirely sure what they did as far as making sure it would not loosen again but it works as it did originally now. They could have just stopped after doing the TSB's but they kept at it and found the major wiring issue.

The radio reception is acceptable now, still not as good as my 2008 F150 or my daughter's 2006 Focus (probably due to the larger antenna on these older vehicles), but at least it's back to as good as it can be with what is there.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Thanks Meagan for your assistance...Not entirely sure what they did as far as making sure it would not loosen again but it works as it did originally now. They could have just stopped after doing the TSB's but they kept at it and found the major wiring issue.

The radio reception is acceptable now...
You’re welcome. :)

Excellent! I’m glad to hear everything’s worked out and that your dealer really made sure things were taken care of.

Meagan

·
Registered
8 Posts
You’re welcome. :)

Excellent! I’m glad to hear everything’s worked out and that your dealer really made sure things were taken care of.

Meagan
Well, a few months have gone by...and now the AM reception is terrible again. My 2008 F150 is clear all the way to work (25 miles). Same AM station on the 2011 Fiesta is pretty much unlistenable. It never was as good as the F150, but now it's really bad - sounds like a short wave radio trying to find a station with all sorts of squelching noise in the background. The vehicle is out of warranty now, of course so I'm on my own I guess...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2012 Fiesta SES hatchback which I bought new in September 2012. The car was built in July 2012. My Fiesta is outstanding, but I too have experienced poor AM radio reception since I bought the car. FM and Sirius satellite are not effected and work great. My Fiesta is getting close to the end of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, so I decided to have my dealer take a look and listen.

I live in the Chicago area, which has 7 very powerful AM stations. They should ALL come in crystal clear day and night. The broadcasting towers of the AM stations are not located in the same area. Basically the farther away the tower is from where I am driving, the weaker the reception.

I drive mostly in the northern suburbs, but the 2 powerful stations that transmit from the south suburbs come in poorly. Some days are better than others. Reception seems to be worse at night than daytime. On these 2 stations, I hear a swirls, a constant high-pitch squeal, and audio that fades from average to bad. My metro area also has numerous lower power AM locals, which are mostly unlistenable unless I am driving within a few miles of a station's tower. With other cars that I have owned in the past, I usually had good AM reception. My understanding is that car radios are supposed to be better than home or portable radios, but that's not the case with my Fiesta.

I provided the Technical Service Bulletin number mentioned above (TSB # SSM32064) to my dealer, but I was told the TSB doesn't apply to my VIN number. The service writer at the dealer told me that they don't have any information on a replacement antenna assembly. And he doesn't want to replace the assembly with the same part number that is already on the car because the same part won't fix the problem. He suggested that I call Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673. I explained the situation to the representative, who in turn called my dealer and talked to the technician. Sadly the technician told Ford Customer Service that there was nothing wrong with my AM radio, which is 100% NOT TRUE. The service writer indicated that AM is not going to sound good because the band is "AM". Again, NOT TRUE.

I discovered on a Ford Focus fansite, that poor AM reception is effected on several models (Focus, Fiesta, Explorer, Flex). I showed this to my dealer as well:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358497

I suspect many Fiesta owners don't listen to AM (as confirmed in prior messages on this thread), therefore they are not complaining about the AM radio. I just want to receive AM stations clearly. Why doesn't the TSB apply to my VIN? Is there anything that can be done to improve my reception?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2012 Fiesta SES hatchback which I bought new in September 2012. The car was built in July 2012. My Fiesta is outstanding, but I too have experienced poor AM radio reception since I bought the car. FM and Sirius satellite are not effected and work great. My Fiesta is getting close to the end of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, so I decided to have my dealer take a look and listen.

I live in the Chicago area, which has 8 very powerful AM stations. They should ALL come in crystal clear day and night. The broadcasting towers of the AM stations are spread out and not located in the same area. Basically the farther away the tower is from where I am driving, the weaker the reception.

I drive mostly in the northern suburbs, but the 2 powerful stations that transmit from the south suburbs come in poorly. Some days are better than others. Reception seems to be worse at night than daytime. On these 2 stations, I hear a swirls, a constant high-pitch squeal, and audio that fades from average to bad. My metro area also has numerous lower power AM locals, which are mostly unlistenable unless I am driving within a few miles of a station's tower. With other cars that I have owned in the past, I usually had good AM reception. My understanding is that car radios are supposed to be better than home or portable radios, but that's not the case with my Fiesta, which is a swirly mess.

I provided the Technical Service Bulletin number mentioned above (TSB # SSM32064) to my dealer, but I was told the TSB doesn't apply to my VIN number. The service writer at the dealer told me that they don't have any information on a replacement antenna assembly. And he doesn't want to replace the assembly with the same part number that is already on the car because the same part won't fix the problem. He suggested that I call Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673. I explained the situation to the representative, who in turn called my dealer and talked to the technician. Sadly the technician told Ford Customer Service that there was nothing wrong with my AM radio, which is 100% FALSE. The service writer indicated that AM is not going to sound good in general because the band is "AM". Again, that's FALSE.

I discovered on a Ford Focus fansite, which described poor AM reception on several models (Focus, Fiesta, Explorer, Flex). I showed this to my dealer as well:

I suspect many Fiesta owners don't listen to AM (as confirmed in prior messages on this thread), therefore they are not complaining about the AM radio. I just want my AM radio to work. Why doesn't the TSB apply to my VIN? Is there anything that can be done to improve my reception?

·
Registered
4 Posts

I live in the Chicago area, which has 8 very powerful AM stations. They should ALL come in crystal clear day and night. The broadcasting towers of the AM stations are spread out and not located in the same area. Basically the farther away the tower is from where I am driving, the weaker the reception.

I drive mostly in the northern suburbs, but the 2 powerful stations that transmit from the south suburbs come in poorly. Some days are better than others. Reception seems to be worse at night than daytime. On these 2 stations, I hear a swirls, a constant high-pitch squeal, and audio that fades from average to bad. My metro area also has numerous lower power AM locals, which are mostly unlistenable unless I am driving within a few miles of a station's tower. With other cars that I have owned in the past, I usually had good AM reception. My understanding is that car radios are supposed to be better than home or portable radios, but that's not the case with my Fiesta, which sounds like a swirly mess.

I provided the Technical Service Bulletin number mentioned above (TSB # SSM32064) to my dealer, but I was told the TSB doesn't apply to my VIN number. The service writer at the dealer told me that they don't have any information on a replacement antenna assembly. And he doesn't want to replace the assembly with the same part number that is already on the car because the same part won't fix the problem. He suggested that I call Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673. I explained the situation to the representative, who in turn called my dealer and talked to the technician. Sadly the technician told Ford Customer Service that there was nothing wrong with my AM radio, which is 100% FALSE. The service writer indicated that AM is not going to sound good in general because the band is "AM". Again, that's FALSE.

I discovered on a Ford Focus fansite, which described poor AM reception on several models (Focus, Fiesta, Explorer, Flex). I showed this to my dealer as well:

I suspect many Fiesta owners don't listen to AM (as confirmed in prior messages on this thread), therefore they are not complaining about the AM radio. I just want my AM radio to work. Why doesn't the TSB apply to my VIN? Is there anything that can be done to improve my reception?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased my 2013 Ford Fiesta and unfortunately did not turn on the AM radio. FM seems ok but the AM stations are all crackly. I contacted the dealer about this. They said I could bring it in but they are sure that they know what the problem is and it is happening in other Ford vehicles except the trucks?! I was told "I" would have to purchase an 'after-market' fix. Well, that seems a bit unfair and unrealistic. I see the TS# mentioned by others. The car has 18K miles and should be covered for faulty parts and certainly radio (reception).

Suggestions from others?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sucks that nobody answered you! I have good days & bad days with my AM, seems to work better when its warm & dry though. There seem to be many problems like that though.
Did you get issue resolved or just got a new car?

I drive mostly in the northern suburbs, but the 2 powerful stations that transmit from the south suburbs come in poorly. Some days are better than others. Reception seems to be worse at night than daytime. On these 2 stations, I hear a swirls, a constant high-pitch squeal, and audio that fades from average to bad. My metro area also has numerous lower power AM locals, which are mostly unlistenable unless I am driving within a few miles of a station's tower. With other cars that I have owned in the past, I usually had good AM reception. My understanding is that car radios are supposed to be better than home or portable radios, but that's not the case with my Fiesta, which sounds like a swirly mess.

·
Registered
804 Posts
You shouldnt have to purchase anything, it has warranty & you paid for a car with AM radio & wont leave it alone until it has AM radio. Ask them to put new radio &/or antenna in & see if it helps. I still think our cars have a grounding issue & most dealers dont have expertise or time for it! Good luck

I purchased my 2013 Ford Fiesta and unfortunately did not turn on the AM radio. FM seems ok but the AM stations are all crackly. I contacted the dealer about this. They said I could bring it in but they are sure that they know what the problem is and it is happening in other Ford vehicles except the trucks?! I was told "I" would have to purchase an 'after-market' fix. Well, that seems a bit unfair and unrealistic. I see the TS# mentioned by others. The car has 18K miles and should be covered for faulty parts and certainly radio (reception).

Suggestions from others?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the posting on the issue I am facing. I believe I will move forward and force the issue with the Ford garage personnel. Have a good day.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts

Suggestions from others?
Welcome to the forum, billy!

I recommend going ahead with the appointment at your dealership for diagnosis. Once the appointment's set up, please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

... I have good days & bad days with my AM, seems to work better when its warm & dry though...
When was your most recent dealer visit for your radio? Please let me know, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 fiesta radi issues

Welcome to the forum, billy!

I recommend going ahead with the appointment at your dealership for diagnosis. Once the appointment's set up, please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

When was your most recent dealer visit for your radio? Please let me know, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan

-----
My latest appt was on 9/16/2015.

MY NAME: BILLY
DEALER NAME: MIKE MURPHY FORD, MORTON, IL
*in my l last visit I was told the local channels come in ok so they felt there was no problem. they do not come in ok and are inconsistent at best.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
-----
My latest appt was on 9/16/2015. VIN: [REDACTED]
PH: [REDACTED]
MY NAME: BILLY [REDACTED]
DEALER NAME: MIKE MURPHY FORD, MORTON, IL
*in my l last visit I was told the local channels come in ok so they felt there was no problem. they do not come in ok and are inconsistent at best.
Thanks for responding!

I recommend editing your post to delete your VIN, number, and last name for privacy reasons. Please private message me your best daytime phone number, and I'll look into this further.

Meagan

21 - 40 of 53 Posts