Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I'm looking at a new Ford Fiesta, but so far have only been able to test drive the 6 speed dual-clutch manual (automatic) transmission.

I've seen some online reviews of the manual, and some with the automatic, but none that detail the difference in feel and performance between the two.

Anyone have any thoughts, or seen any detailed reviews on this?

Thanks - jb

·
Registered
305 Posts
I own the 6 speed auto but have driven the 5 speed manual many times.

I love the stick but my wife can't drive one and wants to be able to drive my car.

It all depends on what you want ....
- Fuel economy is better with the auto by 1-2 MPG
- The manual is more fun to drive and feels peppier
- The auto does not allow you to shift gears manually (no paddles, etc)
- The clutch doesn't take much effort to function
- If you tire of shifting then the auto is for you
- The auto is a little harsher shifting then other autos (no torque converter) and
is shifted by computer control (kinda like having two sets of manual trans in one)

Hope that helps!!!!!!

P.S.

For the fun factor (if you like shifting) go with the manual!!!!!!!

If you want to add more HP to it (turbo, etc) in the future, I don't think the auto can take the added torque (another thing to think about)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you want to add more HP to it (turbo, etc) in the future, I don't think the auto can take the added torque (another thing to think about)
According to Getrag's (manufacturer of the transmission) the transmission has a maximum torque capacity of 240NM to 280NM which translates to 176 ft lbs to 206 ft lbs of torque.

So if you don't add insane amounts of power you should be fine
Getrag Adds Second-Generation DCT With Dry Clutch - Industry at a Glance - DCTFACTS.COM

·
Registered
145 Posts
After driving both I chose the auto. During my test drive the auto pulled better up hills, which helps me considerably since I live in the foothills. I'm guessing tighter ratios made the difference. Other qualities that tipped the scales for me - the REALLY tight spacing between the pedals on the manual (not good), and the slightly better MPG for the auto.

I haven't regretted the choice so far, and I'm really liking the compression braking when using hill mode, as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts