Fiesta Faction banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
how shall I private message you from this forum? I see no private response/email button.
Here's an image to supplement Captainmorbid's explanation. :)

I'll keep an eye out for your message.

Just click on the name, which should bring up the members profile page, find the send message to button. And that's the ball game. ;)
Thanks!

Meagan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can vouch for the radio being less than stellar in FM as well. It seems worse in the rain although this could just be me. Either way out of all the vehicles we own the Fiesta is the worst as far as radio reception is concerned. Took it to two separate dealers. The first replaced the screw off antenna assembly, which did nothing. The second smeared permatex all over the threads where the antenna and base mate. DOH! Who was the genius that did that? Ruined reception, spent two hours cleaning it off the threads, had black hands and sticky goop everywhere.

The car is now one month out of bumper to bumper so I purchased a slightly longer antenna mast off amazon and if anything the reception is worse. I'm going to try flipping on the rear defroster to see if it could be a ground issue, but either way I've pretty much given up the goat at this point and am going to get an aftermarket headunit...which has a lot of features like bluetooth I wanted anyway. I'll make sure they ground it well.

Ford is the most European of the US brands......and that includes their wiring gremlins!! Why are we talking about radio reception in the 21st century?!

...still love me Fiesta tho :) Gives me an excuse to get that fancy headunit I've always wanted.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a 2011 SES, since day one it has had a high pitch squeal on one AM station. The station is the strongest in MN and only happens on that frequency. MY wife Nitro does not have this issue or any other radio I listen to. So, the Fiesta is the issue and I live with it. When it happens I just change the channel to FM/Satellite/CD.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have a 2011 SES, since day one it has had a high pitch squeal on one AM station. The station is the strongest in MN and only happens on that frequency. MY wife Nitro does not have this issue or any other radio I listen to. So, the Fiesta is the issue and I live with it. When it happens I just change the channel to FM/Satellite/CD.
Have you been to your dealer to get this checked out, wysiwyg?

Meagan

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2013 SFE's AM radio isn't great. FM is fine. The AM radio works well if I don't start it. You don't even have to put the car into ACCESSORY - just press the radio's power button and it will play for an hour then turn off. There's no interference going into Accessory or even into start. The interference starts once I start the engine. When the engine's running I can hear a mid to high pitched tone - like a whistling - sweeping quickly up and down, at times wiping out reception. Kinda sounds like a bird call, high and medium pitched clicking and popping. Turn the car off and the interference goes away. AM radio operates on much lower frequencies than FM and is far more susceptible to electrical noise. My 2011 SE doesn't have the problem and her AM radio isn't affected at all when her car is running of off.

Folks used to install resistor spark plugs in their cars to reduce engine induced electrical noise from interfering with their installed business radios, or AM radios for that matter.

From NGK website:

"When should I use a resistor spark plug? A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking. NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics. They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer. In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion."

·
Registered
470 Posts
You guys need to realize there is a reason we are getting away from AM. It's susceptible to all kinds of interference. Having a high pitched squeal on one station sounds like leaking from the ignition system. Think it's bad in this car? Try AM in a car from the 50's. There was so much electrical noise from those things each car had its own call sign.

AM is not like FM. AM is sensitive to time of day, sunspot cycle, weather, antennae location and orientation to the horizon, etc etc. The AM reception of a radio, assuming its tuned correctly internally, is not determined by the radio, its all in the antenna. The antenna for this car is probably set up to be optimized on FM. You also might have the car parked behind a metal building or metal garage or storage building, or there be a metal structure between your antenna and the transmitting antenna. ANY of these things will screw with your reception. The only way to really test the reception is to drive to the top of the highest structure in your area, usually a parking garage. Go to the roof. Up there you should get decent reception.

What are my qualifications on this? Well I am a HAM radio operator, general class. I hope my knowledge in this realm has helped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The MAIN problem with the Fiesta's dicy radio reception in marginal signal areas is the shorty antenna. I can easily notice the better reception strength in my Ranger (normal antenna) as compared to the Fiesta. I don't know how you'd do it, but if you want better radio reception, then a longer antenna would be a good first step. I can't speak for the quality of the Fiesta's electronics. That would require some expensive test equipment.

The shorty antenna looks cool, but best radio reception requires that the antenna length (practically speaking) be 1/4 wavelength long, which is roughly 30" long for the center of the FM band. For AM, 1/4 wavelength would be something like a thousand feet long which is obviously impractical.
[/QUOTE

We just swapped our 2001 Fiesta, which had a short aerial and a radio bought separately, for a 2013 Fiesta with the built-in radio. Both antennae short, and exactly the same length. The old radio was great, the new radio is terrible. In north-east London it works fine, but as soon as you get out of London the reception is so patchy on FM that it's just a case of giving up and listening to CDs. Very disappointed. It's the tuner, it has very low sensitivity. Increasing the length of the antenna won't, in my opinion, make a massive difference, but it's an obvious option to try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can vouch for the radio being less than stellar in FM as well. It seems worse in the rain although this could just be me. Either way out of all the vehicles we own the Fiesta is the worst as far as radio reception is concerned. Took it to two separate dealers. The first replaced the screw off antenna assembly, which did nothing. The second smeared permatex all over the threads where the antenna and base mate. DOH! Who was the genius that did that? Ruined reception, spent two hours cleaning it off the threads, had black hands and sticky goop everywhere.

The car is now one month out of bumper to bumper so I purchased a slightly longer antenna mast off amazon and if anything the reception is worse. I'm going to try flipping on the rear defroster to see if it could be a ground issue, but either way I've pretty much given up the goat at this point and am going to get an aftermarket headunit...which has a lot of features like bluetooth I wanted anyway. I'll make sure they ground it well.

Ford is the most European of the US brands......and that includes their wiring gremlins!! Why are we talking about radio reception in the 21st century?!

...still love me Fiesta tho :) Gives me an excuse to get that fancy headunit I've always wanted.
I'm pretty sure Ford has simply installed a cheap and weak tuner. The aerial should be completely adequate for the job, short aerials like this are standard on cars. Even in domestic radios there are huge differences in senstitivity. Here's a reply I posted below on this:

We just swapped our 2001 Fiesta, which had a short aerial and a radio bought separately, for a 2013 Fiesta with the built-in radio. Both antennae short, and exactly the same length. The old radio was great, the new radio is terrible. In north-east London it works fine, but as soon as you get out of London the reception is so patchy on FM that it's just a case of giving up and listening to CDs. Very disappointed. It's the tuner, it has very low sensitivity. Increasing the length of the antenna won't, in my opinion, make a massive difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You guys need to realize there is a reason we are getting away from AM. It's susceptible to all kinds of interference. Having a high pitched squeal on one station sounds like leaking from the ignition system. Think it's bad in this car? Try AM in a car from the 50's. There was so much electrical noise from those things each car had its own call sign.

AM is not like FM. AM is sensitive to time of day, sunspot cycle, weather, antennae location and orientation to the horizon, etc etc. The AM reception of a radio, assuming its tuned correctly internally, is not determined by the radio, its all in the antenna. The antenna for this car is probably set up to be optimized on FM. You also might have the car parked behind a metal building or metal garage or storage building, or there be a metal structure between your antenna and the transmitting antenna. ANY of these things will screw with your reception. The only way to really test the reception is to drive to the top of the highest structure in your area, usually a parking garage. Go to the roof. Up there you should get decent reception.

What are my qualifications on this? Well I am a HAM radio operator, general class. I hope my knowledge in this realm has helped.
However, the FM radio tuner on the Fiesta is equally poor/low-sensitivity, by a large factor comparing the bought-in radio on our recently traded 2001 Fiesta with the built-in unit on the 2013 model. Is it possible to buy a replacement unit, do you know?

41 - 53 of 53 Posts